WTBSEs 'Starting From Scratch' Savings Diary.

Comments

• cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,298 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    The popcorn kernels were asda 'chosen for you' and cost £1 for 1kg :)
    They last ages and ages. Normally we just sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over ours :)

Blimey, £1 for 1kg is good value!!
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • A great story! This is testimony to the power of setting yourself goals to aim for! If there is one thing to add, dare I suggest that you set yourself a target date to achieve these aims? Makes things much more fun!

Once you say mission accomplished you can then set the bar that little bit higher. Perhaps an even newer car, a better paying job (if you move to a better area then you must have a better chance of getting one) and an even bigger cash pile.

Include your kids in this as well. You'll be handing down a very important skill to them. And every time you achieve a target, get that popcorn machine rattling big time!
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks everyone for your posts, it's lovely to log in and see some moral support :)

Eco_Miser wrote: »
    Congratulations on not having to borrow money to fix your car. When you can open other accounts, a Nationwide Flexdirect account will be better than Lloyds Vantage, as it pays 5% on any amount up to £2500, provided you meet all the conditions.

Thanks EM. I am really glad that i didnt have to borrow to get the car fixed as i really dont ever want to get into debt again! Also thanks for the info re the accounts, it's something i'll look into in about 6 months.
    cathybird wrote: »
    Blimey, £1 for 1kg is good value!!

I know, it's brilliantly cheap and the kids love making it with me too as they like to see the popping :)
    A great story! This is testimony to the power of setting yourself goals to aim for! If there is one thing to add, dare I suggest that you set yourself a target date to achieve these aims? Makes things much more fun!

Once you say mission accomplished you can then set the bar that little bit higher. Perhaps an even newer car, a better paying job (if you move to a better area then you must have a better chance of getting one) and an even bigger cash pile.

Include your kids in this as well. You'll be handing down a very important skill to them. And every time you achieve a target, get that popcorn machine rattling big time!

Thanks NL. I really like the idea of setting a target date. I think i'll do this in Jan. I need to get Christmas over and done with first.

I had never thought about getting the kids involved, so i am definitely going to take that on board, what a wonderful idea. I might even make one of those 'Blue-Peter'-esque savings charts, where you colour up to the amount you have saved until you reach the total (i hope you know what i mean).

So today we are just having a quiet day. The younger son (age 9) is taking part in the remembrance parade with cub scouts and i'll be pottering about doing housework.
    I am tempted to start decorating the bathroom. I have the paint and everything all ready, i bought it all ages ago but never got round to starting! I need to give everything a good coat of undercoat before painting with colour though.

Anyway, have a great day everyone!
  • WantToBeSE
    Hi All :)

Another day, another dollar! I have met with my new client today, to discuss what she wants doing. I will go to her every other Monday morning for 3 hours, so it'll be an extra £30 a fortnight. I wont even touch that, it'll go straight into savings.

I got my 1st National Insurance Contributions letter from the HMRC today, but that doesnt have to be paid until Jan, although it'll probably be paid in December instead, incase i forget.

I have plans to redecorate my house with the paint i already have. Green for the bathroom and Red, Cream and Brown for the lounge.
    To make it cheaper, i am going to concentrate on accessories that i can take with me when i move.
    A B&M have just opened near me, so i have been pricing things (cushions, shelves etc) up on their website and to accessorize my lounge and bathroom will cost approx. £50 :) My plan is too save that out of my grocery budget instead of finding the money from somewhere else.

I am hoping to get more private clients instead of relying on the agency, that way i dont have to worry about putting all my eggs in 1 basket.
    I have decided that over the Christmas period i will only take off 3 days; Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Boxing day.
    The agency is closed for 2 weeks but will line up work if i want it. I never go out for NYE or NYD, so i am happy to work for both of those days :)

Every £ counts!
  • WantToBeSE
    Found £20 on the floor today! Have put it into my sons school dinner money pot, so wont have to withdraw £20 from bank, will transfer it to savings instead :)

Boiler is fixed, so the heating is ON :)
  • Sounds like it's been a good day! :)
  • cathybird
    Found £20 on the floor today! Have put it into my sons school dinner money pot, so wont have to withdraw £20 from bank, will transfer it to savings instead :)

Boiler is fixed, so the heating is ON :)

Good find on the £20!! :T:T:T Yay for the fixed boiler ... too cold at the moment to have to put up with a broken-down boiler :(
  • WantToBeSE
    Thanks both of you, a good day indeed :)

Was hoping for a bit of overtime via the agency this week, but alas there were none available in my area.
    1 of my clients has paid me today, so that went straight into savings (£40), so my new total is £520 :) Thats just over a 10th of my BIG aim of £5000...it feels significant that i hit the £500 mark :)

Wont be able to save anything next week as i have to buy stocking fillers for the boys.
  • cathybird
    Thats just over a 10th of my BIG aim of £5000...it feels significant that i hit the £500 mark :)

Yes, milestones are always good. They give you a kind of mental energy because you can see you really are getting there. :)
  • WantToBeSE
    Another bit of good news today :) My DD for water has decreased from £56.50 to £33 a month..yay!! Living in Cornwall is EXPENSIVE when it comes to water, so i am pleased about the reduction.

When i took out business insurance on my car, it rose by £20 a month, so this water reduction balances it out nicely :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure