PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buy Your Freehold - guide discussion

Options

Comments

• GrowfyBruce
    Options
    My landlords have just triggered my right to buy the freehold of my property. I own the lease on one of two flats and there is also a high street shop on the ground floor.

The landlords are selling the freehold to a company that they jointly own and, as far as I can tell, have put an excessive high value on the freehold to discourage me from exercising my right to purchase it.

Is their valuation something I can challenge under law or is this just tough luck on my part?
  • MaryMay
    Options
    I have a question please which is loosely related to this. I own a flat which is in one building with another above and linked by garages to another two the same. They were leasehold when built but the owner went bankrupt over 30 years ago and the (then)flat owners were able to buy the freehold collectively. We do not have a management company - I was not the owner back then btw.
    It now appears that if any of the flats are sold, no-one will be able to get a mortgage as we are not paying into a management fund for say roof repairs. My problem at the moment is that my insurance is due for renewal next month but it seems they should be insured for buildings only collectively and we should pay collectively. None of us want to sell currently but the other problem that needs sorting is us extending the lease which has about 60 years to run even though we all own the freehold, no-one ( a prospective buyer)will get a mortgage as lease is too short. Anyone actually understand what I have said? Does anyone know an insurance company that will insure the buildings for us collectively.I now have a new tenant which is hopw this arose as I looked into selling mine but found this hot potato!
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    MaryMay wrote: »
    I have a question please which is loosely related to this. I own a flat which is in one building with another above and linked by garages to another two the same. They were leasehold when built but the owner went bankrupt over 30 years ago and the (then)flat owners were able to buy the freehold collectively....

The flats will still be leasehold - that won't have changed.

I'd guess that the freehold is owned by a company - and each flat owner (leaseholder) is a director and/or shareholder in the company.

From what you say, it sounds like...
    • everything is set up fine.
    • The problem is that people are not doing what they are legally required to, as well as not doing common sense things. (Perhaps because they are lazy, or they don't understand)

Specifically, it sounds like the freehold company is not arranging freeholder insurance, and is not maintaining the building (which the leases probably say they must).

And the freeholder company has not extended the leases - which is a failure of 'common sense'.

I guess the options open to you include...
    • Find one or more of the leaseholders who are prepared to find out how this stuff works, and get stuck in.
    • Hire a management company to do this stuff for you.
  • GTG
    GTG Posts: 458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Marymay, your solicitor should have explained to you your rights and responsibilities as a leaseholder both orally and in writing. This is even more poignant considering that from what you say the legal structure does not follow the conventional or perhaps better to say the contemporary way of doing things i.e. whereby a service charge is raised from the leaseholders to compensate the freeholders or a management company on their behalf for repairs maintenance and buildings insurance etc.

It all sounds very "wishy washy" to me. Check the documentation you received from your solicitor to find out as eddy suggested whether you are a shareholder in the freehold company. If so it should be accompanied by the memorandum and articles of association which governs the companies remit, its rules for operation, how its directors are elected etc etc etc. Failing that, see what you can find out from the other leaseholders.

BTW, you are correct, only the freeholders jointly can legally cover the buildings for insurance despite some brokers offering insurance to flat owners for buildings cover.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    GTG wrote: »
    BTW, you are correct, only the freeholders jointly can legally cover the buildings for insurance despite some brokers offering insurance to flat owners for buildings cover.

That's not 100% correct.

Most leases will say that the freeholder is responsible for insuring the building. But a few leases say that individual leaseholders are responsible for their own buildings insurance for their individual flats.

MaryMay needs to make sure by checking the lease.
  • GTG
    edited 30 September 2017 at 7:14PM
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »
    That's not 100% correct.

Most leases will say that the freeholder is responsible for insuring the building. But a few leases say that individual leaseholders are responsible for their own buildings insurance for their individual flats.

MaryMay needs to make sure by checking the lease.

If one is the long leaseholder of a flat that states that they are responsible for building insurance then it is highly likely that the majority of solicitors will consider the lease to be defective. If one's prospective purchaser has such a solicitor then you're in for a bit of extra inconvenience and expense when selling.

Whatever the nature of the legal capacity that owns a leasehold flat, e.g. an individual, more than one individual, partnership or company etc. That entity cannot legally insure the buildings as it does not own them. You cannot insure something which you do not own. Especially the shared or common parts of the building. The freeholder can only legally do that.

Just to follow on what I said above, MaryMay can go to the land registry and order a copy of the freehold register title to find out who owns the freehold of her flat. That will also reveal all the other leasehold properties on that freehold title i.e. the other three flats and two garages. Immediately downloadable for £3.
  • Cobbles
    Options
    Hi,

I have a similar questions about buying the freehold but it's a house rather than a flat. I bought my house about 6 years ago and have just discovered now that it's leasehold and not freehold when I paid for the title from the Land Registry site because I'm wanting to sell. It says it's a leasehold for 999 years which started in 1750 and names two people (who are obviously deceased now). How do I go about buying the freehold? Would I automatically get it as it's so long ago? How much would it cost?

Has anyone been in this situation? I'm ringing my solicitors on Monday but they are closed at the weekend and I'm a little anxious about the situation.
  • GTG
    Options
    Cobbles wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a similar questions about buying the freehold but it's a house rather than a flat. I bought my house about 6 years ago and have just discovered now that it's leasehold and not freehold when I paid for the title from the Land Registry site because I'm wanting to sell. It says it's a leasehold for 999 years which started in 1750 and names two people (who are obviously deceased now). How do I go about buying the freehold? Would I automatically get it as it's so long ago? How much would it cost?

Has anyone been in this situation? I'm ringing my solicitors on Monday but they are closed at the weekend and I'm a little anxious about the situation.

There is no reason to be anxious, you have 732 years left on the lease. Long enough for the new owners and many generations of their heirs to not have to be concerned about renewing the lease. The only downside of owning the leasehold estate of a house - and there may be others, I am no expert - is if you want to alter or extend the property you will need permission from the freeholder. Probably not a problem, however, you will need to pay the freeholders surveyors and solicitors costs in order for them to make the decision. That may put some folk off, again as in MaryMay's situation I would have expected your solicitor to have informed you of this before you purchased. Having said that, there may be a clause in your lease which allows extensions and alterations as long as you comply with all statutory requirements e.g. planning and building control permissions, check your lease.

You will probably find all the info you need on the government-funded leasehold advisory website.

It is unlikely that the two people named on the freehold title are the freeholders when the lease was created. The title would have been passed down to their heirs when they died and probably sold on or passed down through the generations of the family. It could have been that they both died intestate - i.e. without Wills - but there would have to be no surviving relatives who knew about the title. You know what they say, where there is a will, there's a relative :)
  • Cobbles
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. That's really helped 😀. I've made internal alterations to the property since I've had it as I wasn't aware I couldn't do that. When I first bought the house I was told I needed to take out indemnity as the Possessory Title Deeds were lost but that the house was mine. It's only today that I've found out it's a leasehold when a potential buyer did a search on the Land Registry site. I know there's a long time left on the lease but it's already put one person off buying.
  • megaginge
    megaginge Posts: 363 Forumite
    Options
    GTG wrote: »
    There is no reason to be anxious, you have 732 years left on the lease. Long enough for the new owners and many generations of their heirs to not have to be concerned about renewing the lease. The only downside of owning the leasehold estate of a house - and there may be others, I am no expert - is if you want to alter or extend the property you will need permission from the freeholder. Probably not a problem, however, you will need to pay the freeholders surveyors and solicitors costs in order for them to make the decision. That may put some folk off, again as in MaryMay's situation I would have expected your solicitor to have informed you of this before you purchased. Having said that, there may be a clause in your lease which allows extensions and alterations as long as you comply with all statutory requirements e.g. planning and building control permissions, check your lease.

You will probably find all the info you need on the government-funded leasehold advisory website.

It is unlikely that the two people named on the freehold title are the freeholders when the lease was created. The title would have been passed down to their heirs when they died and probably sold on or passed down through the generations of the family. It could have been that they both died intestate - i.e. without Wills - but there would have to be no surviving relatives who knew about the title. You know what they say, where there is a will, there's a relative :)

Can the poster not apply for a Vesting order in this circumstance and take control of the freehold in that way?
    Hello There. :beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure