Teachers - day off at the slightest sign of snow

Here we go again. The first snow of the winter and guess what - our sons school is shut because not enough teaching staff were able to get in. My wife was at home anyway today so it made no difference to us, but others had to change all sorts of plans.

There must be an inch of snow, if that. The main roads are clear and side roads are a bit icy at the most.

I got to work and every single person who was expected in made it in, more or less on time. Some have drives of over 40 miles.

As usual, nothing else was shut because of the weather, just the schools. And I also note that all the private schools were open as usual.

Rant over.

Comments

• fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    .. but others had to change all sorts of plans.

Just like you have to do if your child's ill, I guess.

I know this sort of thing is probably frustrating, but then life is at times.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I dont ever recall days off when it was snowing when I was a child. I guess teachers lived closer to work than they do now. We had snow didnt stop my disabled daughter going to voluntary work for a charity
  • paulofessex
    paulofessex Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    I believe it should work that teachers who work outside of their own area should attend a school in the areas which they reside in. OK the lessons may not be curriculum based as the day was planned but learning can still go ahead by qualified teachers, pupils do not miss a day and it helps to relieve any child care issues for parents.
  • PhylPho
    PhylPho Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Here we go again. The first snow of the winter and guess what - our sons school is shut because not enough teaching staff were able to get in. . .

I got to work and every single person who was expected in made it in, more or less on time. Some have drives of over 40 miles.. .

Every single person may've made it in where you work, but that's because you're all insensitive and uncaring.

Teachers are like all other publoic sector employees: they need to ensure their continuing and invaluable service to the community by protecting themselves against being assaulted by snow-flakes.

Same thing with every Town Hall and County Hall pen-pusher in the land: they have a moral duty to stay at home in case their contribution to Society is impaired by anything from a feeling of being, er, slightly unwell to a sense of, um, dampness in the air, to a sudden renewal of paralysing grief over the death of Princess Diana.

All too clearly, you work in the private sector. Shame on you!
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I believe it should work that teachers who work outside of their own area should attend a school in the areas which they reside in. OK the lessons may not be curriculum based as the day was planned but learning can still go ahead by qualified teachers, pupils do not miss a day and it helps to relieve any child care issues for parents.

Too sensible
  • bugbyte_2
    bugbyte_2 Posts: 413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Hum.

I have part responsibility for closing my school here in the Midlands (and no we haven't closed!) and what most of you don't realise is that most schools close not because staff can't get in - I could run my school for a day on 1/2 staff if needs be - but because if the site and routes are not secure your little darlings may slip over on their way in - not even in the school grounds and we would have our asses sued. If we do close - and I haven't for two years - staff often make their way in and those that don't have to account for what they have done in the time. Blame the gov. safeguarding policy if you like it is not the school's fault.
    Edible geranium
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    It may have had more to do with the bus operators not being able to transport the pupils safely to school due to the road being a sheet of ice (quite literally) with a covering of snow.
    I saw 2 lorries trying to leave the A12 at J28 (the football stadium turn-off) and getting almost to the top of the slip road before having to stop due to the traffic. They then gracefully slid most of the way back down before, wheels spinning, they managed to find grip again.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Those who can make it in, should make it in. I remember walking to school in the icy condition, slipped over and hurt my hand. I don't remember me or my parents blaming/suing the school for being open!

The only time I remember my school closing was a very icy day when the main school building's heating system failed. So the classrooms were just as cold as outside. Even then only the people who could get home - could get there and get in, left. The others stayed there, I don't know where they took them, maybe to one of the other buildings if they had their heating still. We were sat in our classrooms for a while with jackets on, until the head teachers and heads of years confirmed that we could go home.
  • MamaMoo_2
    MamaMoo_2 Posts: 2,644 Forumite
    I once turned up to school in the snow to find 90% of people hasn't turned up and they were shutting the school. The people that hasn't turned up lived locally, myself and another of my classmates lived an hour away by bus. We both made it in. Sometimes, I think it's just down to laziness.

My primary school was almost never closed. Usually only if it was so cold the pipes were frozen.
  • Dave_C_2
    Dave_C_2 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    patman99 wrote: »
    It may have had more to do with the bus operators not being able to transport the pupils safely to school due to the road being a sheet of ice (quite literally) with a covering of snow.
    Can't the little darlings (and their parents) walk?
    Or use the Chelsea tractor with 4WD?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport