Car parking outside schools

Comments

• My son cannot walk far due to his disabilities. The nearest school was not the most suitable, so he attended a school a bit further away. At one point, I was allowed to park on the staff car park in a disabled space, but because of one selfish parent who decided that he would park there instead, the privilege of using a disabled space was taken away. The parent concerned lived in the next street, and it would have taken maybe 70-80 seconds to walk the distance - far quicker than getting into his car, turinging it round, and driving up the road to the school!

As a result, I had to park at the end of the cul-de-sac (not on double yellow lines or blocking anywhere). Unfortunately, so many other parents also parked there that it was almost impossible to get a space. I used to go half an hour early with a travel cup of coffee and my Kindle so that I could get a space near enough for my son.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Sorry about that I hadn't realised that there was a thread already going on this subject. The latest report from the BBC included information about a parent who ran into a teacher who was preventing him from parking in the school car park. The parent was sentenced to 10 months in prison. What an entitled role model he is to his children. If you can't park where you want to you just run someone over.
  • catkins wrote: »
    I live between 2 schools and my road becomes a nightmare in the mornings and afternoons.

It's not just all the extra traffic but the cars parking absolutely anywhere. Also sometimes a car will stop in the middle of the road to let a child out (older children) even though it holds up all the cars behind them.

A couple of years ago a girl got knocked down crossing my road between parked cars to get to one of the schools. She was not hurt but a lot of parents were in uproar that having to cross between parked cars was dangerous.

The council put in a yellow line across 6 properties which is in force 8am to 9am and 3pm to 4pm. So the residents all dutifully move their cars to leave the yellow lines free.

What happens? Yes parents come along and park on the yellow lines to then walk their little darlings to school. So the yellow lines have become parents personal parking spaces.

I have reported it endless times to the two schools and given registration numbers of the repeat offenders. The schools have put up notices, given out notes and asked in their monthly news sheets for parents not to park on the yellow lines but still they do.

I have been on to my local MP and a Councillor both of whom agreed that it is wrong and annoying for the residents. They both got on to the council who said it was not possible for the lines to be enforced!

They employ traffic wardens but I have only ever seen them in the centre of town.

So the council wasted money having the lines painted and then repainted when the road was resurfaced and yet they can't be enforced! What a joke

If the lines can't be enforced, I don't see why the residents should move their cars twice a day then.

A row of stationery cars is probably safer anyway.
  • Kit1
    Kit1 Posts: 422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    Seems to me that it isn't down to the school staff to stop selfish parents from being a danger to others. Bad driving should be dealt with by the traffic police issuing tickets or arresting them. A bad driver is a bad driver the fact that the bad driving is done in proximity to a school shouldn't make any difference they should get treated like any other bad driver who endangers life.

Well said. I work in a school and this is a constant problem for us. Our head has sent out so many letters regarding parking that l have lost count. The last one went out the first week back to school after a child was hit by a car that had parked as close to the zigzag as they could without actually parking on and then reversed into a child which they didn't see and then drove off completely unaware they had done so (the child was able to give a very good description of the car and some of the reg). Luckily they child was not hurt this time.

Has this made a difference - NO. Like others have said this does not apply to them it must be the others. The children know it is wrong but the parents just ignore it, so what does that teach their children - it teaches them to ignore the rules too.
    Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52
  • A school near me has just this week taken to parents standing blocking the road to school due to safety concerns. My daughters previous school contacted the community police to stand outside. They spoke to inconsiderate drivers but they can't be there every day.
    Some people will be inconsiderate no matter what! Laziness has a big part to play!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,581 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A school near me has just this week taken to parents standing blocking the road to school due to safety concerns. My daughters previous school contacted the community police to stand outside. They spoke to inconsiderate drivers but they can't be there every day.
    Some people will be inconsiderate no matter what! Laziness has a big part to play!

Exactly. Unfortunately our police forces are so stretched at the moment that, however dangerous and irritating this irresponsible parking is, it cant be high priority.

I think many parents would like schools to resemble a drive-in McDonalds where they could just drop off and collect their child without even getting out of the car.

Schools round here have largely given up on trying to police it themselves. They keep the school gates locked so parents can't drive onto the site. They've planted trees or put bollards up to stop parents pulling up onto grass verges.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Kit1 wrote: »
    Well said. I work in a school and this is a constant problem for us. Our head has sent out so many letters regarding parking that l have lost count. The last one went out the first week back to school after a child was hit by a car that had parked as close to the zigzag as they could without actually parking on and then reversed into a child which they didn't see and then drove off completely unaware they had done so (the child was able to give a very good description of the car and some of the reg). Luckily they child was not hurt this time.

Has this made a difference - NO. Like others have said this does not apply to them it must be the others. The children know it is wrong but the parents just ignore it, so what does that teach their children - it teaches them to ignore the rules too.

Or they were aware- hit and run, hope they were reported to the Police.
  • Hi
    At my daughters primary school they'd regularly have police officers outside & people would behave then but as soon as no police officer in sight they'd be back to parking on double yellow lines etc.
    I once had a word with a police officer asking why didn't an officer in plain clothes come round & ticket everyone they caught parking illegally but I was told they had to be in uniform to issue a ticket.
    Personally I think it's time rules like this were reviewed.

Jen
  • Kit1
    Kit1 Posts: 422 Forumite
    cjdavies wrote: »
    Or they were aware- hit and run, hope they were reported to the Police.

Yes it was reported to the police.
    Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family