Conservatory fitting issue

Options

Comments

• thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Thanks but the whole of the rest of the bungalow is like that, and it has been since 1974. So was my last house, built in 1937. No damp in either.

Ground level will be about 150mm below the bottom brick.

The corner bricks are wet because water has been peeing down over them from unfinished gutters.
    Your house which can be clearly seen from your pictures has brickwork below dpc or at least it does on the left hand side(other side looks painted ) which lines through with the bottom course of your conservatory/porch or at least it is in your pictures .you are talking about rendering the blockwork below dpc on your new build to match your house or am i being stupid
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    .you are talking about rendering the blockwork below dpc on your new build to match your house or am i being stupid
    Yes, because I'm not aware of a difference between using brick or block in this context, and the rest of the bungalow, with the exception of the extension to the left of the porch, is already rendered that way, with a bell cast at the DPC.

Now this might not be 'correct,' but it's the vernacular style around here, usually with a thick band of black paint/tarry stuff at the bottom of the render and not necessarily with any DPC, especially on the houses made of cob.

My 1930s house was done in the same fashion, and again, we never had a damp problem, so it has not occurred to me that it might be problematic. The render will be a very thin coat, just to disguise the fact that it's blocks.
  • leveller2911
    Options
    Don't worry, it wasn't really me who did the pointing; it was a member of my extended family. They know it went a bit paridae-up and have said they'll try acid when next here.

Yes I might have done it slightly better, but I don't know for sure. I've only done stonework and I'm very slow.

I can lay a coarse of bricks under a door,window frame if necessary but thats my limit... Thing is if its not being done for payment and its a favour from family etc then its really not a problem. :)
  • thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    Yes, because I'm not aware of a difference between using brick or block in this context, and the rest of the bungalow, with the exception of the extension to the left of the porch, is already rendered that way, with a bell cast at the DPC.

Now this might not be 'correct,' but it's the vernacular style around here, usually with a thick band of black paint/tarry stuff at the bottom of the render and not necessarily with any DPC, especially on the houses made of cob.

My 1930s house was done in the same fashion, and again, we never had a damp problem, so it has not occurred to me that it might be problematic. The render will be a very thin coat, just to disguise the fact that it's blocks.

So the brickwork below the render on the left of your new building is that not original ? because it looks it to me and a beld bead at dpc level which is the correct way
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • Davesnave
    edited 1 February 2017 at 11:10AM
    Options
    So the brickwork below the render on the left of your new building is that not original ?

Please, can we keep this thread on-topic. Thank you.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    UPDATE: We've had a reply, of sorts, from the MD in which he waffles a great deal and doesn't apologise for the shoddy fitting of the box gutter.

Incidentally, our builder has confirmed that he rang the surveyor to ask about roof modifications to allow proper fixing of the gutter, but he was told, "Don't do anything, just fit a new fascia board."

So there was never any intention to fit it correctly.

The MD has offered to put in noggins between rafters so the whole thing isn't just hanging on a fascia board, but I think our next move will make that suggestion redundant.

He has also offered us a site meeting, which we'll take up in the hope that the people who were lied-to along the way can be present. However, our real intention is to make it plain that the roof angle has to change. So, that'll be a new box gutter, won't it?

As someone pointed-out earlier, hell will freeze over before they agree to do that, but what other options have they? They can stick whatever caveats they want on the drawings and measurements they supply to their customers, but if I read the Consumer Protection Act correctly, in the absence of 'proper' drawings, customers must rely on what they are shown and told,

So....we relied on the crap stuff they sent us, which forms part of the contract, and now they can engage with us about supplying it.

After all, we are reasonable people. :A
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    Noggins sounds like progress. But the box gutter must be fixed adequately back into these noggins. Hence the fixing of the noggins into the rafters is paramount. Equally the noggins must be appropriate sized, graded, and should ideally be treated and treated cut ends.

The problem is are the conservatory folks competent to sort all this out ? Are you confident the work can be done, and inspected, without the box gutter being removed?

My take is you have an impossible situation here. I will re-iterate what I have already said - remove the conservatory roof and box gutter and start again.

You know you are dealing with cowboys. This time round watch them like a hawk!
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Whatever resolution is offered, the roof angle must meet that specified by the self-cleaning glass. Equally, the box gutter must be fitted according to similar specifications.

Any resolution I accepted would also need an independent insurance backed warranty, at no additional cost. Edit... And an independent inspection on completion, before further payment.

If they can't meet that, they can't fit the conservatory, can sling their 'took, take it all away, and repair any remaining damages.

Frankly, I'd personally prefer they boogie off by now, and I'd find a better installer!
  • thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    Please, can we keep this thread on-topic. Thank you.
    Sorry i was trying to get my head round why you would do such a thing your job has gone bad from the planning stage by the looks
  • Davesnave
    edited 2 February 2017 at 6:39AM
    Options
    Sorry i was trying to get my head round why you would do such a thing your job has gone bad from the planning stage by the looks
    I can only reiterate that I have lived in houses rendered from ground level since 1987 and I've never had any issues with damp.

Our part of the job is fine from a structural POV. I will either clean-up the bricks or render the lot, depending on how I feel when the matter in hand is resolved.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure