British Gas Essentials Tariff - advice please really worried

gregrichards
gregrichards Posts: 126 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi everyone

I'm really worried like a lot of people about the price of my gas and electricity. I have been on British Gas Click Energy 5 but have just found out about the Essentials Tariff.

I am 24 and in receipt of DLA, IB & IS because I genuinely cannot work as I've been left registered disabled with permanent nerve damage after two negligent discectomy operations and just wondered if the tariff is a lot cheaper and how anybody else found it.

Just now I'm only putting the central heating on for warm water and use the bare minimum of electricity, the thought of a 50% rise is really worrying me.

Any advice or information would be grately appreciated.

Comments

• SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,333 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Pricewise Essentials is the same as the standard DD tariff, so Click is cheaper. You can register for their Priority Services Register (EnergyCare) and see what else they can do to help you out.

You shouldn't need your central heating on for your hot water - have you had the system checked recently?
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Have look at a previous post I made regarding Southern Electrics careline tarrif.

You must spend 10% of your income on gas and electric to qualify .

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=914373&highlight=southern+electric

shammy
  • monoxideuk
    monoxideuk Posts: 62 Forumite
    Ive been tryin to find out info about the bg essentials tariff, but as of yet not found anything, Even tried to call bg to find out the tariff info and after beeing in a que for 40 mins to get through and put on hold for 20 mins to be told that i need to ring back when there systems come up,

So if anyone could link the tariff info plus discount etc and how the tariff works it would be greatly appricated
  • SwanJon wrote: »
    Pricewise Essentials is the same as the standard DD tariff, so Click is cheaper. You can register for their Priority Services Register (EnergyCare) and see what else they can do to help you out.

You shouldn't need your central heating on for your hot water - have you had the system checked recently?

Thanks, I havent been able to work out what tariff is cheaper yet. I have central heating but I can put the HW on seperately from the CH. My CH is off all the time just now, so I'm just puting the HW on an hour a day for my hot water all day.

Hopefully my bills will be cheap till September.
  • monoxideuk wrote: »
    Ive been tryin to find out info about the bg essentials tariff, but as of yet not found anything, Even tried to call bg to find out the tariff info and after beeing in a que for 40 mins to get through and put on hold for 20 mins to be told that i need to ring back when there systems come up,

So if anyone could link the tariff info plus discount etc and how the tariff works it would be greatly appricated

Thanks for letting me know about this, I'll be prepared for this when I contact them.

Its so confusing, but I will definately be checking out Ebico sounds like the answer to my prayers. Hopefully its not too good to be true, the tariffs are cheap.
  • makfai
    makfai Posts: 26 Forumite
    One thing to note about British Gas Essentials Tariff is that (certainly for pre-payment meters) it takes SIX WEEKS to change to it. There is no work needed on the pre-payment meters it is done electronically at their offices. Why 6 weeks? No idea!
  • makfai
    makfai Posts: 26 Forumite
    This is worth reading
    http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Pages/MoreInformation.aspx?docid=202&refer=Media/PressRel
    SOCIAL TARIFFS MUST EQUAL SUPPLIERS’ CHEAPEST DEALS
  • jenhug
    jenhug Posts: 2,277 Forumite
    hello there, i have recently signed up for this tariff myself. the BG team told me the rates are as follows
    Gas 10.4% cheaper than their standard tariff
    Elec 4.8% " "

the number to call is 0845 850 2207 that will take you straight through to the essentials tariff team.
  • wornoutmumoftwo
    wornoutmumoftwo Posts: 1,250 Forumite
    I am on BG essentials for electric (all electric house on Economy 7/white meter)

My day time rate is 14p
    My night rate is 5p

Exactely the same price as their standard tarif if I paid via dd (I'm on a PPM).

If you are phoning BG then check out saynoto0870.com and get the landline number as it will save on the old phone bill

This is the page leading to the prices for both gas and electric; toohttp://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/energy/all-products-tariffs-prices-glance.html

Edited to say: prices above were before today's price increase
    Payment a day challenge: £236.69
    Jan Shopping Challenge: £202.09/£250
    Frugal Living Challenge: £534.64/15000
  • jenhug
    jenhug Posts: 2,277 Forumite
    If you are in receipt of:
    Child Tax Credit and salary is below £14,600
    Working Tax Credit and salary lower than £14,600
    Disability Living Allowance
    Pension Credit
    Attendance Allowance