Stash Busting 2018 - I WILL use my mountains of craft stash before buying more!

nimbo
nimbo Posts: 3,698
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
Hi crafters,

Using the concept from the 2017 thread (and going back as far as 2014 I think...) - originally set up by 'Crafting Mad' - this is hopefully to keep us all on track - and to help us all workour way through our crazy big stashes...

Welcome to the new 2018 stash busters thread.

You can find the 2016 thread here:-
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5386359

and the 2017 thread here:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5580023

Well done to all the crafters who took part in 2017. Everyone was amazing and the thread helped so many people that hopefully 2018 can be the same.

For those of you who are new here are a quick recap of the (very loose) rules:-

The rules of the challenge are simple.

You can make anything you like but everything you make must be made using items from your current stash.

You are allowed to print things from cds etc and print any photos etc which may be needed for scrap booking pages but you must not buy any new stash until your target has been met (except for if it is something to enable you to finish of a project such as adhesive etc).

However this challenge is just for fun so if you do sin (and I'm sure there will be many - with me at the top of the list!!) then post for forgiveness and keep creating and having fun xxx

So who's with me this year? Tell me your target and you'll be added to the list Old and new members are welcomed alike

Anyone can join in at any time

Happy stash busting

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
:T:T

Comments

• nimbo
    Forumite
    edited 24 February 2018 at 6:12PM
    Second post for targets.... (which I will try to keep updated - but i don't often log on from my laptop and i cannot do this from my phone)
    Targets and progress...

Nimbo 45 / 500
    Bit by bit
    *Jellie*
    Mrs Money Penny
    Magical 5 / 35
    Greetiger
    Crafting mad 70 / 700
    deb 4
    Bit by Bit 0 / 12

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
  • nimbo
    Forumite
    As always start the year with such high hopes.... Haha

I am hoping to get through alot of the stuff currently cluttering up my craft room. I have load of pictures to hang and things that I wish to frame. (I'm seriously torn with this as we're desperate to move house and buy and i have a sinking suspicion that my landlady is going to sell this house - so am loath to actually decorate etc but think it would be so much less depressing if we did)... It would also free up a load of space i the craft room...

My projects for this year are at this point:

1. Embroidered unicorn fabric - to be hung in the square card frame - STARTED
    I'm actually a little bit impressed as i have made my self a kit to do this - made the design and everything... It's going to be epic. It will however require i sew thousands of french knots which do in fact make my eyes go funny so after one of the colours i have been taking a break...

2. Paint the small table and fill with sea glass - which ill have a resin top - it's been on the list forever now. (However i do need to buy paint and the resin which has been one of the reasons it has been out off so long - I've never done it before and it will be expensive if it goes wrong)

3. Alice in Wonderland pictures-to print and hang...

4. Rainbow quilt - it's going to take forever and be huge - I may count squares for this one...

5. A lined leather journal - in fact i may wish to make several.

So so far 3 / 500 (whoop whoop)

• mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Morning all
    Thank you for the new thread
    I'm just going to say I'll use as much from my stash as I can without buying anything.
    I'm currently working on a crocheted blanket I've picked 10 balls out from my stash, 5 in similar shades of blue and 5 in random mix shades, I. Crocheting two balls at a time to make a large thick warm blanket. I'm just starting the 5th & 6th balls so getting there slowly.

My craft stash busting this year will be a mix of knitting, crochet cross stitch and machining. I'm toying with the idea of doing a good cause craft each month alongside my own stuff to help use stash up in a useful way.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's makes and updates.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • nimbo
    Forumite
    So I have bought wall paper paste. I needed it for the leather journal. I will kept he rest safe and when we decorate it will come in handy.

I also need to fix my leather Bag it’s used for work and has come unstitched a bit. It shouldn’t take long and will save me needing a new one in the long run.

I will be making a list for tomorrow my last day of holiday after Christmas. ( I didn’t get any of Christmas or new year off)...

• Deb4
    Deb4 Posts: 252
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi All

I would like to join again didn't do very well last year so need to do better this year. My aim for the year is mainly making cards but also some sewing as well.

I would like to the following:
    Birthday Card = 9
    Christmas Cards = 15
    Others = 6
    Sewing projects - 6 not sure about this but will see how it goes

thank you for the new threat
    Deb4

Make £2022 in 2022 #69 £2247.73/£2022
    Make £2023 in 2023 #4 £395.92 /£2023
    Declutter 2023 in 2023 35/2023
  • nimbo
    Forumite
    edited 7 January 2018 at 8:09PM
    I have set up my travellers notebook today and used up 4 home made notebooks. Woo hoo!!!!!

I haven’t yet made any leather notebooks. But they’re next.

7/500.

I will add deb 4 to the list tomorrow when the tree is down and I can reach my laptop.

• nimbo
    Forumite
    I have managed to wrestle the tree outside. My partner needs to put away the decorations but the front room is looking huge now.

I have stuck paper to four pieces of leather for covers. I’m waiting for them to dry. I don’t want to ruin them now so will wait to cut them down for now.

I have also framed two pictures. Used up two frames and one car sticker of a unicorn that my partner got me.

I have another iron on unicorn to use but as it requires thes iron it’s having a pin stuck in it tonight.

6 things to add to the total so far today. I’ve no idea how I’m filling to covers yet but once I’ve cleared my craft room a bit I’ll find some inspiration I’m sure.

15 / 500.

Next steps will be hanging some pictures up. As well as filling some leather journals.

As well as painting a picture frame for my embroidery.

Oh and some of the French knot embroidery which I can already see is a royal pita.

• nimbo
    Forumite
    1. Embroidered unicorn fabric - to be hung in the square card frame - STARTED

2. Paint the small table and fill with sea glass

3. Alice in Wonderland pictures-to print and hang...

4. Rainbow quilt - it's going to take forever and be huge - I may count squares for this one...

5. A lined leather journal - in fact i may wish to make several.

6. Mend leather bag for work - FINISHED

7. Paint picture frame

16 / 500

I haven't managed to get much further - but have mended my leather work bag - which means that it won't get worse and more importantly won't spill my diary and work laptop allover the floor... I wrecked one sewing needle and managed to only stab myself in the hand once.

I have been to the beach and have today collected a load more sea glass... Some thing else for me to wash off.

I hope you have all been craftily busy and have enjoyed some time off over Christmas/ New Years. I'm back at work tomorrow (boo) which is why I think I've been so busy... I'd like to think I may manage to keep up the crafting - but i think the productivity has been because I've avoided turning on my work laptop...

• greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,401
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi, nimbo, thanks for the thread.

As always, my stash seems to breed when left alone!

I'm starting fresh this year :A and I haven't bought anything - yet! I may have bought stuff (very) late last year, so working with what I've got tight now.

I have already made 2 Christmas (yes, you read that correctly!) cards and I have started on a crochet lego blanket.

Good luck, everyone.
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
  • Thank you for doing this Nimbo, I'll join again. I've been mainly lurking last year, but did complete my goal (107/100) so I've upped it this year to 150! My stash is overflowing my craft room onto the landing and although I have bought very little last year (mainly just things to finish off projects) it seems to be growing rather than shrinking! Ill try and join in more rather than just lurk.
    Stash busting challenge 2024: 3/100 £0/£50 Fashion on the ration 2024: 0/66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport