60th birthday for MIL

We're really at a loss of what to do / what to buy for my husband's mother in October. She's not really into spa's / pampering, doesn't wear jewelry, not into gardening and is fussy with what she eats. She would probably enjoy a party or family meal but most of the family live quite far so not sure we could get the numbers for a party and paying for everyone's food for a meal might work out too expensive for us. We want it to be special as she's had a hard few years. Any suggestions would be great.

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    A weekend away? Either on her birthday or close to it. Special hotel or special place?- city, seaside, country?
    Or maybe you could stay somewhere near the rest of the family and they could dine at the same hotel (and pay for their own meals!)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • Katiehound
    Another, later thought. What about self catering? There are some lovely properties which accommodate a large number of people- so you might be able to invite some of the family (asking them to contribute to the cost) and ask them to bring a dish or two for a party....
    Many thanks
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • mai_taylor
    mai_taylor Posts: 220 Forumite
    Katiehound wrote: »
    Another, later thought. What about self catering? There are some lovely properties which accommodate a large number of people- so you might be able to invite some of the family (asking them to contribute to the cost) and ask them to bring a dish or two for a party....

Love this idea, will look into thanks.
  • 7roland8
    7roland8 Posts: 3,601 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Why not all descend on her for the weekend - each bring some food or prepare some so you have a lovely family get-together at not much cost. I'm sure having the family together will be worth more to her than material presents. Maybe a nice frame and take a pic of you all together. Also why not put together a slide show of pics form through her life to show on the day? Would not cost hardly anything apart form petrol and a little food.
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I agree with Katiehound look for a large house within a reasonable distance from all involved and chip in with the cost. My niece went on a hen party recently where the weekend included a chef or all help to do the cooking,
    When I have been to on (large) family holidays I have looked at Owners Direct rather than Sykes,
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • For my mum's 60th my sister and I bought her a hot air balloon ride, which she loved.

The holiday ideas sound good :)
  • Katiehound
    Another much later thought!!
    If finances aren't too bad what about taking her on a short cruise for her birthday? then have a family celebration later in her 60th year-that could be an extra special Christmas 'do.'

I know that Fred.Olsen gives guests with landmark birthdays on the cruise that day a complimentary package- don't know what it is but guess a cake, maybe a bottle, small present.- and the waiters singing happy birthday!!
    If you sail round the British Isles (with Fred) you don't need a passport.
    Many thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure