MoneySaving Poll: How old were you when you bought your first home or have you never?

Comments

• Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Bought first house when I was in the 20's,

Bought second house when I was in the 30's..

Will I own 3 houses when I am in my 40's? Probably not..

On a positive... Our latest house sold for £155,000 in 2006. We paid £124,000 in 2014....

A 2 bedroom across the road sold for the same amount, ours has 4 bedrooms with study or 5 bedrooms - no study, semi detatched, dorma bungalow with a 7x3m detatched garage...

Practically given away by a couple whom were divorcing...
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,851
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I bought this house for Mrs MbW and I in 2001 for £61,500 and is now worth almost double that.
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    Bought mine 12 years ago at 26 years old for £85000 with a £35000 deposit. Now worth about £150000, and mortgage is shrinking nicely. Hoping to pay it off in 7-8 years.
    Zebras rock
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    20 yrs old with 20 k mort cannot recall payments now as nearly 34 years ago
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    So far the poll is dispelling the myth that the young are unable to get on the housing market, seeing as the majority of teens have already purchased a property
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I bought in my 20s but was helped by my folks.

I'd love to think I could do that for my lads, but all I'll be able to do is help them with Knowledge.
  • rinabean
    rinabean Posts: 359
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    flea72 wrote: »
    So far the poll is dispelling the myth that the young are unable to get on the housing market, seeing as the majority of teens have already purchased a property

Not at all. This site will attract specific types of people, people interested in money, saving money and making investments. It's a surprising figure but not many teens are on this site in the first place, let alone responding to polls.

I bought my first house last year aged 25. I'm annoyed to have missed the Help to buy ISA.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,392
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Aged 21, OH was 25, we bought a flat stupidly, paying £3,500.

Two years of hell later, we moved further our and bought a detached house for the same price. Couldn't afford the extra £350 for central heating, though.

Moved for a good school in 1987, paying over the odds for a run-down, but large bungalow. Lots more building in the town since, so it will be too big for any downsizers, while families now have more choice of house.

It's fine, though. We could walk to everything important when we are unable to drive.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • spanielson
    spanielson Posts: 20 Forumite
    I need to not live in London, I could have had a place years ago, struggling to find somewhere inhabitable for under £200k
  • Baalmaiden
    Baalmaiden Posts: 91 Forumite
    We bought our council house in the 90's for £36,000, then moved into our present 3 bed semi in 2000 which cost £59,000. Now worth about £160,000 but we have paid off the mortgage and don't intend to move.
    My mum (now 93) and dad bought their house for £350 in 1954 having knocked the price down from £400! It had an no mod cons - outside tap and chemical toilet. She sold it two years ago for £199,000.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure