Debit card fraud... bad day for me.

Options

Comments

• CHR15
    CHR15 Posts: 5,193 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Toe-Jam wrote: »
    3K at william hill, whatabout all these fraud systems they are suppose to have, surely that looks a bit unusual !

I had a grand total of £5,400 scammed from my Lloyds Debit Card whilst I was in London a few weeks ago. All going to Ladbrooks

My Debit Card never left my sight, used to buy underground tickets and meals (paid for on those remote card readers the waiters carry).

Lloyds were good as gold, took about 12 days to get the money back but fortunately I was in a position to transfer some to avoid any charges (although the bank did reassure me I wouldnt suffer any penalties).

All my (ha) Ladbrooks transactions were in Euro's starting at 300, then another, then 500, 500, 600, 800,900,900 and so it went on until the bank cottoned on and cancelled the card.

Scumbags.
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    We used a card we didn't ever really use much in a Little Chef.

A week later, MINT phoned us to confirm that we really did want to hire a top notch limo from some chauffeur firm in London (we didn't).

The card had apparantly been cloned, but MINT were luckily on the ball and just replaced the card for us without any hassles.

And, we always now pay cash if we go into one of the motorway services.

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    Options
    i wont use loyds bank then
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    LLoyds actually rang me one Sunday to ask if I'd had a recent transaction declined - when I said not they told me that one had been declined by them for an online ASDA shop of £150.00. Spot on! Card cancelled, transaction declined and new card with me in 4 days.

No complaints! :j
  • Spartacus_Mills
    Spartacus_Mills Posts: 5,545 Forumite
    Options
    CHR15 wrote: »
    I had a grand total of £5,400 scammed from my Lloyds Debit Card whilst I was in London a few weeks ago. All going to Ladbrooks

My Debit Card never left my sight, used to buy underground tickets and meals (paid for on those remote card readers the waiters carry).

That is probably where it got cloned. It is not uncommon for a waiter to skin a card when taking a payment, unfortunately.
    "There's no such thing as Macra. Macra do not exist."
    "I could play all day in my Green Cathedral".
    "The Centuries that divide me shall be undone."
    "A dream? Really, Doctor. You'll be consulting the entrails of a sheep next. "
  • angelsmomma
    angelsmomma Posts: 1,192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    LLoyds actually rang me one Sunday to ask if I'd had a recent transaction declined - when I said not they told me that one had been declined by them for an online ASDA shop of £150.00. Spot on! Card cancelled, transaction declined and new card with me in 4 days.

No complaints! :j

I suspected my card had been compromised after my computer had been hacked into so nipped right into my local LLoyds and they allowed me to use their phone to call the creditcard number (I hate having to pay for calls to 0845 numbers as only have mobile).
    They cancelled the card immediately and sent out the new one in 5 days. Great service
    Life is not the way it’s supposed to be. It’s the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ...... (I hate having to pay for calls to 0845 numbers as only have mobile).....

I really think the time has come for 08** numbers to bite the dust, as more an more people use their mobile as their primary means of calling.

An 03*** number would be far better for companies who wish to offer a number not linked to a specific town as it's effectively "free" for most contract mobile users with a bundle and the same price as a regular landline for anyone else.
  • Toe-Jam
    Toe-Jam Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Options
    Why do people keep £1000's in their current accounts, surely this is asking for trouble. Not to mention the fact that its earning hardly any interest.

I keep about £100 in mine, and the rest in a savings account, I can tranfer between them on my mobile.

I've been cought out twice by recurring transactions, which isn't fraud, but its theft as I didn't allow them to take the money but they did anyway.
  • RHYSDAD
    RHYSDAD Posts: 2,346 Forumite
    Options
    I had just shy of a £1000 taken from my Halifax current account. We fequented a Dim Sum bar in town which was somewhere we don't usually visit. Lo and Behold, 5 days later i noticed these strange transactions and it turned out they were purchases made in a town called Baku in Azerbaijan. Halifax were great about it and i had the money returned witihn 10 days (they provided a fee free OD to tide me over).

Seems to be rife these days although chip and pin was meant to stop this wasn't it...:think:
    "Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."

Chinese Proverb

• brokeinyorkshire
    Options
    The card holder is actually liable for the first £50 regardless. The banks actually have the right to do this.

Having said that most banks will refund 100% but if their is any doubt about your security you will be given £50 less back.

Not so.

We only apply the £50.00 charge if the customer has been negligent or delayed reporting the fraud.

The bank does have the right to apply the £50.00 liabilty but does not do so in every case.
    (c) Broke in Yorkshire. ( there are worse places ) :D

Those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure