E.ON and LCS (Debt Recovery)

teffers
teffers Posts: 698 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 11 July 2016 at 2:12PM in Energy
After a suggestion, I'm re-posting this from the Credit file board:

I completed on, and moved into a property on 22.04.16.
Previous owner was with E.ON so took my start reads and and opened an account with E.ON.

After a few days E.ON started sending letters to 'The Occupier' at my new address for an amount owed.

I contacted E.ON and advised I was the new owner and I already had an account. I was advised to ignore the letters. The letters continued and began to threaten DCA etc.

I called them again and they re-affirmed I wasn't responsible for the amount. They then asked if I had a forwarding address, all I had was the solicitor details from the contract. I gave them these and heard nothing back.

Fast forward to Friday and I receive a letter, addressed to me, from LCS (quick research confirms they locate people who don't pay their utility bills), asking me to get in touch urgently.

I call E.ON this morning and they tell me, yes, they've passed the o/s account to LCS but assure me not my name or details. I escalate my complaint at this point as something here is wrong.

Eventually I'm told by E.ON that because I ordered my BT phone line a week before completion (the property was empty with no live line) and this was dated 14.04.16 (supply wasn't connected until the 27th) then the DCA believed I was being dishonest about my move in date.

So my point:

How have LCS (the DCA) managed to legally access MY credit report for a debt that wasn't mine ? and how have they done this without E.ON first providing the details required to obtain that access ?
I realise anyone can see the electoral register but I'm talking full access required to see start dates of accounts etc.

I also feel, and hopefully the E.ON rep can explain this, if E.ON suspected I had lied (remember they didn't know anything about the BT account date at that point) then why not just ask me to provide my completion certificate, rather that passing my details (which would appear they have done) to a Debt Recovery / Person locating service ?

Any light that can be shed would be great as the next step is the Ombudsman as I seem to have exhausted E.ON's complaints process.

Comments

• E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Morning teffers,

I'm sorry that you've not had a very good experience with us :(

To be honest it sounds like you've done the right thing and raised a complaint with us, you do need to follow this process and escalate the complaint accordingly.

If the complaint has been open for more than 8 weeks, you can now go to the ombudsman, the full complaints process are on the website ( I'm sorry I can't post links)

I must say though, we would usually ask for a copy of the paper work if there was a discrepancy with start dates. We could then ensure that we open your account from the correct date.

Did you provide the start meter readings from the date you actually took responsibility for the property?

We do reply on customers informing us when they move in and out and to provide their meter reads as this is how we're able to get the billing accurate.

I'm sorry that I wouldn't be able to take the complaint on in this case as it's gone beyond that.

If you just click on the complaints tab on the website, the info is there.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • teffers
    teffers Posts: 698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi Helena,

Yes, as mentioned, I provided meter readings from my move in / completion date when I set my account up. Readings were taken within 10 minutes of walking through the door.

I would have happily have provided anything E.ON had asked for regarding proof, but they never did.

I can understand if there was suspicion that I was lying about my move in date that E.ON would give LCS a transferred right to access my credit reference, but they couldn't have known about that BT account start date before they'd let LCS access it.

This had been handled terribly in my opinion so I'm just going to go elsewhere for my utilities.

Thanks for the reply.

Tim
    I understand.

I can also see this is so frustrating for you and something has gone wrong here, from what you've said.

I'm sorry that I can't deal with it for you, I really am, but it's gone beyond me.

I can only suggest continuing with your complaint.

Thank you for the reply.

Helena
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • I'm having exactly the same issue. And when I first took over the account all the info was sent to wrong address and I actually was trying to move supplier and it was rejected as they were trying to move my neighbours supply instead. Totally incompetent.
    Nicky7171 wrote: »
    I'm having exactly the same issue. And when I first took over the account all the info was sent to wrong address and I actually was trying to move supplier and it was rejected as they were trying to move my neighbours supply instead. Totally incompetent.

Good morning Nicky7171 and welcome to the forums.

It sounds to me like there was some incorrect meter information before you actually moved in. Especially as the information was sent to the wrong address.

This will be why the change of supplier couldn't go through.

Have you spoken to us again? We can help to get all the correct information on to the account and then you can start to think about changing supplier.

Thank you

Helena
  • Tdote
    Tdote Posts: 1 Newbie
    I am so angry! I keep getting letters through my door from lcs for a bill from my old address.. I was there just less than a year and NEVER received a bill from eon ! Not even a letter saying that is who our supplier was!

I've now got threatening letters saying I owe 600 and something (unsure of top of my head) ...

I am so confused and refuse to contact lcs because we have been out of the property for a year and never received anything when we was there!

I don't know what to do at all :( I have a little boy and worry that I'm going to be taken to court! I can just about afford my bills now without adding some unknown debt:(
    Tdote wrote: »
    I am so angry! I keep getting letters through my door from lcs for a bill from my old address.. I was there just less than a year and NEVER received a bill from eon ! Not even a letter saying that is who our supplier was!

I've now got threatening letters saying I owe 600 and something (unsure of top of my head) ...

I am so confused and refuse to contact lcs because we have been out of the property for a year and never received anything when we was there!

I don't know what to do at all :( I have a little boy and worry that I'm going to be taken to court! I can just about afford my bills now without adding some unknown debt:(

[FONT=&quot]Good morning Tdote and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like we have now been provided with a forwarding address to enable us to send your final bill.

I'll pop a bit of information on about moving in and out of properties, so hope it helps.

When a customer moves in to a property we do re[FONT=&quot]ly[/FONT] on them letting us know that they've moved in so we can set up an account for them, we also ask they provide the meter reads from the date they took responsibility so they only pay for the energy that [FONT=&quot]the[FONT=&quot]y've[/FONT][/FONT] used.

We can then send a welcome letter and the customer can provide regular meter reads to produce accurate bills.

It's the same when you move out, we would need to be informed of this and be provided with your final meter reads and forwarding address. We can then calculate the final bill and send this out.

It appears you didn't know we were the supplier? If that's the case were you paying another supplier? Is it for both the gas and electricity?

Did you contact any suppliers whilst living there? As they should have been able to help with who the supplier is.

I would suggest giving us a ring and letting us have any meter reads from when you moved in and out, as this way we can get the bill as accurate as possible.

You will need to pay for the energy that was used at your old house, but depending on the circumstances we may be able to set up an arrangement to help. However, if you were paying another supplier, we need to arrange to get those payments transfered.

I'm here to help you with any more information.

Thank you

Helena[/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure