Once you get dla what else can you get?

Hi

iv just been awarded high rate care and high rate mobility dla and im wondering what other things im entitled too. i was told i may be able to get a car in exchange for my mobility money is this true?

do i have to pay road tax?

one other thing is if you are disabled do you get a higher priority on the housing list for a counsil property?

Comments

• strong96
    strong96 Posts: 127 Forumite
    High rate mobility you are entitiled to a car on the motobility scheme, they tax it insure it service it, basically all your responsible for is the petrol.
    Go on the motobility website and it tells you everything along with all the cars you can choose from
  • jox_2
    jox_2 Posts: 138 Forumite
    oh no i cant get a car because i have 6 points on my licence evern tho it was over 3 years ago it says no serious convitions in the last 5 years so thats out the window.
  • strong96
    strong96 Posts: 127 Forumite
    when are the points due to be removed? also you can apply for a car and nominate the spouse as being the driver of the vehicle if they do most of the driving
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    jox wrote: »
    one other thing is if you are disabled do you get a higher priority on the housing list for a counsil property?

No and yes!

(1) Depends where you live. Local councils allocate houses in different ways. Say you live in a flat on the fifth floor of a tower block and there's no lift and you can no longer manage the stairs. Some councils would give you extra points because your current housing is unsuitable. They might take the fact that you have DLA as proof that you can no longer manage the stairs, but more often than not they ask for a doctors letter which has nothing to do with you having DLA. You don't usually get any extra housing rights just because you have DLA.

(2) If you go to the Shelter website you can get advice there:

Shelter link

They have a free housing helpline.

Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • Those on the higher rate care component of DLA need 24 hour care.

Social service by law have to assess your needs and that of your carer then either provide a package of care or offer a direct payment to purchase that care http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/caringforsomeone/moneymatters/DG_10012522
    Your local council have to provide accomadation
    NATIONAL ASSISTANCE ACT 1948 (CHOICE OF ACCOMMODATION)
    DIRECTIONS 1992
  • jox, 6 points isnt too many for motability, better to go to a dealer as they are the ones putting applications through and can tell you more 'real life' detail about the scheme.

ETA just realised you didnt say if thats 1 lot of 6 point or 2 lots of 3, 2 lots of 3 would be ok, you need to ask about 6
    :j
    Baby born May 29th 09
    :j
    If you didn't know how old you were, how old would you be?
    :A
    I won a Mauve Lip Gloss (17/8/9)
  • almar wrote: »
    What kind of care will social services pay for that a carer can't do and will the social service payments affect benefits already received.

No.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/BeginnersGuideToBenefits/DG_10018558
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/DG_10016128
  • jox_2
    the 6 points are all in one in10 no insurance, bought a new car drove it home with out insuring it and got stoped this was 3 years and 3 months ago. is there anyway i can get a quote on a mobility car?

are you sure the coulsil have to provide me accomodation im sure i read somwhere been disabled dosent give you higher priority?

in 3 months my brother is moving to another city and he is currently in counsil accomodation, he has told them he will be moving and asked them if he can put my name on the tenency when he moves, and the told him i need to have lived there for 6months before they can do that. surely they cant deny a disabled person this :confused:
  • jox wrote: »
    the 6 points are all in one in10 no are you sure the coulsil have to provide me accomodation im sure i read somwhere been disabled dosent give you higher priority?

in 3 months my brother is moving to another city and he is currently in counsil accomodation, he has told them he will be moving and asked them if he can put my name on the tenency when he moves, and the told him i need to have lived there for 6months before they can do that. surely they cant deny a disabled person this :confused:

To receive the higher rate care component of DLA you need 24 hour care i.e. a carer needs to provide actual care throughout the day and night maybe changing oxygen bottles giving medication, feeding toileting ect. One person could not supply that amount of care hence the reason social services have the legal responsibility to asses your needs and those of your carer. The NATIONAL ASSISTANCE ACT 1948 places the responsibility on the council (no matter which local authority you chose to live in) of either providing residential accommodation or rented property for people that have a severe disability. There is a great deal of help available especially for those on the higher rate care of DLA. Your social service department will advise you. With regards driving have you notified DVLA of your disability, you are legally obliged to? They will advise you if it is safe for you to drive a car.
  • jox_2
    yes i have told dla and my conditon wont affect my ability to drive. as for housing im worried they will just put me in a hostel or something which i dont want i need to be near my carer, which would make my brothers place idea as its around the courner from my carer!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure