Pay for your 2012 holiday the Old Style Way - Come and Join in !

Comments

• MummyEm
    MummyEm Posts: 574 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 4 January 2012 at 12:25PM
    I am avoiding the shops by staying home. I have invited kids friends over later. We have loads of bikkies left from xmas so cuppa and bikkies for mums with no outlay. May mean the house needs a tidy this evening but at least it's all free!

However, not a NSD for me today so not a great start. Have ordered some bits from BHF (in grabbits forum). A great pressie for my sis only £8.99 which even with postage will be well below the £20 I budgeted and a really lovely present too. Also bought some xmas cards for next year, and a small present for DH's bday (£3.99 apron which will do from the kids). All much cheaper than I have budgetted for. When the arrive, I will transfer into the savings the money that I have saved against the budget.

Plan for this evening is a bath - free and have loads of smellies for a nice pamper.
    Ebay 5 items.
    Kids packed lunches and snack for me so I don't buy anything whilst out tomorrow morning.

Total savings stands at £56.07.

Just checked Paypal and have withdrawn £50 which still leave quite a bit to cover fees etc. I will add this to my totals when it hit my bank account. Think I may also have some quidco money to come but again, will wait for that to hit bank account.
  • Welcome MummyEm :wave:

Well I got an email from the gent who bought my bike on eBay... he lives in KENT! And his house was broken into and his iPad stolen... and whoever did that bought the bike! So he pulled out!

I am waiting on a second chance offer, but I think I am going to have to relist the bike :mad:

I purposly wanted to sell it between christmas and new year when people want to get fit... am not happy!!!

DS said he would pool any money he makes on his watch with the bike (as we think we'll get less now) and after £50 for the passport and fees he'll take what's left for his 'fund'!

LOL his 'fund' is so he can go charity shop hunting for clothes!!!! I LOVE it!
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • no.1swimmum
    no.1swimmum Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Been trying hard to get motivated to list things on ebay etc - I have just been diagnosed with depression and my main symptom is fatigue, I am sleeping all the time, on the plus side I managed to have £69 left out of DH December pay so added that to savings to make a grand sum og £1165 saved so far.

My aim is to try and list at least 6 items on ebay in the next 7 days - :o
    Fibro-Warrior
  • majjak
    majjak Posts: 380 Forumite
    Hi everyone

Still got a stinking cold here :( so I've called in sick at work and I'm having a fairly restful day. I can't seem to shift it, 5 days in and I'm still sneezing like a mad woman, and getting through reams of tissues ! I usually start to feel better after the 2nd day but this one seems to be lingering :mad:. I can't remember the last time I called in sick, seems a bit petty for a cold but I really feel awful ! :o

Welcome mummyem, I shall pop off in a minute and add you to the challenge list :D. Love the free entertainment you're having today, I'm quarrantined so spending the day on my own, maybe I'll try and have a bit of a pamper this evening, it might cheer me up !

julie total bummer about the bike ! It's still early in January though, I'm sure you'll sell it soon. I'd love a charity shop fund but keep thinking "must put money away for holiday" !!! :p Although with my christmas expanding waistband I might need a few items to tide me over until I can get rid of the beer/pudding/wine/turkey-plus-all-the-other-carp-I've-eaten belly !!! :o

No.1 we're here for you if you need an ear to bend .... sorry to hear that you're poorly xxx Just try to do small amounts at a time, and don't feel bad if you can't manage anything. :grouphug: Fantastic that you had some money left out of hubby's wages ! And even better that you've added it to your total - keep focused on the holiday, it might help with the depression to think that you've got something wonderful to look forward to xxx
    Save £12K challenge 2015 # 173
    £0.00/£10,000
  • majjak
    julie any hints on baby roo yet? I'm getting excited for you :j (don't you be doing star jumps though ! ) :rotfl:
    £0.00/£10,000
  • Majjak And I just got an invoice from eBay which includes the expenses for selling the bike! If my second chance doesn't go through I will relist, but if I only get £30 instead of £51 why so I have to pay for the higher sale??? I will contact eBay if my second chance isn't taken in two days (I gave him three days to decide) and tell them to take of the charges until the sale is ACTUALLY made!

I had False contractions until 1am! It was so painful I thought 'yay! this is it' NOPE! My body hurts so much from the ligaments the contractions pulled last night! I am soooooooooo ready for the baby to come!
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
  • majjak
    julie I'm not sure about the ebay fees, I've never been in that situation before (luckily !) I would imagine you will only pay fees on the actual price it sells at, not the original £50. Do ebay know that the chap had his details stolen?

Doesn't sound like roo will be long now ..... if you go AWOL, we'll presume you're a bit 'busy' ! :D It's exciting ! :j
    £0.00/£10,000
  • Majjak He said he had a LOT of wins, and he was in the process of informing eBay. He was in Canada on holiday though! If his profile wasn't so good, and he hadn't have lived so far away I would not have believed him. But I will talk to eBay in a few days and have them remove the fees... my account still shows it was sold at £51, so they can only go by what they know. Just a pain in the a$$!!!!

Everyone says that... '...if you go quiet...' think i'm spending too much time on MSE :D
  • MummyEm
    MummyEm Posts: 574 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Julie - I think there is a way that you and the buyer can mutually agree to cancel the transaction. You have to report it to ebay then get the buyer to agree. Ebay will then cancel fees for the transaction.

I have listed 2 more items on ebay this evening I should really do more but was up last night with DS so I'm tired. DD is back to school tomorrow so need to get some sleep so I have the energy to drag her out of bed!

Now up to 35 items listed but only have bids on 5. Quite a few watchers tho so fingers crossed.
  • Skauy
    Skauy Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello all !

I'd love to join, too, if I may? :)

I am aiming to save around £10,000 by mid 2014 for a trip to the Cook Islands. That's for 2 adults.
    I haven't saved anything yet (I'll start when I recieve my wages this month) but am hoping to put away roughly £400/500 per month. But it may sometimes be a bit less or more - it all depends on how much overtime I can get, and how much I'll spend on food that month. I'm thinking of joining the grocery challenge, too, as food shopping is where I really fail when it comes to money saving!
    Need to start thinking of other ways to save money, too, so I'm off to browse the OS forum!...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure