nationwide cashpoint problem abroad

Options
hello,

abroad in new york on holiday at the moment, using the nationwide current account for cash withdawals with no charges.

Unfortunately, last Friday eve, i couldn't get any cash out (tried about 10 ATMs) and had to resort to getting cash via $40 cash advance from nationwide credit card to tide me over.

When i called nationwide, they said it was a routine temporary ATM closedown due to system maintainance, set for early hours of the morning (back to normal next day). However, time difference meant it was no use to me needing cash at a key time in
the evening in New york.

Nationwide said they would not automatically refund cash advance charges or interest as info was publicised on their website etc.

Not impressed with this as one of the selling points of the account is no cash charges for ATM use abroad. Being left stranded without access to cash abroad unless i use their expensive credit card cash advance isn't exactly what I envisioned when i opened the account.

Still in New york so will have to wait till i get back to deal with nationwide, but any advice welcome in the meantime.

wongo.

Comments

• ezhik
    ezhik Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Having withdrawn cash on your VISA card, I would think its a good idea to transfer enough money from your Flex account into your CC account to settle the whole amount on your CC. If you are flush enough to be able to so, then balancing your CC account before waiting for your statement you will save some of interest due on the cash withdrawal.

Ezhik
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you had been in the UK at the same time you would have still been stranded with no way to get out cash though. You being abroad is just a bad coincidence. Would you be attempting to claim the money if you had been over here(and also suggestions for how/when Nationwide can do ATM maintenance)? Just bad timing rather than anything malicious on Nationwides part
  • student100
    student100 Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't think any bank guarantees 24/7 access to their services. You'd always be advised to have a backup plan (e.g. always keep at least a tenner in your wallet...). Incidentally, I'd be surprised if there are many places in New York where you can't just spend on the Visa CC?
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ^^^ what they all said.

There's no guarantee that any card facility will work 24/7/365 - all systems need maintenance, upgrades, etc., and it's not the bank/BS's liability to compensate in these circumstances. If you withdrew $40, the interest you are talking about is peanuts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure