UPDATED: Air Source Heat Pumps/Air Con - Full Info & Guide, is it cheaper to run than mains gas?

Comments

• bushyh
    bushyh Posts: 53 Forumite
    that's interesting thanks, my heating if on all day is set from 5 to 9pm so similar in overall time to yours. Do you use it for hot water too?

As luck would have I have recently taken a new member of staff into my team whose partner is a qualified installer of asps so I think I shall be putting a bit of business his way. My energy usage appears to be similar to yours (at least on days when the washing machine isn't in constant use!).

Thanks for replying
  • Yes, we do use it for hot water. This is only on for an hour a day so obviously the heating goes off for that hour. We do find that having a tank of hot water right next to our washing machine makes the use of that machine far more ceonomical than trying to use the output from the LPG combi we had last Winter.

Prior to the cold snap we were using about 170kWh per week..
  • bushyh
    interesting I usually have the water on for an hour in the morning before heating, an hour before heating comes on in afternoon (when the heat has been on time clock as opposed to all day - ie milder weather) water has been fine on that basis. I was wondering if I wasn't having it on enough and that is what is mucking things up but from your comments I don't think so. I will be on thecase first thing tomorrow. Enjoy that fire tonight!
  • No, I don't think it's that. We don't use very much hot water because there are just two of us, and a cat. We rcently had our en-suite bathroom re-done and because the choice for us at the time was LPG or an electric shower we went for the electric shower. Many days we don't use the hot water at all..

Fire lit. Can't see it very well because the cat and the wife are lying in front of it..
  • bushyh
    Calorex and the installer are coming Thursday afternoon. Initially said they couldn't make it until the 9th but after pleading my case the relevant secretary sorted it. Upstairs is now a bearable temp. downstairs better but still cool. I left the pump on all night but it drove me mad as I can hear it in my bedroom. Debating now whether I should go back to the time clock (once a day at the moment as cold) or leave on permanently - thinking I don't want the house to warm up too much before they come! Meating reading for yesterday showed 86KW though to be fair I did have a convector heater on for about half the day. Lounge Temp currently 17 heating on since 5am yesterday morning radiators on full!
  • Whoever did the heat loss calculation for your property hasn't done a very good job by the sound of it. Our Ecodan is right outside our en-suite window but it's only just audible inside..
  • bushyh
    to be fair heating problem aside the pump is an audible hum inside but it's one of those things that at nightime once you notice it irritates the hell out of you.
  • We used to hear ours come on at 6:00am in the Summer to heat the water, because we would have had the bedorrm window open. Now we just snuggle down and thank God the heating has come on..
  • Hi all,

Have read all the way through this thread and some things are clearer, whilst others are a little more muddled.

We're in the process of buying a house. We're putting costings together for the energy system. The house we're buying is a mid-1800s Victorian town house of three floors. It's well insulated and has triple glazing throughout. We want to put a combination of an air to water heat pump, solar PV and woodburner into the house. We'd also like a combination of underfloor heating and radiators.

Our aim is to benefit from FITs and RHIs, as well as ridding ourselves of the likes of NPower forever!

I see from this thread that the Ecodan is a very popular choice, and the Mitsubishi too. But I'm curious if anyone has any experience with Nibe or Bosch or any others? I was hoping to find some kind of comparison or review site online, but there doesn't seem to be one.

Any advice gratefully received. Thank you.
  • Ecodan is Mitsubishi Electric ASHP. This is fairly new technology and review sites tend to spring up in areas where they get high page impressions and hence advertising revenues. No such thing as a free lunch, as they say. From my experience I think you should look at Mitsubishi, Sanyo and Daikin..
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback