Protected No Claims Car Ins

Is it worth having ?
It pays to challenge

Comments

• Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just get quotes with and without protected NCD and you can soon judge for yourself. Personally, I would not consider a policy without it.
  • Depends on how much they load your premium, aginst how much the discount is. It is effectively just another insurance policy, and luike most insurance policies you need to evaluate cost v (probability and magnitude = risk).

Also bear in mind that even with protected NCB your premiums will probably go up after an accident because your driving record just got worse.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It typically costs 15% of your premium.

And if you have a claim, you would normally lose 2 years' NCD, or 20%, in the first year, 10% in the second year, none in the third. (Assuming you started on 60% and revert to 40%, then 50%, then 60%).

So it costs you 15% of 60% each year = 9%.

And saves you 30% each time you claim (but actually more, because your gross premium will rise after you claim).

So if you claim more than once every 3 years, on average, and it's your fault, it's definitely worth having. If you claim less than once every 4 years, on average, and it's your fault, it's probably not.

I don't have it because neither of my wife and I have had a fault claim in donkey's years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure