AA renewal rip off

Comments

• I have been an AA member for 15 years and have a Gold Membership, have Roadside Recovery, Relay, and Home Start, quote for the next 12 months is £204. 32p, rang up to say i thought the charges were excessive and that i would leave so what have you got to offer to keep me, they have reduced my subscription by 40% and new documentation is being sent, result.
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Coo if you don't need your money send me some. Green flag are under £100
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • bigjoe
    bigjoe Posts: 283 Forumite
    Just saved £65 by querying my renewal with the AA.

Interestingly, renewal letter says 15% off "giving you the best deal available to you."

The keyword there is you. If it was someone else - like someone who had not been with the AA for years - the price would probably be significantly cheaper as a quick online quote showed me!

When will a company realise that there is money in rewarding loyalty?
  • LuckyPenny
    LuckyPenny Posts: 1,253 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    I go through the same palava every year and usually get 50%+ off the renewal quote. Go on a price comparison site and arm yourself with the info. Say you really want to stay with AA but you have had a cheaper quote elsewhere. They will give you loads of sales speal about how good they are. Then just say money is tight at the moment and so the price is the most important thing to you. They normally speak to their supervisor and then give you what you want!
    Competition wins £13,987.09
  • I had my renewal letter today. they were trying to rip me off for the tune of £240.05 !!!!!!!!!!! I havent used then at all and last year it was £113. They just rely on the fact that you wont notice and stich you up. All the scumbag companies do this nowadays , Amazon , Insurures etc tec. I rang them and they said they could do it for £130.

I told them where they could stick it !!!!!!!!!
  • Zver
    Zver Posts: 10 Forumite
    I don't think that they will let you cancel and then take out a new policy straight away. You could ring them back and tell them you will cancel unless they give you the same offer as new costumers. They may reduce the price further. Good Luck with that!
  • johndoe12345
    johndoe12345 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 17 July 2014 at 11:35PM
    minimum hassle way to deal with the AA if you're a busy person / don't enjoy the haggle and can pay the year in one go : when you get your annual renewal quote, ignore it and buy online at the new customer price, with a start date for when your current membership expires

when you get your new AA card in the post (probably while previous one is still running) use that as a reminder to go to online banking / call your bank and cancel anything marked direct debit or continuous payment to the aa. They might email or call in 'surprise' to ask why, ignore or tell them they have no right to your money after the year's contract - they don't have an answer and can't do anything about
    it

The old account may trigger expiry letters 2 or 3 times, ignore these, and optionally be ever so slightly smug that they have already agreed a new account with you but haven't noticed

Have done this for years no problems - no qualms given the price increases they hit you with if you're not on the ball/too busy at renewal time
  • Bantex_2
    Bantex_2 Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    LuckyPenny wrote: »
    I go through the same palava every year and usually get 50%+ off the renewal quote. Go on a price comparison site and arm yourself with the info. Say you really want to stay with AA but you have had a cheaper quote elsewhere. They will give you loads of sales speal about how good they are. Then just say money is tight at the moment and so the price is the most important thing to you. They normally speak to their supervisor and then give you what you want!
    I do exactly the same (virtually word for word). Always works.
  • garynuman
    garynuman Posts: 201 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 18 July 2014 at 12:08PM
    Possibly one of the worst firms I've had to deal with.

I had ZERO call-outs in 3 years and got the renewal letter which had doubled (again, surprise surprise) from what I was paying before.

Phoned them up for the annual 'haggle' and the operative said "but you've been with us for X years! If you stay with us, you are now allowed up to 7 call-outs a year!" She couldn't seem to understand that I haven't called them out in the past and that giving me extra call-outs (which I won't use) is worthless!

My advice: When you phone, sit on the RAC website and read off the "new customer" deal to them - they will ALWAYS fold in your favour!

I ended up paying £3pa more than last year as opposed to the £240 renewal for "loyal" customers.

Gaz
  • Bantex_2
    Bantex_2 Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    I have found there call out guys to be very good though. Thats why I go through the same game every year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure