Say No to 0870!

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I cannot agree more with this campaign.

Having forgotten to pay my Barclaycard bill on time I find myself with a wopping £20 late payment charge, a horrendous 17.5% interest tag and to top it all a 0870 number to complain to. It took over 2 minutes of pressing buttons to reach a human and the call then lasted at least another 3 minutes! It is nothing but profiteering and usuary. I told them so and asked them to log my complaint using those words.

Keep up the good work
  • System
    I agree with you Martin that something must be done about these 0870 numbers. Recently BMI Baby sent me an email to tell me that they were cancelling my flight to Barcelona as they would not be flying there from EMA in August. The only way I could get a full refund was to call them on an 0870 number. They will not reply to emails, only read them.

As it was not my fault that the flight was cancelled I cannot see why I have to pay to get my money back. What a rip off!
  • Loopytush
    Loopytush Posts: 37 Forumite
    Catherine Lewis:

Ok I agree that maybe the naming of the 0870 should be changed but not too premium rate, possible bussiness calls? This is where a lot of people get my back up by calling 0870 anbd 0845 premium rate numbers, yes they charge a little more but lets not get them confused with PRS numbers.

As far as my comment "if you dont want to call them then dont use them" if you think about it logically it must stand as a valid comment. You state what about benefits. Well no disrespect to those that do have benefits and I am sure there are many that ligitmatly have to claim, but what you are saying is that although you want some money for nothing, you begrudge that few pence on a call?

Maybe if the consumer/public started to me realistic (i.e. not expect so much service/goods so cheap or in your senario did not make false claims etc) then companies and bodies would not try to make extra revenue from calls.

Also have you ever seen the q in a benefits office? Why should someone calling in get seen to quicker than a single parent who has been sat around for an hour? In the benefits office situation they actually use the number for routing purposes and stats. From the 0845 they can get better stats so they know what staff they need. So really the extra you are paying for the call allows you to

a) Not have to go in and wait for hours
    b) Gives you the ability to get queries sorted quicker.

Like I say maybe they should be renamed (but not premium) and as with people on here complaining about calling them its simple:

1) Before making a complaint do you have the right to complain or have you got a luxury service (i.e. Sky, a mobile etc) or have you purchased goods (i am sure if goods you shoppped around for the cheapest).

2) Again if you dont want to call them then dont.

Look at fast food, this is the 1 industry that is not really effected by consumer demands for lower prices. Yes they still make over 100% mark up. Now I myself have never come across a fast food outlet or deleivery that uses an non-geographical number. So if companies can continue to make a profit they dont use the numbers.

Unlike a mobile network for instance. You buy a phone from them. They have not made the phone they just provide the service behind it. And I can confirm that they make very little profit on the handsets themselves. But when the handset has a fault who do 99.9% of people call? The network, why they never made the phone Nokia etc did. But the network will

a) answer the call
    b) deal with the problem
    c) arrange replacements and repairs etc

Now why should they pay that out of the very little profit they make on handsets etc? (just an example but sure you understand).

The bottom line is the more we want cheap and good service the more companies will have to replace that loss of revenue that they have providing the call centre agents etc.

A exaple I also gave earlier still stands about the guy with SKY. If you are such a penny pincher (that is not a bad label as most of us are) why have sky? Can you watch all them channels at once? Is there not a set of 5 channels on normal tv?

My overall point is people are making too much of a big fuss over this kind of thing, when more important issues are ignored or taken for granted.
  • Loopytush
    The guy with the flight.

Have you thought that maybe it was not there fault, there will be a reason the flight being cancelled but

a) They have to pay many things for flights
    b) When you pay they do not get all the money they have bank charges fuel staff etc etc

If the flight was cancelled for instance fault on plane or at destination why shoulf they not recover some of the money they lose on your refund. I mean a full refund still occurs then two lots of bank charges (i.e you paying in and them paying out). And again lets be honest a flight is a luxury so if you want luxuries you have to pay for them.
  • Loopytush
    After all these posts and those on the last thread. I bet none of you have even thought about making these companies and others pay to call you?

I do it, when I give any company my details they get either an 0870 or an 0871 as my contact. Turn the tables on them.

I even did a test once and connected an 0871 number to my house phone and then signed up for loads of surveys etc online and ticked the box to allow my details get passed around to other companies. Sure I got a few extra letters a week, and certainly got a lot more telemarketing and telesales calls. SO much in fact that in 2 months my 0871 had earned enough to pay for:

1 month mobile phone bill
    1 month Petrol for car

You see my view has and always be that as consumers who want the service we will not be able (in 90% of cases) change anything about the service providers so if we cant beat them join them.

I was once calling NTL, they took 19 minutes to answer to rectify a fault there service was having. I asked them to call me back on a personal number (0702 when revenue was allowed for the end user) and again was on the phone for an eternity and after the call I was better off by:

1) Fault repaired
    2) Half price service for a month
    3) £15 revenue for the call they made back to me.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is not the first I've heard of this technique. In fact some people have been e-mailing me telling me they are now doing it with £1.50 a minute premium rate numbers!
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Criminal Records Bureau

I think that we have established that 0870 numbers cost more than geographic ones, and the company answering the call makes money on this differential.
    Would one of the protagonists of this system care to justify the following?

I wish to be on an "approved" list to babysit at a local holiday park. This will be a casual arrangement, and not terribly profitable, but fits with my other commitments.
    In order to do this I have to obtain enhanced disclosure from the criminal records bureau. This information is not "sold" by anyone else, hence no competion, and costs £33.
    The only way to get this disclosure from this government agency (ie funded by our taxes) seems to be an 0870 number. They will therefore be getting a top-up fee from my call, which is not disclosed on their website under fees at all. Then, once I start to do the work, they will also have a slice of the tax.
    If the CRB were in a competitive market, as mentioned previously, their sales line would probably be 0800 to draw in the customers. As they have a captive market, it is 0870.
    SHOCKING!!!

Hopping Mad Cash Cow

Grrrrr..bet you didn't know that cows could growl!!
    The cow is of the bovine ilk,
    One end is moo, the other milk.
  • System
    Has anyone tried out the half price phoneline rental offer as seen on https://www.beelinebroadband.co.uk ?
    It certainly appears to be a really good deal! ..esp. with the cheap broadband offer!
  • ???
    Surely this is just using the 0870 premium as a fee to connect you to foreign networks- quite legit, I think. Not really addressing the rip-off status of national 0870 charging?

...or am I missing something?? ???
    The cow is of the bovine ilk,
    One end is moo, the other milk.
  • System
    Loopytosh.
    You make the statement:-
    "As far as my comment "if you dont want to call them then dont use them" if you think about it logically it must stand as a valid comment. You state what about benefits. Well no disrespect to those that do have benefits and I am sure there are many that ligitmatly have to claim, but what you are saying is that although you want some money for nothing, you begrudge that few pence on a call?
    That 'few pence' on a call can rapidly build up at over 3p/min and proportionately for low income people it represents a big slice of their benefit. They do not 'want something for nothing' these are ENTITLEMENTS - the government are always complaining about LACK OF TAKEUP !! So give these folk a break!!
    But, as before, you are missing the point. Premium numbers are those which require you to pay EXTRA to the receiver - exactly the case of 0870 numbers. So call then what they are, please!! Don't start a new 'covert' name - 'business or whatever' that's how we got where we are now with 'Standard and National'.
    Finally, what kind of logic are you applying when you say to Kitty cat that as flights are luxuries she should expect to have to pay out even MORE money to get her cash back when goods are not delivered as contracted? This is the economics of the madhouse. Suppose goods bought in a shop were faulty, and when you took them back the owner said "Just go over to the Refunds counter, pay your £1 fee to my cashier and she will then give you your money back". Are you happy? From the previous response I'll bet you are.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure