PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May we discuss Quilting?

Comments

• spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As I'm just a new starter, jw, I can't help you with much. I don't know how long it'll take me, yet, and I'd rather do my quilting by hand than by machine, although I've not tried either yet (need backing fabric). However, I do believe that Queenie quilts by hand and by machine, so I suppose it depends on your personal preference, your circumstance, and how long it takes YOU to quilt.
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    jw1096 wrote:
    Do you all do your quilts with sewing machines?? The reason I ask is because I would really love to make a quilt to match a huge framed picture I have - http://www.art.com/asp/sp-asp/_/pd--10072726/Chat_Noir.htm

Jo xx

Love the picture Jo....just what sort of quilt did you have in mind?
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Rage_in_Eden
    Rage_in_Eden Posts: 995 Forumite
    I'm a big HAND sewing fan - I'll even hem curtains by hand (i know but it's either that or the medication :D !)......... I would say machine for speed and hand for therapy - mind you it all depends on what your tension is like - i have seen some machine sewing which you could drive a bus through in my time. Don't do much quilting (not my fave) more cross stitch - the skirt on cletic summer is taking shape nicely now and I can't wait to do the beads....... :j (what can I say, I'm easily pleased......... :rotfl: )
    But I'm going to say this once, and once only, Gene. Stay out of Camberwick Green :D
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Have just cut up 3 blue shirts of my sons and have just found a double white sheet with a hole in the middle but rest ok so will start on cutting that into pieces! Daughter isn't taking her lilac bedding with her when she moves, so have that to cut up as well (cos soon as she goes I'm going to decorate her room) so now have lots of blue, white and lilac for the quilt. Also managed to get some lovely dark green script curtains for £1 The material is good quality so that is going to go into my fabric stash. Just as well dd is moving out soon as fabric stash will have to go into her room before it takes over the house! :eek:
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • BWZN93
    BWZN93 Posts: 2,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Allexie wrote:
    Love the picture Jo....just what sort of quilt did you have in mind?

I love it too!! I originally thought a big double bed throw, but I think it might be a little... errr... overpowering... in the room. So I think maybe just a throw quilt thingy for a single guest bed, which I could then claim for sole use anyway for when im watching movies in the winter on the sofa!

I cant wait for winter... I dont like this heat at all!

Jo xx
    #KiamaHouse
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    jw1096 wrote:
    ........ Does anyone do thiers by hand? Or should I wait to buy a sewing machine????

Also - how long does it take you to do your quilts? Jo xx

Jo, I have hand quilted and machine and I agree with Rage's comments: machine for speed, hand for therapy! Having said that when you quilt by hand, your finger can get a little sore until you've built up some hard skin, so you would start just doing a little, often.

My first quilt took me a couple of months to make and I used the machine to stitch all the pieces together and then hand stitched the quilt sandwich.

My 2nd and 3rd lap quilts ... I managed to do those in a weekend: Fri-Sun night and was at it *all* through the day. Made heaps of mistakes, simply because I was trying to hard to make them too quickly :o

Unless there is a desperate hurry, I would say, quilting is a craft to be enjoyed and that means taking a little time over. Weekend quilts are do-able; a quilt that takes a bit longer are preferable ;):D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Queenie
    catznine - :T woohoo, your stash is building up very nicely indeed!!
    (I store my stash in some under bed zip up thingies from Ikea ... :think: ... and some in the bottom of my wardrobe .... :think: ... and some in the understairs cupboard ... :think: ... and some in the coat cupboard. :o:o:o
  • BWZN93
    Thanks Queenie!!

Ive decided I will do a simple practice quilt first, maybe a small one for the cat to lay about on - she's taken to the ironing board at present! I could hand stitch that one to get a feel for it, then do a practice single bed quilt, then move on to a double one that I will take my time over and do it really nicely and properly!

I think I might add some fabric hunting for a stash today to my list of fun things to do for me.... Im looking forward to doing one - Im thinking about designing a memory quilt too - I really like the idea of that!

Jo xx
    #KiamaHouse
  • Queenie
    Jo .... in terms of quilting ... you do not necessarily need to begin with "patchwork".

If you plan to make a quilt for your cat to recline on, may I suggest ... make a quilt sandwich from an old pillowcase (unpick it, then you'll have two pieces the same size-ish), then sandwich those around a piece of wadding, tack, then ... practise hand "quilting" on that. It would be a good way to practise your hand stitching and you can make any "mistakes" without investing a mini fortune beforehand. I know how fussy cats can be, but I doubt the cat will truly know the difference between an old pillowcase made in to a cosy bed quilt to lounge upon or an expensive fresh new fabric. ;)

If you want to do a patched quilt ... you could begin by simply cutting 9 squares the same size, join them together, applique hearts of contrasting fabric onto each square and then frame it as a small wallhanging - again this will give you the opportunity to experiment with techniques and it won't be a tragedy if you make any mistakes.

I'm cheering you on from the sidelines :D:D:D
  • BWZN93
    Great Idea actually, Im forever finding kitty asleep on my pillow when I wake up in the morning, usually she is curled around my head, or has managed to push me off at some point in the night.... I bet she'd love her own pillowcase!!

I might have a go at that later!

Jo xx
    #KiamaHouse
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills