PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 29th September 2014

Natty68
Natty68 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 2 October 2014 at 9:36PM in Old style MoneySaving
Welcome to the weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

Thank you to Dusty for last weeks thread

Each day has a list of tasks which works on how much time and motivation you have. The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Minging Monday ~ Kitchen and Dining Room
15 minutes...
Clear and wipe kitchen surfaces
Renew washing up sponges/cloths - nothing worse than a pongy sponge!!!
30 minutes to spare...
Sweep and mop floors
Clean the oven & hob
Wipe dining table..put some flowers in a pretty vase on it, or a pretty cloth!!
Got an hour...
Dust any extra furniture in dining area, checking for cobwebs on way round
Wipe and replace all those small appliances.. kettle, toaster etc ..
Choose one small appliance to clean thoroughly..
Clean door fronts and insides & fronts of appliances.. don't forget those kick boards..
Defrost the freezer.. clean it out and make use of those things which need using!
Extra Mission : help yourself
  • Clean the fridge..
  • Wipe down any tiles and shine those taps.. a toothbrush is great for cleaning away the gunk!
  • 33 fling boogie..
  • Phone someone you love just to tell them so!!
  • Empty the bin.. wash it out.. and make it smell SWEET
Tuesday Chuck! ~ Master Bedroom & Landing
15 minutes...
Check fire alarms are working
Remove and wash bed linen and duvet covers
Fling open the window and let in the draughts!
30 minutes to spare...
Make any appointments you have been putting off and catch up on phone calls you need to make!
Vacuum & turn mattress before replacing with fresh linen..
Air the duvet
15 minutes floordrobe clearance
Got an hour...
Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
Clean all jewellry
Wipe down all the paintwork.. and the bed frame
Sort through one cupboard/wardrobe/chest of drawers, fling everything that is dead
Extra tasks list, as usual choose one or more
  • Check clothes - do any need repairing???
  • HHI
  • attack those naughty spider housing estates!!
  • Clean windows in these rooms
  • Sort through the bedding and towels.. are there any that are no longer needed/useable?
  • Go through house with the mantra "Do you need it, do you want it, have you used it" If no, you know what to do - ebay/CS/bin!!!
Wednesday Wobbles ~ Living Room, Hall and Stairs
15 minutes...
Vacuum through the living room, hall and stairs
Cull magazines lying around
30 minutes to spare...
Dusting, even if around everything
Remove clutter making sure stairs especially are safe
Clean windows and all glass.. including the tv screen
Clean front door inside and outside..
Got an hour...
Deflea any pets
Wipe and water plants
Put all your hotspots in one pile and work your way through it..
Vacuum under furniture you can manage to move without hurting yourself
Make some time to bake a cake!!
Extra Mission: Pick one or more of the following tasks –
  • Pair chargers up with phones/DS's/tablets etc...
  • Feed birds outside
  • Sort out handbags and winter coats.. do any need replacing now?
  • Wipe down any paintwork that needs it.
  • Binbag dance.. Get a binbag.. fill it and bin it!!!
  • Wash any cushions, throws or curtains that need it
Thursday Thingummies- those frightening kids rooms and spare rooms
15 minutes...
Clear away anything that isn't in it's place, clothes, toys, books etc
Make an appointment for some ME-time.. hairdressers? manicure? night out with friends? .. whatever just do it!
30 minutes to spare...
Vacuum the floor
Dusting.. all those shelves and flat fluffy surfaces!! Don’t forget the light shade and curtain pole!!!
Strip beds, turn and vacuum mattresses!! and replace with fresh linen .. check if duvets need freshening up too!!
Got an hour...
Clean 2 windows
Sort through a cupboard/chest of drawers and get the clothes out which are no longer wearable, too small or out of season!
Wipe any sticky marks off walls and doors
Extra Task List...
  • Declutter programs you have recorded..
  • Find 5 things to ebay/freecycle
  • Wipe the radiators, skirtings and window & door frames!
  • HHI
  • Clean out pet trays/cages/feeding bowls thoroughly
  • Wash bed/fleeces of pets
  • Mid week fling!! Grab a binbag and fill it with stuff to leave the house.. rubbish or charity shop or to donate to a friend!

Friday fuss ~ Bathroom and Study/Pc Area
15 minutes...
Clean floors in these rooms
30 minutes to spare...
Clean baths, toilets, don't forget the outside! and sinks.. shine the taps with a toothbrush
Clear any clutter from desk
Dust PC and desk and wipe off those cup rings!! Don't forget to polish the printer!
Wipe keyboard, house phone, sockets, switches and mouse etc
Got an hour...
Wash your bathroom mats, nets, clean blind/curtains etc
Wipe down tiles in bathroom.. defragment your pc while doing this.
Drag out the pc desk if you are able and clean under and behind it!
Clean shower screen/curtain if you have one/if required
Collect all the dirty laundry
Extra mission: Take your pick!
  • Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms
  • Arrange any services that need doing on fires/boiler before you put them on!!
  • Do we need the winter bedding out yet?? And the throws and fleeces?
  • Delete 50 unwanted emails!
  • Fill a binbag for charity shop
Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️

Comments

• I'm in - thanks Natty :A

Hugs for everyone (just because you're all fab!)

Night all, sleep well xx
    "There's only one way of life and that's your own" - Levellers

"I'm feeling like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night" - Bon Jovi
  • MinnieMousesMummy
    MinnieMousesMummy Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 September 2014 at 11:11PM
    Thank you for the new list, Please count me in for this week, although I will be working from my own list.

Monday
    Attend lectures
    Look into ucas form
    Look for things that are needed for ds2's bedroom (accessories & mattress)
    Schedule Avon round
    Get rid of 100 emails from inbox
    Look for part that is needed for the washing machine
    Feed animals and check for eggs
    Sort through ds2's room
    Dust ds2's room
    Clean the windows in ds2's room
    Hoover ds2's room
    Attend clients office (1-3)
    Join the £10 challenge and schedule work to meet target
    Do course homework for Tuesday
    Look for a pet care service that could look after animals whilst I'm on holiday
  • Frizzle_2
    Frizzle_2 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    I'm in! After a busy weekend the hous looks like a tip. As usual, lots of work at the beginning of the week so minimal flying until Wednesday!
    Grocery challenge-
    J- 52.40/£200 M- 187.56 A- 212.93 M-193.44 F-201.31 J- 240.62 D- £149.27 N- £210.69 O- 196.80
    S- 213.68 A- £213.03 J- 249.66 J-206.29, M- 252.91, A-£250, M- £250

debt free as of feb 2015. Now saving for deposit for new house! Moving in June 2015!!!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I'm in! I missed from last Weds onwards - I ended up with all 3:eek: boys off school with D & V :(:( The smallest two's school shut for 2 days as over 25% of the students (and a lot of the staff) were affected!! Needless to say, we were fire fighting clearing up and cleaning rather than anything else!

Week's Tasks
    Charity paperwork - spent about 7 hours on this so far....
    PTA & Charity banking
    Expenses - me - charity ones
    Expenses me - 'work' ones - DONE
    Book eyebrows appt for me!
    Write Toots list for house and garden :) - started
    BOOK HIRE CAR FOR OCT HOL
    Deliver big pile of craft stuff to friend
    Sort travel insurance for Oct hol
    Book airport parking for Oct hol
    Ebay &facebook listings - ongoing (have 14 listed at the mo)
    Sort something for DH's bday pressies - have some ideas now, just need to buy them - few bought, need to order a couple more

15 minutes...
    Renew washing up sponges/cloths -
    30 minutes to spare...
    Sweep and mop floors
    Clean the oven & hob
    Wipe dining table.
    Wipe kitchen table
    Got an hour...
    Clean door fronts and insides & fronts of appliances.. don't forget those kick boards..
    Defrost the freezer.. clean it out and make use of those things which need using! - will finish inventory at same time :D

• Clean the fridge..
    • Wipe down any tiles and shine those taps.. a toothbrush is great for cleaning away the gunk!
    • Clean (another) window

Thanks for the lists, Natty :)

Night all x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • ionafan
    ionafan Posts: 4,419 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 October 2014 at 11:12PM
    :T :T :T :T :T The final stars for September have been added :T :T :T :T ;T

bossymoo - look after myself a bit better :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin
    Busy granny - (1) get DH's laptop set up,he's lost the cable - done! (2) shampoo pouffe in lounge :staradmin
    dancemum – (1) stop biting my nails - they're growing - and (2) lose half a stone :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin
    decogecko – to get my house ready and put it on the market :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin
    Dustykitten - (1) get fitter - started pilates; (2) organise DS1's roman blind; (3) financial goal: get all bank accounts and ISAs sorted - more financial paperwork done :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin
    Frizzle – sort all the Christmas pressies out that I have already bought - sorted! - and sort out budgets and lists :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin
    froddington - (1) personal: lose another half stone and (2) flying: clear hallway :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin
    greent – (1) list 20 items on ebay, (2) lose 5lb - lost 3.5 lb so far - and (3) write a list of all people I need to get pressies/ cards for - sorted for Christmas and bdays to January :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin
    Honey Bear - make up a toile for a dressing gown - done :T :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin
    ionafan – (1) re-sort my study cupboards and all my resource materials in the eaves void - done - and (2) plant out all the spring bulbs that I've ordered - my order has still not arrived :( :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin
    just the two of us – (1) clear desk from dining room table to elsewhere, sort and file contents of large plastic box correctly, shred DS old school work - after scanning "to keep" items - done :T; and (2) try a new SW recipe each week - tried 3 so far – and lose 4 more pounds - done :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin
    kezlou - finish decorating the front room
    LameWolf - get through the kitchen refit with my sanity more or less intact - done! :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :T :staradmin
    loopy-loo73 – (1) lose half a stone,
    (2) make conservatory inhabitable again - done and (3) make house safe for dd1 18th birthday party! - done :staradmin :staradmin
    lynnejk - (1) clear out the balcony boxes - cleared out 2 largest boxes and emptied and washed all pots, refill and plant loads of dillydaffs - bulbs and compost bought -and (2) tackle the cane toad of paperwork in the study :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin
    MinnieMousesMummy - (1) do some serious decluttering (2) keep up with course work, which includes passing assessments - keeping up with coursework :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin
    mrs-moneypenny – (1) decluttering - garden part-cleared leaving a row of half massacred conifers :rotfl: and now decluttering indoors - and (2) doing more crafts to use up some of my stash - ongoing! :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :T
    mummyroysof3 – (1) get loft room finished for dd - done and (2) redecorate small bedroom :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin
    Mumof2 – (1) look after myself better (eat proper meals) - not snacking so much between meals, (2) plant the bulbs we got on Saturday and (3) make sure I get out with the dogs every day -getting some exercise every day :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin
    nicki - set up office area- desk set up, waiting for bookcases - and work there, not on the sofa! I'm using the desk, and the back of the sofa as a desk extension :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin
    parsniphead – (1) get sewing room cleared out and set up and (2) the walk-in cupboard in the bedroom needs sorting once and for all - started :staradmin
    pigpen – (1) get the back room rebuilt and (2) sort the girls’ room - beds built, CoD set up and filled, bags of stuff taken to CS and more listed on ebeast :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin
    SOMam – (1) lose at least 4 lbs, (2) get upstairs ready for decorating, (3) overhaul my filing system
    Valli – no chocolate or alcohol except on birthdays :staradmin :staradmin
    YorkshireLass – (1) get ready for the new kitchen - done :T -and (2) do some serious decluttering :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin

Well done, everybody :j
  • ionafan
    ionafan Posts: 4,419 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks to Natty for the new thread and Dusty for last week's.
    Thank you froddy for the lovely hug - much appreciated :)

I have to tidy and clean my house before a friend comes to visit on Wednesday, but I'm out a lot this week (including a day visit to South Wales on Tuesday for a family funeral) so everything will have to be done at double quick speed. It will probably be Wednesday evening before I can award the final stars for the challenges.

I'm not going to offer to continue the challenges in October as we shall be away for a week, but I hope that those of you who have taken part have enjoyed it. There have been some notable achievements!

I shall be phoning my bulb supplier tomorrow and cancelling my order if they haven't already packed it :(

Hope everyone has a good week x
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi Everyone :hello:

Thanks Dusty for last week, Natty for this week and Iona for challenge list

We would like to be counted in again this week please and I'll try to get my list sorted tomorrow.

15 minutes...
    Renew washing up sponges/cloths - nothing worse than a pongy sponge!!!
    30 minutes to spare...
    Sweep and mop floors
    Clean the oven & hob
    Wipe dining table..put some flowers in a pretty vase on it, or a pretty cloth!!
    Got an hour...
    Defrost the freezer.. clean it out and make use of those things which need using!

• Clean the fridge..
    • 33 fling boogie..
    • Phone someone you love just to tell them so!!
    Hope you all have a magnificent Monday
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Sorry haven't posted been slowly plodding away with throwing stuff out.
    Living room finally going to be painted next week, fingers crossed. Only three appointments next week :)

Shudders hate the kitchen, but shouldn't take to long I hope. I actually changed the inside of the oven. Shock horror I know.
    It was minging.

Thanks again for the thread see you all tomorrow!
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,982 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    ty..

on with my knitting.. not much left to do but its looking pretty silly at the moment ;)
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Morning all

Natty thank you for the new thread hope you are ok and Ionafan thank you for the Challenage posts, it has helped me no end and with 2 days to the end of the month I shall be ordering my fabric today and do final financial bits. So pleased I started pilates and and am back to walking.

I'm going to have a slowish start to the week by concentrating on getting the dining room tidy, the paperwork is everywhere and enough is enough. If I do well I'll treat myself to a little time in the garden later in the sunshine.
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport