PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First Time Buyer Gleeson Homes

Options

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pog2000 wrote: »
    Hi I am new to this forum

My wife and I are in the same boat, originally advised November then Feb, then March, then April and then last week they told us it's gone back again but still to be confirmed. I did notice that the prices advertised have increased. Part of me is wondering if this is a tactical move to make the sale fall through as we have also spent £2k on extras that are apparently non refundable.(or am I being cynical)

Different sales agents have told us different reasons for the delay. To be honest if we were not in this position I would probably have moved on by now. The biggest issue is the fact that they will not commit and when questioned on this make claims that they are powerless and it's down to the sub contractors.

This is my first time buying a new build and it does seem to be very hard work.

I don't know how much you are paying for your new home but this house http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46386093.html is just round the corner and is probably bigger and cheaper.

The ex council houses on the big council estate where this new development is based are likely to be better built and larger than the new homes. They are also likely to be cheaper and not so likely to fall in values as the new homes.
  • Tilly89
    Options
    Hi, We are buying with Gleeson and our house if almost finished. We are booked for final inspection 21 Apr however this might be sooner. From foundations at reservation on 12th Dec it has run to schedule so no bad experience from me.

However, I am aware of 3 houses on the same cul-de-sac who it has not been so straight forward for. They reserved January 2016! Their houses have been fully built from the outside before they even started on ours and are only next door. The buyers and the sales negotiator told us how there was a mistake on the plans, something to do with the utilities from one street to another meant they had to be built?? And because they were built they had to be released for sale. But the buyers are aware they could not move in until the houses around them were done.

Have you seen your plot. If its a similar scenario to this they should have an explanation for you.
  • Pog2000
    Options
    Hi Peter

Did you get anywhere with this week are stuck in limbo too and keep getting broken promises.

John
  • Northerngirl1
    Options
    Any update on this? Particularly interested in the hilltop park development
  • Cakeguts
    edited 30 April 2017 at 12:43PM
    Options
    Any update on this? Particularly interested in the hilltop park development

The ex council houses near to this development are bigger and cheaper than the ones on the new development. In case you are thinking that the new ones will hold their value they won't because they are near to the huge local council estate they are likely to drop in value when they are second hand to less than a nearby council house because of the close proximity of the council housing. The council housing is less likely to drop in value because it isn't new.

So if considering buying on this estate. The new houses are expensive for the area they are in. They may be cheap new houses for the town but they are expensive for that area because you can buy a bigger council house for less. New houses tend to drop in value when they are no longer new. A new house that has been lived in becomes a second hand house and when being sold is compared to the value of any other second hand house. The problem with buying a cheap new house in a not very popular area like this one is that it is likely to drop more in value than a more expensive new house in a better area. This is because fewer people want to live in this area so you have fewer people who are prepared to buy a house unless it is very cheap.

The kind of person that you would be able to sell to would be someone who couldn't afford to live in a better area and so would only buy a house here if it was bigger and cheaper than a local ex council house so the potential for not being able to sell these houses without make a really big loss is huge. If you want to be able to move in the future buy an ex local authority house because that is unlikely to drop in value. I would suggest that you compare the prices of the new houses to those of any ex local authority houses nearby. If the ex local authority houses are cheaper then that is the price that you can expect to get for any new house bought nearby. when it is second hand. No one is going to pay a premium for a second hand house that is next to a really big council estate with a not very good reputation. If they have more money than that required to buy a council house they will buy a house in a much better area.

Only buy on this estate if you can't see that you will ever need to move or if you think you might want to move understand that you are extremely likely to make a loss when you come to sell.
  • Cakeguts
    Options
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47840664.html This ex council house is just round the corner from the Hill Top Park development. You will notice that it is a 3 bed and it is cheaper than a new two bed on Hill Top. Once a two bed on Hill Top becomes lived in it will become an ordinary 2nd hand house. However because it has cost more new than this 3 bed in the same area it will be likely to drop in value to lower than this 3 bed house. The reason for this is that why would anyone pay more for a 2 bed house than they would need to pay for a 3 bed in the same area. So anyone paying around £90k for a new 2 bed house needs to be aware that when they come to sell it they are likely to get less than 80k for it because you can buy a 3 bed for around £80k. This means an immediate reduction in value of a new 2 bed house of more than £10,000. That is for a 2 bed a 3 bed probably costs more new in this development so the reduction in value on one of those will be even more depending on how much more than £80k they cost new. The 4 beds will also lose value because they will be brought down by the other value reductions.

These homes although cheaper than most new builds are expensive for the area they are in because compared to other houses nearby they are much more expensive. All new builds reduce in value when they are no longer new but if it is a popular area where a lot of people want to live they will reduce less in value. Houses built new in an area where people don't want to live have to be sold cheap to attract buyers which is why the council house is advertised at around £80k

So only buy in this area if you can afford to lose £10,000 or more on the value of your home as soon as you move in.
  • Leo2020
    Leo2020 Posts: 910 Forumite
    Options
    @Cakecuts. I mentioned this problem on a local forum that I also use. I live in an ex-council house and Gleeson are building new houses round the corner. There is also another development not too far away.

I have seen many signs in windows saying that that particular house had been bought via Help to Buy. I think this will be storing up problems for the future. With Help to Buy you have to pay back what you borrowed or more if the house goes up in value. But the equity loan does not go down if the house value does. I can see many people, perhaps when some of these people start having children thinking they need a bigger house (even the biggest 3 bed on the estate is tiny especially compared to my house and my house would sell for 30k less).

I think many people will be stuck because they can't afford to pay the equity loan back. But when I mentioned this on my local forum I was told I was wrong because house prices go up not down.

If someone could buy my 3 bed second hand home which is larger with a large garden, large garage and parking for 2 cars for around 100k or a second hand new build with a tiny garden, parking for one car, small garage and rooms you can't fit sensibly sized furniture in for £130k+ what would most people pick?

It can't even be argued that you can avoid social housing on a new estate. Not that I see it has a problem but of course some people do. Many of the houses on my road have been bought with a few council left. The new build estate will be mainly private but they have to provide a number of shared equity and social housing. So not much different from my street.
  • sparky130a
    sparky130a Posts: 660 Forumite
    Options
    Leo2020 wrote: »

I think many people will be stuck because they can't afford to pay the equity loan back. But when I mentioned this on my local forum I was told I was wrong because house prices go up not down.

I assume the same numpty also says that interest rates will never rise again.

Or inflation.

And what Saturdays numbers are...
  • Cakeguts
    Options
    Leo2020 wrote: »
    @Cakecuts. I mentioned this problem on a local forum that I also use. I live in an ex-council house and Gleeson are building new houses round the corner. There is also another development not too far away.

I have seen many signs in windows saying that that particular house had been bought via Help to Buy. I think this will be storing up problems for the future. With Help to Buy you have to pay back what you borrowed or more if the house goes up in value. But the equity loan does not go down if the house value does. I can see many people, perhaps when some of these people start having children thinking they need a bigger house (even the biggest 3 bed on the estate is tiny especially compared to my house and my house would sell for 30k less).

If someone could buy my 3 bed second hand home which is larger with a large garden, large garage and parking for 2 cars for around 100k or a second hand new build with a tiny garden, parking for one car, small garage and rooms you can't fit sensibly sized furniture in for £130k+ what would most people pick?

It can't even be argued that you can avoid social housing on a new estate. Not that I see it has a problem but of course some people do. Many of the houses on my road have been bought with a few council left. The new build estate will be mainly private but they have to provide a number of shared equity and social housing. So not much different from my street.

I agree with all of this there will be a huge problem in the future with these homes because they are being sold for too much when new. If I had to choose between 2 houses in the Hill Top area and one was an ex council house and one was one of these new builds I would go for the ex council house every time. At least you know what you are paying for and the fact that the value will not drop like it always does with new builds anyway when they become 2nd hand.

I don't know what people on this Hill Top Park estate are going to do when they realise that they have negative equity. I can't see the 2 beds selling for much more than £75k which is the normal price for a 2 bed around there. That means a loss of around £17k. Who can afford to lose £17k? They won't be able to move and that is if house prices are stable.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Putting aside HTB, surely the houses must be valuing up ok for mortgage purposes for those who have the 'normal' 5-10% deposit?

My experience of buying a new build was ' will be ready in December, oh, actually we meant the following June' - I had to rent for 6 months to avoid losing my buyer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure