Jobseekers agreement at beginning of a claim

I've just started signing on...The advisor at the job centre did my agreement today, I told her the work I was looking for. She added another area as welll and asked me to sign it.

I wanted to know if you have to have more than one area you are searching for in the early part of a claim. I thought it could just be one with you applying for jobs in that area and of a certain salary?

Is it possible for me to amend the agreement next week? Reason I'm asking is that the other area they added was very generic, I'm looking for work across several fields however there are plenty of other jobs I could choose that are a better fit than what was written. She wrote something that she didn't actually say to me either... and yes, I realise now I should have checked it, want to see if possible to change.

Also, if the job centre pulls of jobs for you (in the first thirteen weeks) do you have to apply for them? Reason I'm asking is that she pulled off two jobs, one of them wasn't a match, and other one was a bad fit. She told me the one that was a bad fit was the closest to my experience, however she then called me half an hour later to tell me they'd mixed me up with someone else and to come back on another signing day to the one written on my agreement. As long as I explain properly why a job isn't correct is that enough?

I'm currently applying for several jobs a week... I just want to avoid being sanctioned due to having done something wrong when agreeing to an agreement.

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,076
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You can ask for your agreement to be amended.

Did you agree to those jobs? I've been asked in the past if this job is suitable and then I'm expected to apply if it is.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • ellie101
    ellie101 Posts: 157 Forumite
    sh1305 wrote: »
    You can ask for your agreement to be amended.

Did you agree to those jobs? I've been asked in the past if this job is suitable and then I'm expected to apply if it is.

I'll ask for it to be amended thanks.

I wasn't asked to apply for the jobs, the advisor pulled off the jobs and said "this one is closest to your skills" and then showed me another one and said "do you have that experience?". I just said "No, not really" and she handed them over to me.

I was a bit confused at what was going on, I have signed-on before but the communication was a lot better. However I think I need to communicate better myself next time too and ask for explanations as well as explain why a job isn't right. As I'm guessing as long as your reasons are valid they will be accepted as to why you are not applying?
  • In order to change your Jobseekers Agreement, you would have to have an appointment booked with an advisor. You can limit yourself to looking for work in your normal occupation at your normal rate of pay for a time limit which the advisor would inform you of (up to thirteen weeks can be given but this is decided by the advisor), as long as that type of work is available within these restrictions. The areas you are prepared to travel are less negotiable. Unless you have childcare responsibilities or health problems, you have to be willing to travel for an hour each way by whatever means of transport is available to you.
    In relation to the jobs you received, you have to be careful on this one. If the jobs are very similar to your previous occupation and the advisor has submitted you to the job under the category of 'matching' on the computer system, you are then expected to apply for the position. If you do not and the employer lets the Jobcentre know this, your claim would be referred to a Decision Maker and you could potentially lose benefit for up to six months. The advisor can also, if the job is a close fit to your previous jobs if you have been signing on for six months plus or if it is a close fit to the job(s) you have listed on your Jobseeker's Agreement from day one, insist that you apply for the job and if you do not, the same procedures would apply.
  • ellie101
    In order to change your Jobseekers Agreement, you would have to have an appointment booked with an advisor. You can limit yourself to looking for work in your normal occupation at your normal rate of pay for a time limit which the advisor would inform you of (up to thirteen weeks can be given but this is decided by the advisor), as long as that type of work is available within these restrictions. The areas you are prepared to travel are less negotiable. Unless you have childcare responsibilities or health problems, you have to be willing to travel for an hour each way by whatever means of transport is available to you.

I've just realised what happened and why it all felt so wrong. There was a woman stood next to me (same initial, and surname apart from a different spelling which is a common mis-spell). Advisor called out our names.

We both looked and I went over. I'm sure the advisor checked NI number and my address but maybe not. I can see from the agreement the full first name is different and it's someone else's NI number on the signing card.

Other woman looked 20 years younger than me which is why the whole experience was surreal, she was probably at least 15 years younger... when I said I had a back injury going back 15 years which is why I couldn't do jobs involving heavy lifting the advisor asked how come I'd managed to injure my back at that point and she looked at me like I was mad. And also looked at me like a fantasist when I said what my salary had been :( I do look young for my age but not that young.

At least it makes sense now... calling them in the morning to get agreement re-done. Thanks all for advice. It also explains why she pulled off a job that said "this is your first step in this career". Ho-hum.
  • Just a word of advice, if you get a print out and dont have a 'valid' reason for not applying make sure you do and make sure you follow the how to apply section word for word.

My OH got a print out given to him which said phone this agency but as we were in town we went in. They took this as refusal to apply and he has been dis-allowed JSA for 6 months.
  • You need to phone them up asap and get everythihg changed. Your signing day is determined by your national insurance number so, chances are, you have been given the wrong day to sign on and you obviously need to get your JSAg changed to your own name!!
  • morganedge
    morganedge Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    mrshurt86 wrote: »
    Just a word of advice, if you get a print out and dont have a 'valid' reason for not applying make sure you do and make sure you follow the how to apply section word for word.

My OH got a print out given to him which said phone this agency but as we were in town we went in. They took this as refusal to apply and he has been dis-allowed JSA for 6 months.

wow!
    that's harsh.
  • ellie101
    just wanted to update and say ta as got it all sorted this morning after taking advice on here. Jobseekers agreement re-done with one job type to go for initially, staff were very helpful this time and explained it all thoroughly (and I am on the correct signing day and place now).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure