If you acknowledge debt within 6years but dont make payment, what'll show on Experian

I know that if you get a default on your credit record, but don't make any payment towards it for 6years then the debt automatically will no longer shows on your file after 6years from the date the default was registered on.

I also know that if you contact the bank or debt collection agency within those 6years, acknowledging the debt, that it resets the statute-barred clock (in that the dca have 6years from that date to restart trying to chase you).

However, even if you acknowledge the debt through letter, but don't actually make any payment towards the debt,
will that default still be visible on your credit record after 6years from the date the default was registered??

Or will it not be visible on your credit record, even though it is still chaseable?

Thanks

Comments

• vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    It is chase-able for ever more, statute barred is only a defence against court action.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Autumn86
    Autumn86 Posts: 275 Forumite
    vax2002 wrote: »
    It is chase-able for ever more, statute barred is only a defence against court action.

Yes i know it will be enforceable for 6years after the date of last contact is made by the customer,
    however,
    will it also show on the credit file after 6years of the default being registered, just because the customer contacted the dca?
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    If it has defaulted it will drop off after 6 years from the date of default whether it is paid or not.

However, now that you've acknowledged the debt it gives them extra time to secure a CCJ, which means it'll never go SB.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure