help with heating and energy costs while on JSA?

So i've worked since i've been 16 and i'm 37 now. I've not got a job at the minute as I moved from UK mainland to northern ireland.

I'm looking for work obviously but have been claiming JSA since march this year.

I'm currently on a payg electric meter as I had a bill I just could'nt pay however when I get my JSA fortnightly, I put £20 into the meter, it adds £16 to the account and takes £4 towards the £117 debt.
This £20 doesn't last in it very long at all. The elec company has put the cost of electric up by 18% this year so its a lot more on top of regular amount (appreciate its the same for everyone)

so now i've run out of oil in my tank. I've had a look around online and the least I can get delivered is £195 for 300 litres.

is there any way that people on JSA (£67 approx a week) can get help with electricity or heating costs? I just don't have £195 to hand out for oil yet know that when the snow etc comes, i'm going to be !!!!!!ed.

i've never had benefits prior to this so i'm not sure at all if there are other things I can claim until I start to work again

Thanks in advance

Comments

• i have no children and live alone, I get help towards the cost of my home from housing benefit although still pay £180 a month towards my rent myself.
  • Lady_gaga
    Lady_gaga Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    Wear an extra layer and turn off everything that's not essential. No you won't get the DWP to pay your heating/electricity for you...
  • I think you need to speak to a Citizens Advice Bureau, a benefits advice line, your energy supplier and if the energy company fails, then speak to the energy regulator.

I dont think its fair you are locked into a contract because you are paying the arrears instalments, let alone the energy supplier being able to unilaterally increase its prices during that time. Get a price comparison quote and ask your energy supplier to match it, failing that, make a complaint to offgem (or the energy regulator).
  • Lady_gaga wrote: »
    Wear an extra layer and turn off everything that's not essential. No you won't get the DWP to pay your heating/electricity for you...

I'm not asking anyone to pay it for me, i've paid my way my whole working life, I was asking if there was any help available as I'm not sure if i'm missing out on something that I may be entitled to

I find your tone quite condescending, obviously i'm not using anything that isn't essential and wearing an extra layer isn't going to help in a house with no oil when the snow and freezing temps come in.

thanks anyway though, I'm sure you didn't mean to come across so rude...
  • I think you need to speak to a Citizens Advice Bureau, a benefits advice line, your energy supplier and if the energy company fails, then speak to the energy regulator.

I dont think its fair you are locked into a contract because you are paying the arrears instalments, let alone the energy supplier being able to unilaterally increase its prices during that time. Get a price comparison quote and ask your energy supplier to match it, failing that, make a complaint to offgem (or the energy regulator).

I'm not sure that i'm locked into a contract as such, I asked for the PAYG meter as I thought that it would be a much easier way to budget whilst on benefits however the increase really does impact when topping up the meter.

I'm going to ring the electric company as my meter seems to eat electricity much more than when i was paying a regular quarterly bill.

I thought i'd post here before trying the CAB as they are quite booked up and the next available appointment with an advisor in my area is friday next week.

I'll def try the electricity company and perhaps see if there is anything they can do to help.

its a nightmare having £67.50 a week to try to exist on whilst paying regular bills, rent, food etc. I honestly don't understand how anyone thinks that people would choose to live on benefits, unless they know something that I don't!

thank you for your post, its much appreciated.
  • I think most people are struggling with paying heating costs at the moment.

I'm disabled and can't get extra help, other than use my DLA which doesn't go that far. I have a severe heart condition which means that my hands and feet are always freezing cold. I have to heat just one room, and live in that during the winter. Could you not do the same? Oil heating is very expensive!
  • chesky369
    chesky369 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    Which company are you with? Some of the companies (British Gas, NPower etc) have charitable trusts which will help if you're having real problems, but I think you have to go through something like CAB.
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am not aware of any specific benefits (apart from the Winter Fuel Allowance for the elderly) to subsidise energy costs. Basically, JSA is your lot and is supposed to cover every expense, though as you are finding, it's a miserable existence (or subsistence, really) and it only takes a small spike in household expenses to plunge a household into crisis.

However, switching to direct debit and coming off the pre-payment meter should make it cheaper, plus you should try to negotiate down your debt repayments. The debt free wanabee board or Citizens Advice may know more (or even the Utilities forum on this website), to understand your rights and the suppliers obligations.

There are various loans available to those on benefits, such as a crisis or community loan, so you should see if your lack of oil will qualify you for one. The Direct Gov website should outline these, and the criteria for them, I'm not familiar with them.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    many people on benefits would look to live somewhere within the LHA limit so they do not have to use their JSA for rent top-up. It is quite a lot of your JSA you are having to add towards your rent (which would obviously be useful for other bills) how long have you been in your property and when is your lease till? If you were working when you moved in and the cannot get out the lease for a while you may be able to claim discretionary housing payment for the additional rent for a limited time
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    you could move to a cheaper place and save £180 a month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure