easyJet compensation - tip

Options
I recently got a flight for two people on easyJet. On Saturday they cancelled my flight for "operational reasons" (I take this to mean that it was probably under-booked).

Whilst they offered me a free amendment to my flight or a full refund, I wanted something more. I checked the T&C and noticed something about the customer "may" being entitled to upto 250 Euro if: -

(a) The cancellation happens within two weeks of the flight - this was 11 days before the flight, and
(b) The only alternative flights are > 4 hours different from the original (in our case, 12 hours apart).

Phoned them up (found non-0871 number on https://www.saynoto0870.com - geographical number and completely skips the queue (which was already > 15 minutes at 9.05 am), after some confusion and denials they agreed I would be entitled to the compensation of 250 Euro. Then I realised that it's for two people - so I ended up with 500 Euro or £315.

This wasn't mentioned anywhere in the flight cancellation email and they never mentioned it on the phone - only when I asked them about it did they admit it, and even then they first said that I wasn't eligible for it.

Bearing in mind that the flight only cost about £125 for the pair of us, easyJet have effectively paid us almost £200 for the privilege of flying out with them. Result!
threadbanner.gif

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    easyJet are cancelling flights because they do not have enough crews to operate them, nothing to do with being under booked.

Just shows that if you don't ask you don't get.

This situation is affecting many peoples' holidays, which is disappointing.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • lily_the_pink
    lily_the_pink Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was contemplating booking easyjet for my holiday next year - but will probably not do so due to all the cancellations. Are there any patterns to the cancellations - ie are any destinations safer from cancelation than others or is it just hit and miss?
  • o_t_e
    o_t_e Posts: 463 Forumite
    Options
    I'm waiting to here if my Prague flight is goiing to be effected later this week - so far that route has been ok. The thing i find galling is that if you go to the website, which is supposed to be the primary source of information about easyjet, there's no mention of cancellations; the 'latest news' section reads like a Pravda piece on the successes of Stalins latest five year plan.

By the way Eysey do you have a link to that part of the terms and conditions?
  • WiseInvestor_2
    Options
    eyesy,

Well done for pushing for your entitlement according to the EU regulations.

It might be worth apologising to all those people who'd hoped to get a cheap flight in the future, when there are no 'low cost' airlines left once the Belgians have put them all out of business.
  • eyesy
    eyesy Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    For what it's worth, £300 odd quid for a rescheduled flight is much more than I expected - not that I'm complaining of course!

It's symptomatic though of no-frills operators in most industries - 10p minute customer services, premium rate lines, long call times etc. etc. are all necessary to give costs as low as possible, especially with such rulings. I suppose at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

When I found out that the flight had been cancelled, I was pretty peeved off because the only other flight they did that day was 12 hours later at 7.30pm, effectively wasting the first day of our holiday. However, now that I've got the money (or at least will have, it apparently takes 5-10 working days to action - why so long? I don't recall being able to tell them I'd pay them in 5-10 working days after ordering online!) I'm more than satisfied with the outcome.
  • o_t_e
    o_t_e Posts: 463 Forumite
    Options
    WiseInvester surely you'd agree that 'low cost' should not mean low standards? While I'm sure eyesy appreciates being able to get some compensation, I'm equally sure he'd prefer to be travelling on the day and time that he planned and paid for. If Easyjet can't hold onto it's staff should eyesy be expected to grimace and bare it?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    eyesy,

Well done for pushing for your entitlement according to the EU regulations.

It might be worth apologising to all those people who'd hoped to get a cheap flight in the future, when there are no 'low cost' airlines left once the Belgians have put them all out of business.

The oil price is probably more likely to do this rather than the EU.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • WiseInvestor_2
    Options
    o_t_e,

Don't get me wrong, I think eyesy did the right thing. I'm just not sure the EU ruling is in the consumer's best interest. Forcing a budget carrier to pay customers to fly with them is hardly a successful business model now is it? Personally I couldn't care less because I never use them, simply because they never seem to go to where I need them to. The big carriers have been paying proper compensation for years, but they're not always operating in the consumer's best interests either - but they suit me.

richardw,

I disagree. Whilst the world is indeed grappling with record oil prices, the oil companies are making $billions in profits. There is only so much pain the world economy can take before governments start getting involved. It is true that there will be casualties along the way but there are solutions available to airlines to soften the blow (eg fuel hedging). Paying a planeload of passengers £300 to change their £100 tickets is, on the other hand, unsustainable.
  • alared
    alared Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    Options
    What was the Easyjet number you used that skipped the queue please?
  • andyinyorkshire
    Options
    You should be able to get the EasyJet number through the https://www.saynoto0870.com search for easyjet using the company name. Under other information click on the Forum link... http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1104504432
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure