PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Snort. Pratface. Actually, I'd go the other way and say nothing about it on facebook and not anything about your life at all. He'll start to hear from the kids that you've done this or that and when he finds out he doesn't know what is up he'll start to imagine even more and it might hit home that he really isn't included. Either way, I hope the girls night is very enjoyable for your sake!
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Well pratface is more polite than the name I have for my ex which begins with W, ends in r and rhymes with banker.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well pratface is more polite than the name I have for my ex which begins with W, ends in r and rhymes with banker.

Oh Hester :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: when my younger son as about 12 he came back from visiting his Dad and asked me why I married him ' cos he's a w***er! I found it very hard not to laugh while I told him off for his language & he retorted 'Well he is!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Never did I expect to see the words 'mardatha' and 'normal' in such close proximity.

Fuddle: don't worry about dd1. It's so important at her age to fit in to her peer group. She is just beginning to separate herself a bit from her parents which she has to do in order to discover who she is herself. That's probably clumsily put, but its a stage we all have to go through if we hope to emerge as independent, self confident, clear thinking people. Don't worry. The wonderful upbringing and the superb values that you given her thus far will stand her in good stead. She will never lose the foundation she will have for the rest of her life because of you, but just now she is a child of the 21st century and if she is to cope with all the pressures that will bring she must start practising now.
    This is the hardest stage of all for parents who see all their beliefs and attitudes being weighed in the balance and found wanting by their beloved children. It's hard not to feel rejected but you're not really. DD1 is just testing the water.

burtha, can I back up what Mrs LW and FairyP have said about not spreading what you are up to on FB. Tempting though it is to rub PF's nose in it, it is much more effective to have him find out by accident as it were. He will, don't fret. The jungle drums will see to that. Then he will never be entirely sure of what you are up to, which is a very satisfactory state of affairs. Added to that, if you are brisk and business like and detached in your dealings with him, it will enhance his feelings of uncertainty about you which is all to the good. It will be very, very hard but you will end up NOT being the victim.

Now I must go and do some work.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 August 2017 at 10:36AM
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    I loved Enid Blyton as a child but was horrified in later life when my DDs were reading them. They were such nasty children , really horrible to each other, and I noticed my elder DD talking to her younger sister in a really unpleasant way after an Enid Blyton binge.

I read all the series mentioned by others plus a few - anyone remember the Bobsey twins? And there was a series about a student nurse set in the 1930s (I'm not thinking about Lucilla Andrews that came later) The sheer joy of discovering a new series to gobble up, nothing beats it

I did read a series about an American nurse, Sue Barton, would that be the series you're thinking of? The first one was called "Sue Barton - Student Nurse". In later books she married a doctor (quelle surprise) and worked as a District Nurse.

nursemaggie I read the Whiteoaks books too! I'd forgotten all about them! I can't remember much about them except that the estate was called Jalna, and I think one of the characters was called Adeline, a name I hadn't come across before and I puzzled
    as to whether the "line" rhymed with "seen" or "mine".
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Ooh yes I'd forgotten that - it was set in New Hampshire wasn't it? The one I was thinking of was British. She was a clergyman's daughter and I remember her saying earnestly to the eminent surgeon that her mother used to use shirttails to make handkerchiefs because it was so economical
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    Funny that VJs but book shops annoy me too. The older, second hand ones give me the wullies and the new ones stress me out because they confuse the delight of books with commerce and marketing.

... eldest just sat there with her esrphones in earnwhilst on her phone. My worst nightmare is happening folks. I hope it's just a phase and she'll come out the other end with my ethos firmly intact.

I'd not thought about it being the commerciality of it.... I think it's also the shear volume of stuff..

My DS is starting to come out of that phase - he's 18 (don't want to worry you :p) he gets his A level results tomorrow :eek:
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    I did read a series about an American nurse, Sue Barton, would that be the series you're thinking of? The first one was called "Sue Barton - Student Nurse". In later books she married a doctor (quelle surprise) and worked as a District Nurse.

I LOVED Sue Barton books - I was trying to think of the name of those yesterday...
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hester

Is it bad that I immediately guessed the name? ;)

fuddle

I am so glad the allotment is coming along. It goes so much against the grain to say this but having DH in the background and obviously behind you is making a difference in the attitudes of the "warden" and the more Neanderthal of the lottie holders.

ivyleaf

I read the Sue Barton books too but could not remember the name.

maradtha

I read a lot of Victorian ghost stories, Conan Doyle, G. K. Chesterton , Edgar Allen Poe. Sheridan Le Fanu as well as the usual suspects. I was such a quick reader I went to the library every day and practically inhaled the contents.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Good to see your post Burtha. You are doing great.
    Can I be secretary to the Sarcastic grumps? I am menopausal and ready to plough one on my boss, so qualified?
    I too loved the library as a child. I read all the Winston Graham's Poldark books. A great writer. Love the paranormal too Mar. At present loving the Scandinavian authors. Very dark.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I like Graham Masterton, love Joe Donnelly, and F Paul Wilson. Def not sweet little old lady reading :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback