JSA stopping after 6 months as married

Hi there

I have been made redundant last year and like many others have been to countless recruitment agencies and applied for a lot of jobs! no luck yet and I am now worried as I have been told my JSA will stop after 6 months because my Husband works full time. Even though £60.5 is not a lot of money it actually covers the repayment of one of our loans. As I understand any further benefits after 6 months will be means tested, does anyone know if they take into account loan repayments?

Comments

• healy
    healy Posts: 5,293
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Loan repayments are not taken into account.
  • Many thanks!

Dissapointed but not surprised, it would be a wonderfull thing if it was possible to survive on one persons wages. But in this day and age there is no such thing as the breadwinner for most households. It seems a bit silly that you are actually better of single in a lot of cases.
  • i guess the government will never cover your personal loans for obvious reasons. How much does your partner ean roughly?
    You can't beat an egg.........................NO WAIT!
  • Why is it not possible to survive on one persons wage? more than half the families i no do this and always have. Why should you get jsa for long periods when there is someone working in your house hold?? :confused: your lucky really cause they never used to offer anything at all if you were living with someone nevermind married.

Loans are not taken into account cause taking out a loan is your own personal debt that you chose to get into....if they start handing out jsa to pay peoples loans off,everyone would be doing it :rolleyes:
    Having a coke with you
    is even more fun than going to San Sebastian, Irun, Hendaye, Biarritz, Bayonne
    or being sick to my stomach on the Travesera de Gracia in Barcelona
  • bunny999
    bunny999 Posts: 970 Forumite
    Many thanks!

Dissapointed but not surprised, it would be a wonderfull thing if it was possible to survive on one persons wages. But in this day and age there is no such thing as the breadwinner for most households. It seems a bit silly that you are actually better of single in a lot of cases.[/quote]

If you were single you would be living on £60.50 a week.
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Presumably the £60.50 a week was CONTRIBUTION BASED JSA, which you would get if you had enough NI contributions in the past, irrespective of your husbands income. After this 6 months you automatically move on to INCOME BASED JSA, whereupon the total household income is counted. If your husband earns much then you will no longer be entitled to JSA. You cannot conclude you would be 'better of single' really as although you would get certain means tested benefits, you would not have your husbands contribtion, financial or otherwise. As for paying loans, why on earth would/should a state benefit take into account your debts ? You chose to enter into a credit agreement and should always think about whether you could afford it should your income drop (this might sound harsh but tbh it is reality!). The only 'debt' that is serviced in this way is a mortgage (and even then there are rules and limits- which I don't know the ins and outs of).
    I hope this explains things a bit.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• pukkamum
    pukkamum Posts: 3,942
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well we are surviving on one (not very high wage) you chose to get in debt and now you want the government to pay it off for you????
    The mind boggles?????
    I don't get nearly enough credit for not being a violent psychopath.
  • Many thanks!

Dissapointed but not surprised, it would be a wonderfull thing if it was possible to survive on one persons wages. But in this day and age there is no such thing as the breadwinner for most households. It seems a bit silly that you are actually better of single in a lot of cases.

Silly comment.

Everyone else, why so aggressive towards a new member of the forums?

Daft comment to make but some of the replies aren't called for.

The forums are for help and assistance not to judge.

The OP is obviously a bit worried about losing almost £250 a month so maybe show a little understanding/compassion?
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,163
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Do you have any loan payment protection insurance that you can claim on to cover the repayment?

Just thought I'd mention it as sometimes people forget they have it, especially if it is all rolled into the one monthly payment.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Why is it not possible to survive on one persons wage? more than half the families i no do this and always have. Why should you get jsa for long periods when there is someone working in your house hold?? :confused: your lucky really cause they never used to offer anything at all if you were living with someone nevermind married.

Loans are not taken into account cause taking out a loan is your own personal debt that you chose to get into....if they start handing out jsa to pay peoples loans off,everyone would be doing it :rolleyes:

And so endeth the first lesson:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport