PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Baking quick questions

Comments

• liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks everyone, i'm going to hunt for alternative colourants today, and check out Tesco. :)
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You can get additive free colourings, although I think they're not so commonly available. You'd definitely be able to pick them up from somewhere like Squires though.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    liney wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to make a cake mix that is 'whiter' so that the cake actually ends up blue?

Thanks...:(

You could try making a vegan cake - the mix is whiter than when making one with eggs. The angel food cake which has been mentioned is an acquired taste - my gran used to make a 'fatless sponge' and it was horrible!

Vegan cake

2 cups SR flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 cup caster sugar

Sift these ingredients together.

In a jug put

1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 cup soya milk (or cow's milk if you're not actually vegan :D)
    1/2 cup orange juice

Whisk these together, then mix into the dry ingredients really well.

You could replace the orange juice with water and add a tablespoon of white vinegar if you wanted (you need something to react with the baking powder to create a rise).
  • Katie_Pink
    Katie_Pink Posts: 58 Forumite
    Hello,

I've had such a baking disaster and am hoping to rescue it before 24 chocolate cup cakes, 24 white choc chip cookies and two rounds of choc chip shortbread go in the bin :-(

As you can probably tell it hasn't been a good day and I really don't want to waste all of this food. The tricky thing is I am pretty low on ingredients and don't have any money to get more.

What can I create to save these things? The main problem with the biscuits/shortbread is that they are very dry and crumbly and not sticking together at all. The shortbread also seems to have got a bit spongy. I think this is because I was using gluten free flour ...

The cupcakes were very sad looking all droopy in the middle and the insides all shrunk away from the paper. Even lashings of butter icing wouldn't have worked!

Any ideas gratefully received as I am so disappointed my efforts will be wasted.

I have 500g of dark choc and 600ml of double cream ... all sorts of sugar some left over choc chips, eggs, flour and milk and I just can't figure out anything I can do with it.

I am really hoping you lovely people can help me :-(
  • cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You could try making a kind of layered trifle. Get a large bowl, line base with cake crumbs, next layer whipped up cream, next layer biscuit crumbs etc.

If you've got any eggs, then you could make a chocolate mousse (separate eggs, whip whites until fluffy, melt chocolate and mix with yolks, fold chocolate mix into fluffy whites). Use this as one of the layers too.

If you've got any brandy, sherry, tia maria or similar, then pour it over the bottom layer of crumbs to make sure they are yummy and moist. Alternatively some very strong coffee would moisten it up.
  • happy35
    happy35 Posts: 1,616 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    you could make cakepops from the fairy cakes and chocolate these are lush

dont know what you could do with the shortbread other than crushing them up and mixing with butter to make a base of a cheesecake or base for millionaire shortbread if you have the ingredients to make a caramel
  • sexymouse
    sexymouse Posts: 6,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 25 June 2011 at 2:37PM
    The last time I had a cake disaster, I crumbled the cake into chunks and put ice-cream on the top (Tesco have lots on offer at the moment)

You could even create a tiramisu if you wanted to with the cakes. Just use the cakes in place of sponge fingers - this will use up the double cream too. If you have any Kahlua or TiaMaria in the house, you could add these too to make it even naughtier.

How about making a cheesecake base with the shortbread? Or you could adapt this recipe for raspberry freezer cake and crumble the shortbread instead of bourbon biscuits. Or smash it up to use as a crumble topping on some stewed fruit.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Angel Baby Poppy born 8/11/15, Rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
    £997.87/£2020
  • Katie_Pink
    Katie_Pink Posts: 58 Forumite
    Thank you so much some of these ideas are so good :-) I know you would all be able to help.

I'm off to attempt to make the most of my disaster :-)
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    i hope the ideas were helpful. As this has dropped down the board ive merged this with baking quick questions

Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• chewynut
    chewynut Posts: 374 Forumite
    Katie_Pink wrote: »
    Hello,

What can I create to save these things? The main problem with the biscuits/shortbread is that they are very dry and crumbly and not sticking together at all. The shortbread also seems to have got a bit spongy. I think this is because I was using gluten free flour ...

I haven't got anything to save your cakes but if you're coeliac, try adding a tiny bit of xanthan gum next time. You only need a tiny bit, I.E., dip the handle of a teaspoon into the packet or a tiny pinch, but it works wonders on gluten free stuff. It binds things together like gluten does.
    'til the end of the line
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport