Replace a sky router

Options
wba31
wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
My parents had a powercut yesterday that has caused their Sky router to no longer work.

They have spoke to Sky who want £80 for a replacement so have contacted their 24/7 tech support (me) to find them a cheaper replacement.

Do they need a "modem router" or just a router? their sky router was plugged into the filter on the phone line

Thanks

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    if your parents are out of contract with sky then get them to ring up and cancel as "they can't afford a new router" and are going to virgin/BT for evrything

magically they will probably send one for free
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A modem is required if its on a phone line.

However, as far as I know Sky hard code the username/password into the router and won't give it to you so you cannot easily put your own in there.
    I think its possible to determine the username/password from a working router but if yours is kaput then that option is not viable.

NOTE: this is anecdotal evidence from a work colleague as I am on VM

Someone will be along soon to correct me if I am wrong but hold off buying that 'modem router' until then.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you tried a factory reset ??
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This page http://help.sky.com/articles/set-up-your-sky-hub implies that the Sky Hub plugs directly into the mains via a mains lead.

Have you checked that the fuse in the plug of the mains lead hasn't blown (which might have happened if the mains socket was left switched on when the power was restored)?
  • wba31
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    if your parents are out of contract with sky then get them to ring up and cancel as "they can't afford a new router" and are going to virgin/BT for evrything

I have suggested this, but they seem to think they signed up to an extended broadband deal for sky sports 5...

The other thing i have suggested is upgrading to fibre as a new router is needed for that
  • wba31
    Options
    Ant555 wrote: »
    A modem is required if its on a phone line.

However, as far as I know Sky hard code the username/password into the router and won't give it to you so you cannot easily put your own in there.
    I think its possible to determine the username/password from a working router but if yours is kaput then that option is not viable.

NOTE: this is anecdotal evidence from a work colleague as I am on VM

Someone will be along soon to correct me if I am wrong but hold off buying that 'modem router' until then.

sky apparently suggested to my parents that they could buy an alternative router if they did not wish to pay Sky
  • wba31
    Options
    Chino wrote: »
    This page http://help.sky.com/articles/set-up-your-sky-hub implies that the Sky Hub plugs directly into the mains via a mains lead.

Have you checked that the fuse in the plug of the mains lead hasn't blown (which might have happened if the mains socket was left switched on when the power was restored)?

They have looked at that and it's a moulded plug so no way in
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Any old Modem/Router will do. There is nothing special about the SKY Router. SKY Technical team will give you the details needed to enter within your new Router in order to get you up and running.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 23 October 2014 at 10:38PM
    Options
    EBay, you'll pick one up for a fiver.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Big_Graeme
    Big_Graeme Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »

Try this first, call their bluff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family