PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Jimmys Food Factory - New Programme: Weds 21st Oct

Hi everyone! :wave:

There's a really interesting looking programme starting next Wednesday on BBC1 called Jimmys Food Factory where the lovely Jimmy (who had his own series about opening and running his own farm) looks at our every day food and explores what is actually put into it.

I know there has been a few programmes around on a similar vein but thought it might be something worth watching and maybe commenting on?

The first episode is about Breakfast. It starts at 7.30pm on BBC1. Opposite Coronation Street I know but hopefully it will get some good ratings. I know it isn't strictly OS, but I think showing people how badly some of our food is messed around with might just encourage them to start cooking from scratch with good ingredients?

Pen or Pink, if you think this should go somewhere else by all means move me.. giggle.gifouttahere.gif

Diva.x
To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.

Comments

• Nordictat2
    Nordictat2 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Couldn't get into Jimmy's Farm but this show sounds a wee bit more interesting.
    Sometimes, I rather not know what goes into foods. Like a hot dog. I know it's scraps *coughs* but I don't need to see it hehe.
    :D *If you like the advice I give...let me know by clicking the THANKS button* :D
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Oh well - Corrie can wait till later on ITV2 :rotfl:
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'll be interested in having a look at that when it comes up.

Would it be possible for someone to post an Iplayer linkie for it when its available?
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,092 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Thanks for flagging that up, will definitely look out for it & hope it covers breakfast cereals if breakfast is his first programme. Just seen something recently about the amount of salt, sugar, etc in well-known cereal brands and it made me wonder how on earth this stuff ever managed to get itself marketed as healthy. I don't often buy breakfast cereal as I don't really enjoy it, but on the occasions that I do, I can't believe what it costs. The profit margins on it must be enormous.....some of these very lacklustre flakes aimed at dieting women seem to be little more than air! Reckon we'd probably get more nutrients & fibre if we ripped up the box & ate it with milk!
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Money_saving_Diva_2
    Money_saving_Diva_2 Posts: 2,914 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2009 at 2:15PM
    Foxgloves - From the write up it does look like he is examining cornflakes and coffee as part of the breakfast programme and I totally agree with the whole 'diet flakes' cereals.. cardboard packaged as a food product!

Nordict - I am with you there.. but then I don't expect junk food to have great ingredients, but it is a bit different when it is something that we wouldn't necessarily class as junk.

Ceridwen - I am sure someone will be able to get the link for you - I might even try myself though I am not incredibly clever with technology, but how hard can it be?? :rotfl:

Ollie - thank goodness for ITV2, I shall be doing the same!

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • dronid
    dronid Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    I will be recording it!

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

I moved to Liverpool for a better life.
    And goodness, it's turned out to be better and busier!
  • Just a reminder folks! Programme is on tonight, BBC1 at 1930 (7.30pm)

Pop back here afterwards and let's see what we all think?

Diva.x
  • 23rdspiral
    23rdspiral Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver! Xmas Saver!
    thanks, it does sound interesting, if a little scary!
    Relax, Breathe, Love 2014 Challenges:Cross Stitch Cafe Challenger 23. Frugal Living Challenger. No buying cleaning products. I used MSE advice to reduce my car insurance from 550 to 325!! & paid it off in full!!!
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Well I watched it, but I haven't worked out what the point of the programme was?

So he showed us how corn flakes are made, that robots milk cows better than humans, and how to make instant coffee.........So?

Can't wait for next week when he shows us how to make a sandwich :confused:
  • Mrs_Thrify
    Mrs_Thrify Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Interesting, I would not have used my tumble drier to dry the corn to make cornflakes. Playing around with food in an old shed was not very health and safty. He did not even ware a hair net. That said we did get to see how our breakfasts are made in factory's.
    If winter comes, can spring be far behind?
    Spring begins on 21st March.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport