Selling Books on Green Metropolis Discussion (Merged)

Comments

• ayla261
    ayla261 Posts: 450 Forumite
    yeah i appreciate that but the whole point of greenmetropolis is for others to be able to appreciate these stories instead of the books sitting idly on the shelf, these new buyers can then purchase texts at fraction of what store price would be with an extra bonus of helping the environment by donating to a trust that regrows the forest. As it is a site actively for recycling most purchasers are quite happy to recieve reused packing and most of the members both buy and sell on there.
    If you're just doing for money then yeah try ebay, although most of my lots do well i find my books never sell thru it
    This time next year Rodney... :D
  • Umer
    Umer Posts: 419 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for this!
  • vtmil
    vtmil Posts: 282 Forumite
    thanks ayla- just listed a whole load of books on there so fingers crossed they sell!!
    I've tried to sell these on ebay with no success- wasting 30p a go each time so its gotta be worth a go!!

So im now on the hunt for books! Im a car booter and the seasons just starting again.. hopefully i'll pick up a few bargains!! might look for a job lot on ebay too :o)
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    shammyjack wrote:
    Not calling anyone a liar but having been around here a little longer than you I know that members appreciate accurate information .

True postal costs are relevant to your post and I am not trying to demene it , I know it was made in good faith .

If you are posting books in an ordinary envelope with no packing or stiffeners then you will eventually get complaints . If selling on eBay with the postal methods you employ every feedback would be a negative !

shammy
    Ayla stated that she uses a jiffy bag, not an ordinary envelope. I think most people buying from eBay would rather have recycled packaging materials than pay over the odds for brand new jiffy bags etc. Not only is it better for the environment but for the buyers pockets.

What relevance does it have how long you have been a member for, hardly welcoming for new members.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ayla261 wrote:
    okey dokey whatever you say, i thought id post so others could reap the benefits but now made to feel like liar, wont bother again

ps just checked my latest postage reciepts:
    71p
    47p
    71p
    67p
    £1.12 (this package had two novels in)
    74p

pps my last load of books was 6 boxes full bought from ebay for 99p, 12 have so far sold equalling £36 and allowing packaging priced 83p as you qouted (£9.96) still made profit of £26 and have around 200 books downstairs as yet unsold :T

Thank you for the site info, I personally love greenmetropolis and constantly suggest it to others, so I hope they've been buying your books not nicking mine :rotfl:

And please do post suggestions again, it's posts like this that might get my books sold on their ;) yeah they are the ones I get left with that no one else wants - could be a reason in that!!!!

:T

Length of time means owt (but I know what you mean), but the older you are the wiser you are and PLEASE be nice to other money savers

x x x
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This site sounds great.

The British Library post books to other libraries using jiffy bags, if its good enough for their books it should be good enough for everybody else.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • ayla261
    ayla261 Posts: 450 Forumite
    vtmil wrote:
    might look for a job lot on ebay too :o)

if you do, use the advanced search feature, then items listed within however many miles youre willing to travel (i normally select within 25miles) and also select 200 listings per page insted of usual 50, is much quicker to look thru
    This time next year Rodney... :D
  • jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    chelltune wrote:
    The books are listed till they sell or till you remove them, the only fee is the 75p if they sell. If they don't sell it costs you nothing.

The minimum you can list something on ebay for is 10days, this costs you 15p even if it doesn't sell. If it does sell you have your FVF and possibly paypal fees.

Some books are better on eBay but most are better on Green Metropolis IMO.

On eBay you need to photograph your book and add a description, no need to do this on Green Metropolis, just enter the ISBN and the site does the rest.

Don't forget about selling books on Amazon! It is just as easy as Green Metropolis but you can set your own price, as lots of books are worth far more than £3. :)

Lots of useful advice and support on THIS THREAD :)
  • RACHIE77
    RACHIE77 Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    Thanks for this OP! I will defo check this out when buying a book and think it could be time for me to drag all my John Grisham books out of the loft! :rolleyes:

I am a bit gutted cos I just ordered 2 Dan Brown books off ebay, and whilst they weren't a great deal more it would have been much better to get them from here!
    :T Thanks again! :T

p.s Anyone else who has a dusty attic full of books or a pile left over from a recent holiday should check out the "Top 5000 of books on our members wish lists" page... This shows you books that people want to buy so if you spot one that you have then add for sale and you may well have a buyer lined up!! :D

see here >>>> http://www.greenmetropolis.com/wanted.asp
    Official DFW Nerd 210 :D
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    ayla261 wrote:
    if you do, use the advanced search feature, then items listed within however many miles youre willing to travel (i normally select within 25miles) and also select 200 listings per page insted of usual 50, is much quicker to look thru
    Thanks, I've spent ages searching ebay and emailed a few sellers ask if its ok to collect books should I win. :j
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport