Shop Radio License? scammers?

Comments

• just what i was going to say :)

at the end of the day you are charged for the right to air a performance if you like. to listen to it on ur own is one thing, to use it as a motivational tool for your workers, to amuse customers etc is helping a business profits. So why shouldnt you pay for the right? You would pay a TV licence to play a tv in the office right? Thats more acceptable though because you know of it and have become used to it? Also professional artists dont make anywhere near £1 profit per cd! Flip me, they wish they did. In fact those who just sell their CDs after small gigs etc and are not signed... they are the ones to make the most profit per CD.

This is one of my big bug bears, people who dont like to pay for music or the right to use it to benefit themselves.

oh and by the way £1400 sounds a lot.... but thats only £20 per year per person working. Personally i think thats a cheap (and also effective) method of motivating staff!

Like ive already said I HAVE PAID FOR ALL MY MUSIC ALREADY!!! Where i play it should be my option!
    I take it you must work for the PRS if you agree to such methods of squeezing more money out of people!!
    Oh and by the way every member of staff offered to pay this scandalous bill of £1400 between them, but the company have refused to pay it on principle!
    Probably rightly so! Workers dont need music to motivate them, most people have it on at work to break the day up somewhat and listen to local news!
    So whats so wrong with that!
    One of my big bug bears is being ripped off!!
    If my musics paid for, why the hell should i have to pay to listen to it also.
  • This licence isnt new.... it is not our fault if employers are too tight to pay it.

and if its health and safety wearing headphones then ask ur work place to do a health and safety audit to see if its viable. if ur in an office im sure they will say its fine... if ur working with heavy machinery ok perhaps not... but you shouldnt be listening to a radio either if ur doing that...

I sit in a 8 x 8 welding bay for 9 hours a day, the only pleasure i had was listening to a bit of radio.
    Now my company have too banned radios in principle.
    LilMissEmmylou just a suggestion, try putting some sunglasses on and staring at an 80 watt light bulb for nine hours a day.
    WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD!!!
    I used to listen to the John Gaunt show on talk sport and he s totally right, its not called Great Britain anymore its called RUBBISH BRITAIN.
    PRS WHAT A COMPLETE SCAM!!!
  • LilMissEmmylou
    LilMissEmmylou Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    u chose ur job as a welder - i chose not to stare at that light all day and do something different. I dont work for the PRS - and hey if people dont need the music to motivate them then it will be ok not to play it :) but its a fact that music effects people in a motivational way so thats why so many stores and offices use it.

and yes you have purchased your CD for personal use... not to play for your office to listen to. Like somebody said - if ur at a desk... headphones are the way fwd, even if you only use one ear plug so you can hear whats going on around you.
  • u chose ur job as a welder - i chose not to stare at that light all day and do something different. I dont work for the PRS - and hey if people dont need the music to motivate them then it will be ok not to play it :) but its a fact that music effects people in a motivational way so thats why so many stores and offices use it.

and yes you have purchased your CD for personal use... not to play for your office to listen to. Like somebody said - if ur at a desk... headphones are the way fwd, even if you only use one ear plug so you can hear whats going on around you.

Personally i need coffee to motivate me more :rotfl:
    Im a busy working mum, i go to work like most to pay the bills, i used to have the radio on to listen to the news or cds that i have paid for only on at a minimul volume just humming away in the back ground......whats so wrong with that?? ( by the way headphones are not the most practical in my job due to the nature of skill involved )
    People spend a lot of time at work, why not make it a little bit more pleasurable?
    I totally understand why a lot of companys are refusing to pay for this licence and thats down to principle.
    Basically i personally think this PRS licence is a total load of crap, as someone quoted earlier, if you had brought a kitchen, you have paid for it you wouldnt then be charged to use it.... would you!!
    Same principle with music or anything else you have purchased.
    For example, i have music on my mobile as ringer tones, music i have brought on cd, i have PAID for this!
    Do i now need a licence if someone calls me on my mobile whilst im in a shop and someone else over hears it ringing!!!
    This PRS licence really is the most stupid thing ive ever heard off!!!
    Just another PC way of scamming money out of normal working class people.:T
  • u chose ur job as a welder - i chose not to stare at that light all day and do something different. I dont work for the PRS - and hey if people dont need the music to motivate them then it will be ok not to play it :) but its a fact that music effects people in a motivational way so thats why so many stores and offices use it.

Couldnt have said it better myself "charliejasmin" you are oviously on the same planet as me and the majority!!!
    Yes i did chose my job as a welder, after years of training, i would much prefer to hug a tree all day but hey ho this pays my mortage, bills, puts food in my childrens mouths and pays for lots of disposable nappys!
    The work place doesnt need to have to be like a morgue its quite harmless to have a bit of background music and to have to pay for music you have already purchased is just crazy!!!
    As for the radio, most people only get the chance to listen to this while commuting to work or at work and oh yes its A PUBLIC BROADCAST!!!!
    What on earth will we have to pay for next ...... fresh air!!!
  • We have been targeted by this organisation recently. They rang and spoke to an employee of mine and she told them we don't use a radio or play music on the premises.

Letter arrived today warning us about playing music on premises and that includes if I listen to a radio, myself in my office on my own! :mad:

Now I hear that you can't even listen to an MP3 player on a business premise! Unbelieveable!

The final cheek of the Performing Rights Society (in this letter) was to tell me I had to call or email them to inform them that I don't actually play a radio on the premises!! Or they will keep harrassing me.:rolleyes:

Why can't small businesses be left alone without being harrassed by scammers demanding money off them right left and centre??
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    not a lot of people realise that you have to pay this licence if you have 'on hold' music on the telephone
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • not a lot of people realise that you have to pay this licence if you have 'on hold' music on the telephone

I didn't know that. Although I hate music when I've been put on hold anyway - it just winds me up!
  • Like ive already said I HAVE PAID FOR ALL MY MUSIC ALREADY!!! Where i play it should be my option!

:beer:

I agree with you.

Has anyone else heard that it's ok to listen to Radio 4 in the workplace without a license?
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    :beer:

I agree with you.

Has anyone else heard that it's ok to listen to Radio 4 in the workplace without a license?
    I have heard that music which is over a certain age is exempt - so possibly true.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport