2 drivers v 2 policies

Hello all,
Me and my partner are both insured to drive our car. She is the policy holder as she has the longest no-claim period, but I am the main driver (work!).
In this way I'm not accumulationg any no-claim bonus at all, which I don't particularly like. I wanted to ask you all if you knew if it's cheaper to have 2 separate policies instead of having an additional driver on hers.

Thanks beforehand

M.

Comments

• scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    not 100% sure if you can have 2 policies for 1 car. There'd probably be an issue regarding any insurance claims. If the car got stolen you (some people) could make 2 insurance claims and get paid out twice
  • Then I have misunderstood this quote from the expanded version of Martin's car insurance article. Can anybody explain?
    Thanks

Add a second person

Rather than increasing the price adding a second driver with a good record, even if they won’t use the car, sometimes reduces the premium as it smooths out the average risk. It won’t always work, but it is worth playing with quotes.
  • m00nie
    m00nie Posts: 2,314 Forumite
    Then I have misunderstood this quote from the expanded version of Martin's car insurance article. Can anybody explain?
    Thanks

Add a second person

Rather than increasing the price adding a second driver with a good record, even if they won’t use the car, sometimes reduces the premium as it smooths out the average risk. It won’t always work, but it is worth playing with quotes.

basically if you applied for you insurance alone normally, sometimes it can work out cheaper if you add your wife(or whoever)

it dosent always work, but play with the quote when doing it online
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    another thing with regard to insurance for those who are learning to drive - buy and insure your car, before you take your test

its actually cheaper to insure a car on a provisional licence, than as a newly qualified driver - as when learning to drive, you have an experienced person next to you, which makes you less likely to have an accident, so premiums are lower - that way you can build up your no claims allowance, so when you do finally pass your test, and in the excitement crash your car -

as for taking out two policies on one car, seems a bit pointless, just to try and maintain your no claims bonus - most insurance companies do take into account the fact that couples tend to share cars/insurance, and therefore the named person, still retains their NCD, although not maybe at the full level

also as you are the main driver of the car, the insurance should be in your name, with your partner as the named person
  • paulocd
    paulocd Posts: 9 Forumite
    As far as I know with Direct line, if you are married (I think you really need to be married - partner only does not qualify), the no claims bonus applies to both drivers and not to one driver only.
    Years ago, I have put my wife on my direct line policy and she got advantage of my no claims bonus and now she is the main driver and is using my no claims bonus without any problems. As far as I understood, the no claims bonus applies to the household (at least with Direct Line).
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I thing both flea and Paul have misunderstood things slightly here.

The NCD applies to the policy. And hence the discount applies whether or not you add additional drivers. It doesn't matter if you change the main driver - but if you changed the name of the policyholder, most insurers would not allow the NCD to be transferred.

As for flea's comments, most companies will NOT let the named person "retain" their NCD - if they had one in the first place - or earn one. BUT some insurers will grant a large introductory discount to a named driver who goes on to take out their own policy, if they have had a good history. It's not strictly giving an NCD entitlement, but at a reduced level - but I can see how you could see it like that.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm about to stop driving for a few months and I am the policy holder and currently named as the main driver, which clearly I won't be for the rest of this year. But when I checked what we needed to do with Direct Line they said that it didn't matter who the policyholder was: another named driver could be the main driver. So all I need to do is to tell them that DH is now the main driver, and that I'm not driving. It will be interesting to see if that puts the policy up or not!

What's important to the insurance co. is to know who the MAIN driver is: if there is any doubt about who the main driver is (and I don't know how you would work this out for us in a 'normal' year short of us keeping a log!) then I would recommend naming the least experienced or accident prone driver! Otherwise, if that person has an accident and was NOT named as the main driver, the insurance company MAY try to refuse the claim on the grounds that you had not given accurate information. If, as a parent taking out insurance for a student away from home at university, you do not name the student as the main driver, then do not let the car stay at the university or you will not have a leg to stand on.

But as I've said already tonight, the best place for car questions is Honest John - The Back Room forum often discusses insurance, but if you can't find a definitive answer then you can register and ask your own.

In response to the OP, some insurance companies will give an 'introductory' discount to new policyholders, especially if you have a good record on someone else's policy, but the NCD does belong to the policy. Ours is so low right now it might be a good time to hand it over to my DH anyway ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport