PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I myself am thinking of using some butchers pork chops and cooking in mini grill, they are the boneless ones without fat so look like slices of bacon but not sure if its ok.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've just come across this thread which is great as I'm v low on cash right now and my freezer could do with a defrost! I've worked out a meal plan for the week, shouldn't need to buy anything apart from maybe milk and a couple of bananas.

Quick question - I've got some raw mince in the freezer which has gone brown... Should this be okay to defrost and cook or does it sound like it's gone off?

http://chicolockersausage.com/2013/03/07/does-brown-meat-mean-its-bad/

Your mince will be fine.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    I myself am thinking of using some butchers pork chops and cooking in mini grill, they are the boneless ones without fat so look like slices of bacon but not sure if its ok.

I think from your description these are pork loin chops and these are fine for grilling.
    Slimming World at target
  • GreenFairy
    GreenFairy Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did some baking today and gave my new oven a good test drive!

Out:
    Bag of white chocolate chips
    Bag of macadamia nuts
    Bag of plain flour

My YS chicken has been turned into rubber chicken, 3 bananas into banana bread, and a big bag of mixed apples which were getting rather wrinkly is now three jars of stewed apple sauce in the press.
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    I finished a random tub of nesquick I found at the back of the cupboard.

I rapidly remembered why I don't like nesquick, and why I don't usually drink a lot of milk in one go _pale_

Cheaper than colonic irrigation and a New Year detox cleanse I guess...
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • Franalamadingdong
    Options
    Oh celyn! Those pesky OHs. Luckily I'm the only adult in our house. It does mean if I buy something stupid there's no one else to blame though!

So worried, I'm thinking meatloaf thanks! Maybe off to green fairy for cookies afterwards!

Not so new potatoes are now used up! Halved the amount of broccoli that will turn yellow soon. The boy had an ice cream cone - with ice cream in. Will use up the wheats in the morning. Must remember to take out the sausages tonight for tea tomorrow, if I forget we can have Saturday's plan (ended up with spaghetti hoops because the boy felt poorly).

Steak was amazing. Good job we're on bean stew for a few days this week. Lol!
  • Purple_kitten
    Purple_kitten Posts: 3,032 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    4 sausages out.

There may well be a bit of ice cream out later too:rotfl:

We are out tomorrow so no food planning for tomorrow.
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    He buys stuff if he thinks it's cheap - I don't mind if he eats it, but I'm not sure what to do with some of it.

I did work out a while ago though that caramelised biscuit spread makes a great filling for chelsea buns though. I'm down to nine jars now (another one of OH's random bulk purchases) :/
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • Maiden_Mum
    Maiden_Mum Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    One of the bags pf caster sugar I have is in a solid block Fran - so not ok to use?
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Maiden_Mum wrote: »
    One of the bags pf caster sugar I have is in a solid block Fran - so not ok to use?

It won't make you ill. It just means it got moisture in it at some point and might be difficult to measure. I tap the (intact) bag with a rolling pin to start it breaking up and then it becomes easier to separate. If it really got wet and is completely solid you could put it in a large pan with some water and gently melt it to make a stock syrup (liquid sugar) which you can store in glass jars or bottles. Not much use for cakes I'm afraid, but can be used in other cooking.

The last time it happened to me I bottled a load of fruit, to preserve it.

SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure