PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning glass ceramic hob

Comments

• Pollycat wrote: »
    Hi
    I use a cleaner called 'Hob Brite' on my ceramic hob.

I've had my ceramic hob for 15 years and it still looks like new.
    I think the trick is to clean it every time you spill anything, only use pans that are recommended for ceramic hobs and don't drag the pans across the hob to avoid scratches.

I love mine, I would never want to cook on anything else.

Polly
    :T

I second this!:D
    :wave:
  • morg_monster
    morg_monster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    We have an AEG ceramic hob which looked pretty much brand new when we moved in (rented accom). We spill things on it all the time and just use mr muscle when wiping the other surfaces, obviously that doesn't get everything off. Then about once a month use Hob Brite with kitchen roll or the old pan scrubber and some elbow grease. I've got to say even with this "neglect", after the hob brite it still looks as good as new, no stains or marks remain.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    tine wrote: »
    Alternatively don't let your OH cook and I bet it'll be a lot easier to clean ;)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rolleyes: Well chance would be a fine thing, he wouldn't know how to switch one on. Can honestly say in the 10 years we've been together I've never seen him use the cooker. No risk there then.

Got some hob brite today thanks for the tip, took me ages to find it in the shop!

I checked the pans (just after I ordered the cooker :o panic moment) as I'd just bought a new set and they are fine. It said don't drag them and to lift them, I'm sure in time I'll stop cringing every time I put them down thinking I might break it :o :rotfl: I got some non scratch scourer pad things, scotch brite ones when I got the pans so will use those on the cooker most likely, they don't even scratch glass or stainless but are good at shifting stuff.

Cooked using it for the first time last night, I don't know what impressed me the most that it heated so quick or cooled down so quick! I like it :D

Another quick ? I used to put the yorkshire pudding tin on the hob while I fill the moulds, guessing I won't be able to do this on the ceramic one ?
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Garetha
    Garetha Posts: 981 Forumite
    Ceramic hobs are tough!
    Don't worry too much
    - we sometimes use a metal scourer :eek: if it needs a tough clean
    - and it still looks OK
  • Katykat
    Katykat Posts: 1,743 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Got some Hob Brite with my cooker, but I find that cif is better, but even that doesn't remove the "ground in marks". I've heard that there is an tool like a scraper but I'm a bit wary about it scratching the glass. Anyone used one, or used anything elase?
    :smileyhea A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It won't scratch, I got one supplied with my hob its just a fancy blade scraper... just the same as one you would use for your windows to get paint off,.. just make sure you change the blade often ... they work a treat and I use mine on the oven doors too...
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I just use a squirt of neat stardrops and a j-cloth. Sometimes I have to rub hard on spills, but they usually lift of fairly easily. Then I rinse the cloth and wash the stardrops off, and repeat until it's gleaming.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • nic82
    nic82 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Hi Katy Kat,

The scraper can be bought from here: http://www.homecareproducts.co.uk/scraperkit.htm

I've got one and it's fab. It comes with three blades and I'm only on my second one and I bought the kit nearly two years ago.
  • Wouldnt bother paying for a scraper kit, just use a stanley knife blade, same thing and one lasts for ages, not really any need for a plastic handle! Have the blade at about 30degrees to the glass and gently scrape, most stuff comes off really easily.
  • Hob brite and scraper for me, and clean up spills promptly.

"It Works" pads are good but you have to buy alot and they're not all that cheap.
    :wave:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport