Dental Implants...Cheap???

Comments

• brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Most people would return to the original implantologist. To keep guarantees going most will want you to attend for a check up around once a year, many also stipulate you attend a hygienist regularly but most are happy for that to be your own hygienist.

However if you move at least the original x Rays, implant used, size used, torque setting etc can easily be obtained from original Implantologist and providing a well known brand of implant is used most implantologists should have the kit to replace super structures etc.

The difficulty is this information is usually very difficult or impossible to obtain from abroad.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    what happens with regards to long term care in the UK if you move away from the dental practice where you had implants done, would a new dentist take you on for after care?
    Or if the dentist retires/dies, practice closes etc. I asked that before and didn't get an answer.
  • zagfles
    brook2jack wrote: »
    The difficulty is this information is usually very difficult or impossible to obtain from abroad.
    Really? Don't them forriners keep records, don't they have a postal service, don't they have email?
  • brook2jack
    L.S.D. wrote: »
    I have done a lot of research asking opinions of people who have had the work done & dentists. My own dentist who is not from the UK but is an excellent dentist (one of the best I have used) is from a country where implants are a third of the UK price and agrees that the UK is overpriced. His nurse used to be a UK implant nurse. Nothing I have found contradicts the fact that dentists, especially implant dentist are charging an awful lot in the UK. Translation. 'ripping us off in the UK'. or 'Rip off Britain'
    Not a trite sound byte but an expression that increases in fact the more research you do.

The cost of the various bits of an implant around £700 add on the cost of consumables £900 ish. The cost of training as an implantologist and equipping a surgery £250,000 ish , more if eg ct scanner bought (circa £80,000) .
    For one implant to be placed around four to five visits. Cost of running a surgery set up for implants upwards of £200 an hour .

You may be able to save by buying into a cheaper implant system but read above for caveats.

It is extremely expensive to provide any medical care in Britain. To buy equipment and materials costs a fortune (dental inflation runs at over 10% a year) , the costs associated with being a dentist are far higher than anywhere else in Europe and rising (our registration fees increased by around 75% this year alone) and dental incomes are falling (20% in the last financial year reported , they have fallen every year since 2006).

To compare prices in Britain, Germany , France, Scandinavia etc with prices in Hungary, Spain, Portugal is comparing apples and oranges. In Spain and Portugal dental nurses , dental technicians don't even have to be trained, let alone registered ,insured,inspected and have to do continuing education every year. There are no CQC inspections, etc etc etc.
  • brook2jack
    zagfles wrote: »
    Really? Don't them forriners keep records, don't they have a postal service, don't they have email?

In my experience writing, emailing, has never got a reply from an implant clinic abroad. Often this is because by the time the problem has come to light the clinic has moved . Sometimes they refuse to pass onto the patient the details as they would prefer them to return to the country where the implants were placed, sometimes you just never know why they don't reply.

Hence if someone is tempted by dental tourism for implants get copies of X-rays and precise details of implants used etc before you,leave the clinic.

In comparison where I have dealings with patients who have received regular dental care , or have had to have emergency treatment with a recommended dentist abroad, the dentists will almost always provide x Rays and summaries of treatment provided to help with continuing care.

It may be a difference in outlook , a dentist taking regular care of a patient appreciates that dental care is a lifelong commitment . Most implant "purchases" as dental tourism are seen as a one off transaction will little need for continuing care, which of course is far from the truth.
  • zagfles
    The cost of the various bits of an implant around £700 add on the cost of consumables £900 ish. The cost of training as an implantologist and equipping a surgery £250,000 ish , more if eg ct scanner bought (circa £80,000) .
    For one implant to be placed around four to five visits. Cost of running a surgery set up for implants upwards of £200 an hour .
    But lots of businesses have similar costs - I know someone who runs an indepenant garage and probably spent as much on equipment.
    You may be able to save by buying into a cheaper implant system but read above for caveats.

It is extremely expensive to provide any medical care in Britain. To buy equipment and materials costs a fortune (dental inflation runs at over 10% a year) , the costs associated with being a dentist are far higher than anywhere else in Europe and rising (our registration fees increased by around 75% this year alone) and dental incomes are falling (20% in the last financial year reported , they have fallen every year since 2006).
    Probably partly due to foreign competition, as implied here in 2008: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-507319/British-dental-care-expensive-Europe.html
  • zagfles
    In my experience writing, emailing, has never got a reply from an implant clinic abroad. Often this is because by the time the problem has come to light the clinic has moved . Sometimes they refuse to pass onto the patient the details as they would prefer them to return to the country where the implants were placed, sometimes you just never know why they don't reply.
    You just can't trust these forriners.
    Hence if someone is tempted by dental tourism for implants get copies of X-rays and precise details of implants used etc before you,leave the clinic.
    Good advice.
    In comparison where I have dealings with patients who have received regular dental care , or have had to have emergency treatment with a recommended dentist abroad, the dentists will almost always provide x Rays and summaries of treatment provided to help with continuing care.

It may be a difference in outlook , a dentist taking regular care of a patient appreciates that dental care is a lifelong commitment . Most implant "purchases" as dental tourism are seen as a one off transaction will little need for continuing care, which of course is far from the truth.
    My friend had 2 visits for his implant, and is now just seen by his regular UK dentist. Some other places wanted 4 or 5 visits and charged twice as much. 3 years down the track no problems.
  • AbbieCadabra
    AbbieCadabra Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Most people would return to the original implantologist. To keep guarantees going most will want you to attend for a check up around once a year, many also stipulate you attend a hygienist regularly but most are happy for that to be your own hygienist.

However if you move at least the original x Rays, implant used, size used, torque setting etc can easily be obtained from original Implantologist and providing a well known brand of implant is used most implantologists should have the kit to replace super structures etc.

thanks. this is a move within the UK, so hopefully getting records shouldn't be an issue. i'll ask my dentist for a recommendation for the area we plan to move to, but a 600 mile round trip just won't be practical for future check ups!
  • There is an implant deal that has just been posted on the Quick Grabbit forum. Might be worth a gander
  • brook2jack
    In most cases if you give written consent for your records to be released ie by letter, then most dentists will either give you a written copy of records or email x Rays to new dentist. X Rays are particularly important as they give the base line for the bone holding the implant in.

Discuss with the dentist any conditions of a guarantee there may be on the work.

It's wise to know make , size of implant etc yourself for future reference in case of problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure