The £1,000 emergency fund challenge.

Comments

• patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Abundant1972, you now have your number (#25). Welcome to this 'challenge'.

Had to go into Town today, so took in my bag of loose change (I save 1, 2, 5 & 20p's + £2 coins) and chucked it in the coin deposit machine in NatWest, so that's nearly £20 in today. However, I won't be adding it all to the EF as car Tax is due next month.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Hi Abundant,

Welcome to the group. :wave:
    patman99 wrote: »
    Abundant1972, you now have your number (#25). Welcome to this 'challenge'.

Had to go into Town today, so took in my bag of loose change (I save 1, 2, 5 & 20p's + £2 coins) and chucked it in the coin deposit machine in NatWest, so that's nearly £20 in today. However, I won't be adding it all to the EF as car Tax is due next month.

We've loads of loose change that needs to to be sorted out, do Natwest charge for using this service as I know of a similar machine in our local Asda that charges a percentage of your total for using it, or alternatively you can donate your money to charity?
    YNAB is my new best friend. :)
  • Thanks everyone... It's great to be part of a new challenge!!!

:T
    DFD = August 2027 @ £250/month
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    My life is full of abundance and prosperity
    NST Feb: Food & Spends = £216.51 / £290.00 NSD = 1 /15
    Be kind - Eat well - Exercise - Be mindful
  • DreamerHelen
    DreamerHelen Posts: 2,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Well 3.17% - £31.78 - Done and Dusted!! :D

Sorry I haven't been around much.....Been an insane week for me this past Week!!....But I can relax a little today....which is nice... :)

Welcome to ALL of our New Members....Just remember to keep on saving....even if it's just tiny little bits at a time...it is for me right now....but I know I'll get there!!
  • Eyebright
    Eyebright Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Well 3.17% - £31.78 - Done and Dusted!! :D

Sorry I haven't been around much.....Been an insane week for me this past Week!!....But I can relax a little today....which is nice... :)

Welcome to ALL of our New Members....Just remember to keep on saving....even if it's just tiny little bits at a time...it is for me right now....but I know I'll get there!!

Well done Helen, I had been wondering where you were! Were you up early or late when you posted this?! 3.42 am :eek::eek:
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    1 debt vs 100 days #14 20/1000
    Saving for Christmas 2020 50/500
    EF Saving 285/500
  • Hey you lovely lot,

I still have no emergency fund - wahhhhhhhh!

OH had a speeding fine & a parking ticket this month so that is an extra £130 that we have not budgeted for & also how has it got to this time of year so blooming quickly! I now have no savings for Christmas & don't know what I am gonna do!

Dxxx
  • DreamerHelen
    Morning Eyebright....Hope you are keeping well....

I was up early....I Work during the night most nights....but at least it's working from home so it's not too bad....can't complain really!!

Can't believe I have over £30 in Savings....I know that seems like a silly thing to say but I have been living hand-to-mouth for so long....not having savings....not having anything - That £30 means a HUGE amount to mean and it also means a lot that I haven't spent it!!

Hoping to be able to put a little more in later in the Week....
  • Eyebright
    Eyebright Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Hey you lovely lot,

I still have no emergency fund - wahhhhhhhh!

OH had a speeding fine & a parking ticket this month so that is an extra £130 that we have not budgeted for & also how has it got to this time of year so blooming quickly! I now have no savings for Christmas & don't know what I am gonna do!

Dxxx

I was in this position last year, no money and nothing saved for Christmas. Bunged it all on the CC, spent way too much on people and am still paying it off now :eek::eek::eek: Do you have many people to buy for? Do you have anything you could sell on ebay? Do you swagbuck etc? That can earn you Amazon vouchers...maybe you could make some gifts to help keep costs down. Anything there that might be useful? :o
    Morning Eyebright....Hope you are keeping well....

I was up early....I Work during the night most nights....but at least it's working from home so it's not too bad....can't complain really!!

Can't believe I have over £30 in Savings....I know that seems like a silly thing to say but I have been living hand-to-mouth for so long....not having savings....not having anything - That £30 means a HUGE amount to mean and it also means a lot that I haven't spent it!!

Hoping to be able to put a little more in later in the Week....

I could never work through the night, I'm an early bird through and through. No night owl here! I don't think it's silly to be pleased with your £30. It represents the change in your habits and the foundations you are laying for the future. Definitely something to cheer about and be proud of :T:T:T

Today has been a NSD, which I'm pleased about!
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    1 debt vs 100 days #14 20/1000
    Saving for Christmas 2020 50/500
    EF Saving 285/500
  • DreamerHelen
    Thank you for your lovely words Eyebright.... :) You're right...It IS a sign that things are changing....and the fact that I haven't spent it in the last Week is saying something...usually I just go "Oh well, I've got that extra £30 so I'll spend it"...and I haven't done....at the moment I am only putting in little bits that I can afford....not huge amounts at a time that I know I would have to take back out again....to me, that makes sense :)

LoL I know what you mean about working nights....I've been doing it for so long that I'm just used to it now....It's difficult though...I have to balance it with the other things that I'm doing...especially as I'm going into a new Phase of becoming a Psychotherapist (soooooooo nearly there with my Qualification!!) so I have to do a mixture of home-work, Psychotherapy Voluntary Work, Course-Work and other Paid Work...so my Life is somewhat hectic...but then again, most people's lives are hectic I guess....

Well Done on your NSD today....Keep it going...you are doing BRILLIANTLY hun!! xXx
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Might be getting a rather large Council Tax bill as they never cancelled my CTR when I started back in work, so for the last 3 months I have been paying £24 p/m instead of £116 p/m.

This could be problematic if it were not for the fact that I have been downsizing my overdraft from my account that my wages go into.

Still intend to build up the EF fund though.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback