Sky £20 fee to transfer phone number

Hi guys:hello:
I used MSE's Unbundled tool (thanks Martin!) and found a broadband and line rental deal for £15 per month with Sky. However, I would like to keep my phone number but they want £20 to transfer it. Any suggestions for getting them to waive this fee? Tried haggling via the online chat but they wouldn't budge. I know it's a good deal, but most providers don't charge to keep your old number.
Should I try again or just grab the good deal?:undecided
Any advice welcome thanks.:)

Comments

• Can't say I've heard of Sky (or anyone else) charging for keeping the same number, is this charge generated by your previous supplier perhaps? Who are you coming from?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    £20 same number
    £0 may not transfer number .
  • I changed from BT to Sky 2 weeks ago and kept my number with no charge. Can't understand why you are being charged!
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    chippy2u wrote: »
    I changed from BT to Sky 2 weeks ago and kept my number with no charge. Can't understand why you are being charged!

I changed from Sky to BT just over a year ago and wasnt charged.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    edited 29 September 2017 at 12:08PM
    My sister changed from PlusNet to Sky last Friday, no charge to transfer number but there is the £19.95 setup which I assume includes the newer modem.

She got ADSL and line for £15 , then £20.50 including Anytime calls.

On the main page they have put the non-customer rate up a lot, but the customer one is £18 with a £50 MasterCard, averaging just under £16, but if you log into your account, the offer is still £15 (oddly for 11months,though lower down the page it says 12 months).

My sister left PlusNet, as I intend to do and Sky said they would cover the cease from Plusnet, too.

It would be interesting to see if anyone is getting the £15 offer as an existing tv customer as the main and customer pages disagree on price, as my minimum term is up in three weeks.
  • teddysmum
    shaggy wrote: »
    I changed from Sky to BT just over a year ago and wasnt charged.

The OP is referring to joining Sky, not leaving them, so the situation is different.

Going from Sky to PlusNet had no cease charge for me, but leaving PlusNet a will have a £30 fee.
  • teddysmum
    A thought: OP who issued your number,as there could be a problem if it was not originally a BT number eg one of TalkTalks ?

Perhaps Sky mean that they cannot guarantee getting a number not belonging to BT,unless you pay up.
  • teddysmum wrote: »
    My sister changed from PlusNet to Sky last Friday, no charge to transfer number but there is the £19.95 setup which I assume includes the newer modem.

She got ADSL and line for £15 , then £20.50 including Anytime calls.

On the main page they have put the non-customer rate up a lot, but the customer one is £18 with a £50 MasterCard, averaging just under £16, but if you log into your account, the offer is still £15 (oddly for 11months,though lower down the page it says 12 months).

My sister left PlusNet, as I intend to do and Sky said they would cover the cease from Plusnet, too.

It would be interesting to see if anyone is getting the £15 offer as an existing tv customer as the main and customer pages disagree on price, as my minimum term is up in three weeks.

That £15 Sky offer is already history, they're advertising £20 for unlimited ADSL now (£18 for existing customers(?))
  • teddysmum
    edited 29 September 2017 at 12:56PM
    That £15 Sky offer is already history, they're advertising £20 for unlimited ADSL now (£18 for existing customers(?))

But if you log onto your account it is still £15 for existing tv customers; hence my question about still getting the offer.

The main page offers £18 and a £50 MasterCard, making it just under £16.

It's still a good deal compared with others,though. All my sister could get ,after asking two people,was £1 off to stay with PlusNet.
  • teddysmum wrote: »
    But if you log onto your account it is still £15 for existing tv customers; hence my question about still getting the offer.

The main page offers £18 and a £50 MasterCard, making it just under £16.

It's still a good deal compared with others,though. All my sister could get ,after asking two people,was £1 off to stay with PlusNet.

I missed the £50 card offer. I just signed in and can't see the £15 offer anywhere though, in fact it lists ADSL as full price at £28.99 :(

Just out of interest I clicked through the I want to leave option and they offered me a wapping £5 off full price, I can't wait for renegotiations to come around again. :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure