How to wipe personal info from a phone before selling it

I'm looking for advice on how to wipe my personal info and browsing and password history from a galaxy 5. I'm getting the newer model as my phone company told me I can upgrade with no more cost than I'm paying on contract now. Vodafone let you have an upgrade when the two years are up apparently which is good. I'm going to give my old phone to a friend who lost their I phone but wasn't covered for loss and can't have a replacement from their phone provider until November unless they pay over four hundred. What do I have to do to clear my phone of personal info before I hand it over?.

Comments

• pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    remove memory card if fitted , do a full factory reset and make new user sign in with there google account NOT YOU or YOURS , if you sign back in with yours it will refresh a lot of info and settings
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Madbags
    Madbags Posts: 222 Forumite
    I know you're selling to a friend and not to some website who sends it on to a random country but if you have access to a PC/Laptop a lot of these websites will have "Data Delete" tools.

https://www.mazumamobile.com/mobile-data-delete-tool/

The above is an example.
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Madbags wrote: »
    I know you're selling to a friend and not to some website who sends it on to a random country but if you have access to a PC/Laptop a lot of these websites will have "Data Delete" tools.

https://www.mazumamobile.com/mobile-data-delete-tool/

The above is an example.

tools?

instructions by email

Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F

Factory Data Reset (Resets handset and erases all data)

Switch handset on
    From main home screen, tap Apps icon
    Tap Settings
    Tap Backup and reset
    Tap Factory data reset
    Tap Reset device*
    Tap Erase everything
    Device will switch off and restart. This may take a few minutes.
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • harrys_dad
    harrys_dad Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why not keep your phone and move to a SIM only deal? Your current deal over two years included a huge amount to buy the phone. Yes you can "get a new phone for no more than you are paying now" but all you are actually doing is buying a new phone having spent two years buying the old one. "Free upgrade" is just a con to persuade you to buy a new phone every two years.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    I'm having a weird sense of deja vu here ... this thread is almost identical to one I've seen previously, quite some time ago.
  • harrys_dad
    harrys_dad Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    DoaM wrote: »
    I'm having a weird sense of deja vu here ... this thread is almost identical to one I've seen previously, quite some time ago.

it comes up every two years at "free upgrade" time :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure