We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream thread continues.....

Options

Comments

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its a pump that empties the lagoon. Its electricity powered. It keeps tripping,(after a while) so i guess it is over heating. Last year we had it on for weeks and weeks and weeks without a break.
    I would take the pump apart and clean it to start with. They normally are simple to work out. You might see something in there that's causing a problem.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 25 June 2012 at 11:27AM
    Options
    I would take the pump apart and clean it to start with. They normally are simple to work out. You might see something in there that's causing a problem.

Hmm. I chad not considered tyring myself. That merits some consideration. I will talk to dh about it. The problem is, if we cannot get to gether agins we are in big trouble!!

Edit...its quite big, like a car engine or something. But with smaller gubbings.
  • rhiwfield
    rhiwfield Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    Options
    Hmm. I chad not considered tyring myself. That merits some consideration. I will talk to dh about it. The problem is, if we cannot get to gether agins we are in big trouble!!

Edit...its quite big, like a car engine or something. But with smaller gubbings.

When I was young, I took apart a Ford Prefect Engine. Put it back together again and it still went, even though quite a few bits were left over :o And I wired a cooker up and blew the junction box off the wall. Nailed through a water pipe etc etc. I'd offer to help but...:D

CTC, it was busy as usual. Didnt stay for the blankets as they were individually lotted. Prices were mixed, mostly high but I got some real cheapo lots that are turning out promising. I think I picked up a couple of 60s (???) wall shelves for nowt, and there was a nice 1830 ebony/brass parallel rule in among some good antique bottles.

And there were a couple of nice engravings thrown in, but cant identify this one and would appreciate any input
    piccy 1
    piccy 2
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Like a car engine! OK, that's a bit bigger than I expected.

Have you got a make and number?
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Like a car engine! OK, that's a bit bigger than I expected.

Have you got a make and number?

Can i tell you on friday morning? I cannot get the lid to the pump house off by myself! I cannot remeber seeing anything on there, but i have not looked. I found the on switch and the overload knob and that was all i needed to know!:o

When dh gets back on thursday or friday i will have a good look and take a picture.
  • Itismehonest
    Itismehonest Posts: 4,352 Forumite
    Options
    rhiwfield wrote: »
    And there were a couple of nice engravings thrown in, but cant identify this one and would appreciate any input
    piccy 1
    piccy 2

It's a shame that the signature isn't clearer, rhiw.
    It looks like it may be Hawkins (which was the name of several engravers including John & George) but the initial looks as though it should be M, W ..... or even a very ornate N.
    I searched for engravings of overshot watermills but found nothing close.
    Sorry. :o
  • Itismehonest
    Options
    Can you find anything similar to your pump on this site, LIR?
    It shows loads of different sorts of pumps for different purposes as per list to left of page.

If you haven't got a similar company near you it may be worth giving this lot a ring, even if only for advice. We've used them in the past & found them helpful.
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Can you find anything similar to your pump on this site, LIR?
    It shows loads of different sorts of pumps for different purposes as per list to left of page.

If you haven't got a similar company near you it may be worth giving this lot a ring, even if only for advice. We've used them in the past & found them helpful.

Well, this one looks a quite like pump house :D

http://www.tppumps.co.uk/14-farm-slurry-and-dirty-water/14c-quantum

Not very useful though i guess!:rotfl:

In fact, that quantum one looks not dissimilar. I am now googling pumps in this county.
  • Itismehonest
    Options
    Well, this one looks a quite like pump house :D

http://www.tppumps.co.uk/14-farm-slurry-and-dirty-water/14c-quantum

Not very useful though i guess!:rotfl:

In fact, that quantum one looks not dissimilar. I am now googling pumps in this county.

Yes, a similar company close to you may a) be able to tell you what they think could be wrong; b) may even have engineers who can come out & service or failing that c) may be able to help with a new one that they will cover in future.
    It's worth a try anyway.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just got back in time to lock hens up properly....:o

As we got out of the van, I smelled a 'hot' smell and thought, "Oh no!" Sure enough, one of the rear tyres was hissing out the last of its air, as there's something the size of the Titanic stuck in it. :mad:

Never felt a thing, but I thought I heard some funny noises in the last few miles....:eek:

So that's another £100 tyre, after I've had the joy of taking the wheel off. Still, it could have been worse; like if it had happened fifty miles earlier.

The good news is that I have the gate, and the panel that's to replace it fits OK.

Now I will see what you folk have been up to today. Not feeling like shopping, I walked a small section of the Cotswold Way, and very nice it was too. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure