Shop Radio License? scammers?

I have received post and phone calls with regards to a business license to have the radio playing in my shop. Is this a scam? Or just simply another Tax??

Thanks,

Is there a way around this? Playing CD's internet radios etc etc?
Help me to help you :santa2:

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    you may/do need a public performers licence in certain situations

http://www.ppluk.com/

chek the link,do i need a licence
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554
    Photogenic
    Forumite
    No you need a licence from the performing rights society for all these things + a PPL licence as well so it's dearer, Do you sell things in your shop or just give them away? Do you think the musicians and songwriters work for nothing. If it's one small radio or TV its's under £60 per annum. If you don't pay it
    dontprslicence.gif

PRS will take all reasonable steps to ensure those playing copyright music in public are made aware of the need for a licence.
    We have representatives in and around the UK who visit public premises to assess potential licensing requirements and we regularly contact businesses to help ensure they are not infringing copyright.
    Failure to obtain a licence for the use of music in public may result in civil action against you for copyright infringement and you may be liable to pay damages and costs.
    A PRS licence is required for playing music under the terms of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988.

http://www.mcps-prs-alliance.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • Under UK copyright law (the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988) licences are required if music is to be played in public. The Performing Rights Society (PRS) and Phonographic Performances Ltd (PPL) both issue licences to the owner of the premises. The latter will also issue licences to individuals if they are to hold, for example, a disco, dance sessions or aerobics classes.
    What do these organisations do?

The Performing Rights Society (PRS) collects the licence fees and protects the rights of the musical and lyrical composition of the music and the publishers. A licence from PRS will allow you to perform the music publicly on the premises.
    Phonographic Performances Ltd (PPL ) collects the licence fees for the public performance of original sound recordings of the music and protects the interests of the record companies and performers.
    This is how it works
    1. If you wish to play, for example, a radio in your shop or factory or an instrument at an event, then you will probably need a licence from PRS. If you have hired the premises for the event, check with the owner as to whether they have one already.
    2. If you wish to play original CDs or tapes, for example, on a 'music on hold' telephone system, at a disco, for aerobics classes, at a special event or in your shop or factory, then as well as the PRS licence you will probably also need a PPL licence. If the sound recordings or music system are rented, the supplier should provide this licence. If you are employed to play the music then the employer is usually responsible for the licences, but do check.
    3. If you want to alter the music on the CD or tape, then you would need to apply for a licence from the Mechanical Copyright Protection Society (MCPS) too. You may find that the MCPS-PRS Alliance will be able to help you with 1 & 3 at the same time.
    4. For clubs, pubs, and those who wish to play music videos in public, you would need to contact Video Performance Ltd (VPL). The Video Performance Ltd link will also inform you of Music Mall, a division of VPL that sources and supplies music videos to a range of clients.
  • Thanks everyone! Yeap it was £59.36 + VAT just another Tax
  • I had the twits ring up 3 times last week!!

The first guy got the wife and didnt let her get a word in and gave me the phone and i finally got to grips about what he was on about, (we get a lot of idiots ring us with scams etc)

I told him to sling his hook in not so many words.

Got another call from his super, stating id been abusive, (strong in my way, but not effing and blinding to be fair)

When i asked him what address he had with this number (as they claimed to have sent us several letters that we'd ignored) he gave me an address in Hertfordshire over 50 miles away!
  • Hello,

I have a question on this as well if someone could help. We are EPOS support company and PRS have called us saying we need one of their licences. Now our doors are closed to the genernal public and we play BBC Radio2 in reception do we need any other licences for this other than TV licence?

The only people that hear the radio are staff and invited guests.
  • Can anyone confirm if we need a licence to play inside a private building?
  • We were absolutely plagued by these idiots earlier in the year and at first assumed they were the usual scammers.

In the end though it did turn out that they are from an actual organisation - but their methods make them seem like scammers.

In the end I had a right go at the girl ringing me for the third time on the same day and told her to ring maybe once every 3 months rather than on a daily basis.

My business is so small and receiving countless calls is just so time consuming even if they do turn out to be legit.

I think they need to rethink how they contact people as they sound like every other call centre.
  • True. We ignored them for about a year and the cafe around the corner said he ignores them and they go away. lol
  • When I answer the phone (I am a sole trader) , I tell them the boss is not available.

I also tell them I am NOT authorised to make business decisions and all communication should be in writing.

At this point they give up the ghost :D
    baldly going on...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family