Sick notes & JSA ???? Im confused !!!!

If some one is in receipt of JSA , but has been signed off sick by their doctor. How does this effect their JSA, bearing in mind, the ESA medical felt they are fit for work ???????

Im more than a little confused ........:confused:

Thanks very much

Comments

• busy_mom_2
    busy_mom_2 Posts: 1,391
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You can have 2 periods of sickness in a 12 mnth period whilst claiming jsa but these periods cannot exceed 14 days or your claim will have to close. If you have been found fit for work and your sick note is for the same illness and you will need to appeal against the decision but be quick there is a time scale for appeals, if you have a different illness then you need to reclaim ESA if you sick note exceeds 14 days.
  • mandi
    mandi Posts: 11,932
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Forumite
    Thanks Busy mom

The sick note is for the same illness, and ezceeds 14 days , so still unsure what would happen if the appeal fails ????

Do the DWP expect you to be fit for work , even when the doctor says your not ??

Thanks again
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    mandi wrote: »
    Thanks Busy mom

The sick note is for the same illness, and ezceeds 14 days , so still unsure what would happen if the appeal fails ????

Do the DWP expect you to be fit for work , even when the doctor says your not ??

Thanks again
    If you were to claim ESA again within a six month disallowance then they would send it to a Decision Maker to see whether the claim can be accepted. In most cases it wont be unless the DM is satisfied that the illness has got significantly worse.

The DWP DO expect you to be fir for work if the departmental doctors (Or the contracted ones) decide that you are fit for work. Some GP's give sick lines for nothing.

What stage are you at at the minute? Had you been on ESA, gone on JSA, and want to claim ESA again?
  • mandi
    Forumite
    Thanks ESA

Have been on ESA, but deemed fit after the medical. Wating to see CPN, deemed unfit by my GP , ( well 4 actually . ) I dont know if I should appeal the medical , or just go onto JSA. This is extremely stressful , at the very time I least need it ..

Thanks again
  • mandi
    Forumite
    mm still confused, Can anyone help please.........
  • veggyboy
    veggyboy Posts: 135 Forumite
    Mandi
    You are not the only one confused by this. I also failed my medical (am appealing aginst desicion) and was told to claim JSA instead, only to be told by advisor on the phone I couldn't claim JSA as they have a sick note on file. When I started my appeal aginst ESA medical I was told I would need to keep supplying sick notes untill the appeal is over.
    I used to be me !! what happened :confused:
  • mandi
    Forumite
    veggyboy wrote: »
    Mandi
    You are not the only one confused by this. I also failed my medical (am appealing aginst desicion) and was told to claim JSA instead, only to be told by advisor on the phone I couldn't claim JSA as they have a sick note on file. When I started my appeal aginst ESA medical I was told I would need to keep supplying sick notes untill the appeal is over.

Thanks veggyboy..

I am totally confused, as I have been signed off by my GP, for the next 4 weeks at least, yet I cant claim ESA, and I wont be available to work........... Sigh
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    mandi - stick in an appeal. Its paid at the same rate as JSA anyway. You will probably have a delay in income either way but at least ESA means you dont have to look for work if you dont feel like it or arent fit to.
  • busy_mom_2
    busy_mom_2 Posts: 1,391
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Plus if you appeal but claim jsa in the mean time you are signing every 2 weeks and stating you are fit for work so in some ways not helping your appeal
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    busy_mom wrote: »
    Plus if you appeal but claim jsa in the mean time you are signing every 2 weeks and stating you are fit for work so in some ways not helping your appeal

This will not affect the appeal at all, the tribunal will not take this fact into account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure