Regular Savings Accounts Article Discussion

Comments

• mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    This is an odd one.

From our joint current account I started a joint Flexclusive saver 3 months ago - up to £500 a month 5% interest and it expires in January next year.

Then in February I spotted a Nationwide regular saver 5% so I wondered if I could open it from my own personal nationwide Flexdirect and the system let me open the account and also the standing order went through at the start of the month.

This morning I had a weird cash addition to the account and they have cancelled the new Nationwide regular saver 5% as apparently I cant have 2 - even though the current accounts are different and the savings accounts are not the same thing either - different names.

Back last year my OH opened a Flexclusive regular saver from his own current Flexdirect and this is going to mature in April - so for the last few months technically he has had 2 regular savers - again there seemed to be nothing to stop this.

I am expecting a letter from Nationwide shortly, don't know wether its worth arguing my case
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • Jo_Blogs
    Jo_Blogs Posts: 753
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    edited 16 March 2017 at 3:09PM
    Virgin Money - New as from today

Regular E-Saver Issue 4 £250 pm 2.25%

There's also a parallel Store version for those who can easily get to one. (Issue 3)

http://uk.virginmoney.com/savings/find/results/#all (easy access)
    Saved Nitty Gritty £7440.75 [149%] / £5000-[Sep] £58.44:starmod: for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £3463.27 ;)Sept NSDs 4/15:staradminCCCChl 9/12 months:D
    Sept PPChl#002 Pts 71
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,840
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Jo_Blogs wrote: »
    Virgin Money - New as from today

Regular E-Saver Issue 4 £250 pm 2.25%

Excellent. Thanks for the heads-up, now opened this to join Issues 2, 3 and the Matchday one.

Might only be £50 a year but that's £200 near enough across four accounts for a few minutes work a time. Plus in theory when one matures a new one may come to take its place and I can cycle the money.
  • Jo_Blogs
    Jo_Blogs Posts: 753
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    edited 16 March 2017 at 5:30PM
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Excellent. Thanks for the heads-up, now opened this to join Issues 2, 3 and the Matchday one.

Might only be £50 a year but that's £200 near enough across four accounts for a few minutes work a time. Plus in theory when one matures a new one may come to take its place and I can cycle the money.

You're very welcome :)
    Saved Nitty Gritty £7440.75 [149%] / £5000-[Sep] £58.44:starmod: for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £3463.27 ;)Sept NSDs 4/15:staradminCCCChl 9/12 months:D
    Sept PPChl#002 Pts 71
  • dekkard
    dekkard Posts: 228
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The MSE Regular Savings accounts page has a calculator on it but does anyone know of a site that has a calculator that shows the effect of drip-feeding a lump sum from one account into multiple regular savings accounts?
  • Hal17
    Hal17 Posts: 234
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Did anyone else receive some interest in their Virgin monthly savers today? Even though I requested an annual interest period and I have many months until they mature - not sure whats going on.
  • mgarl10024
    mgarl10024 Posts: 643
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hal17 wrote: »
    Did anyone else receive some interest in their Virgin monthly savers today? Even though I requested an annual interest period and I have many months until they mature - not sure whats going on.

The Virgin ones, if annual, pay interest on March 11th.
  • Hal17
    Hal17 Posts: 234
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 16 March 2017 at 7:20PM
    mgarl10024 wrote: »
    The Virgin ones, if annual, pay interest on March 11th.

Thank you - I always assumed I would not get any interest until the actual mature date on each of the regular savers.:)
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 8,790
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    It's a bit weird. I opened the Matchday E-Saver on 27/02/17 and received interest on 11/03/17. It will still be open on 11/03/18 when I'll get more interest and when it matures on 20/03/18 I'll get a bit more again
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback