FAQ's & Useful Links

Fran
Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 19 October 2021 at 5:11PM in Water bills
Ofwat Water regulator, England & Wales

Consumer Council for Water Representing water customers in England & Wales

DEFRA Responsible for all aspects of water in England

Drinking Water Inspectorate "Guardians of drinking water quality".

Water Industry Commission for Scotland

SEERAD Scottish Executive Environment & Rural Affairs Department

Northern Ireland Water
Torgwen.......... :) ...........

Comments

• ANDENA
    ANDENA Posts: 120 Forumite
    I thought that water companies have to fix pipes leaking as soon as possible, well our next door neighbour has had a leak since 18 of march which we thought it was ours as it flooding garden and path to house they told us nothing can be done till tuesday 25 march so all that water is wasted, we also found out that our neighbour is on water meter which he did not know as he bought house last year surely that should of been on estate agents partiulers,any advice please can we claim for damage on his insurance or water company.
  • ANDENA wrote: »
    I thought that water companies have to fix pipes leaking as soon as possible, well our next door neighbour has had a leak since 18 of march which we thought it was ours as it flooding garden and path to house they told us nothing can be done till tuesday 25 march so all that water is wasted, we also found out that our neighbour is on water meter which he did not know as he bought house last year surely that should of been on estate agents partiulers,any advice please can we claim for damage on his insurance or water company.

If the leak is on your neighbours pipework then you will not be able to claim from the water company as it is not their fault. However, it is worth making a claim from your neighbours insurance
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is just basic advice for all those who have complaints with their water company.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME PHONING YOUR WATER COMPANY UP.

Do all your correspondence with them in writing either by email or letter. This includes asking them for a water meter or the problems you are having with a water meter.

Unfortunately most water companies have very poor customer service and twist what the customer says recording the wrong thing on the computer.

If you put your complaint in writing it makes it easier for you to:
    1. To go to the next step which is one more complaint
    2. Take your complaint to the Consumer Council For Water or if it's a Data Protection issue, the Information Commissioner.

The water company then cannot argue that you said something you didn't say. Also if you put it in writing pointing out you will have no choice to take it futher if they don't resolve the issue, the issue is likely to be resolved.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • I recently had a water meter fitted in my flat after 13 years of rates. when they came to fit the meter outside they found i had had a meter fitted for the whole time but south west water had been charging me at the rates charges. is there any come back on being over charged for all these years?
  • I've added it to my favorite! :)

Thanks for sharing please keep it coming.
  • We have just been told by friends that anyone on a meter with 3+ children under 19 who is receiving tax credits can have their water bills capped. My children are aged 23,19 11 and 7, so for 11 years I could have been paying the capped rate of £582 instead of £1100 pa (South West Water). This information is not readily available to view on their website, it can be found by looking in the sections 'unable to pay' and 'on a meter'. Well we were just managing to pay and were not on a meter as because we had 4 children assumed that metered costs would be huge. We feel really cheated out of our money and feel that this help for those of us really struggling should be publicised properly by the water boards who claim to be helping us.
  • Very informative :)
  • I have a suspected water leak in my front garden between the house and the main water stop, the leak appeared after the water board had fitted new stop cocks in the road a few houses away, now suddenly I have a leak which i suspect was caused by them pressure testing the mains and stop valves

Where do I stand on the costs of the repair?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I have a suspected water leak in my front garden between the house and the main water stop, the leak appeared after the water board had fitted new stop cocks in the road a few houses away, now suddenly I have a leak which i suspect was caused by them pressure testing the mains and stop valves

Where do I stand on the costs of the repair?

Welcome to the forum.

The costs of repair on your land are down to you. However most companies will carry out a one-off repair as a goodwill gesture - provided leak isn't under patios etc.

I suggest you ask them initially if they will carry out this FOC, as your suspicions will be very difficult to prove, and in any case pressure testing wouldn't cause leaks in sound pipes.
  • Cardew wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum.

The costs of repair on your land are down to you. However most companies will carry out a one-off repair as a goodwill gesture - provided leak isn't under patios etc.

I suggest you ask them initially if they will carry out this FOC, as your suspicions will be very difficult to prove, and in any case pressure testing wouldn't cause leaks in sound pipes.

Thanks for the advice, that is my point that if they had not pressure tested there work my pipe would probably not have failed as the property is only 20 years old, luckily the leak appears to be under the front lawn so is easily accessable, so I will see how understanding they are.

thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport