TalkTalk switch from SKY

I'm out of contract with Sky now £24 a month for basic unlimited BB.

TalkTalk offer £17.70 a month 12 month contract plus £105 cashback from Quidco.

Been happy with sky just want cheaper are talktalk as bad as some people make them out to be?

Comments

• CGG
    CGG Posts: 746 Forumite
    I'm on the same basic BB, unlimited, with Sky and my Contract ends next month. I'm informed that Sky need 31 days notice to end the Contract so am also in a dilemma over who to switch to. The basic BB simply hasn't got the power to run my sons PS4 on and he has moaned incessantly since getting the thing last year. I would upgrade to Sky Fibre Unlimited, but don't know what to do. We used to be with TalkTalk but they were useless and we lost our BB everytime it rained.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Basic at £24 a month seems a stupid amount .
    But what is your definition of basic ?? 2 meg ADSL: ??

You can switch to any provider you want that services your exchange contact them and they do all the work .
    Price them up is your starter .
  • smithers1981
    smithers1981 Posts: 824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Basic as in non fibre up to 17mbs, talktalk seems by far the cheapest, just wary of changing something thats not broken.

Have spoken to Sky best could offer was half price bb £21 and £7 off TV package.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    There is normally a substantial cashback e.g £100+ from cashback sites + Incentive as new customers to be benefited from switching. To me it is very attractive. If we could do switching it every year, you could save more than half that you are currently paying ....

Those who want to switch ISP, how easy it is to switch it ?? What is the problems or hassles of doing this ??

Any personal experience to be shared is very much appreciated ...
  • I have used Sky, TalkTalk and Plusnet and found customer service at Sky and Plusnet to be far superior in that they both do what they say they'll do on the phone, which wasn't the case several times with TalkTalk.

I think the Plusnet fibre deal on MSE is good at £7.49 + line rental for 18 months.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Basic as in non fibre up to 17mbs,
    Fer instance BT fibre 1 up to 52 meg is £20 pm + line rental .

talktalk seems by far the cheapest, just wary of changing something thats not broken.

You will basically be using the same BT OR cable to your home and a different router .

Have spoken to Sky best could offer was half price bb £21 and £7 off TV package.

Multiple posts on here say cancel your service if out of contract and wait for the offers .
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It is broken as your sons not happy. :(

You should get the sky BB down to £2 + LR
  • Saeed
    Saeed Posts: 733 Forumite
    I have been with Sky for the past 3 years. Last year I managed to get FREE line rental and just paid £7.50/month for broadband on a retention deal. This yr they have not offered me anything. I put in a cancellation and did not get any call back, I then phoned them and they refused to deal.

My TV, BB and line rental with Sky are due to be terminated on 9 August. I have signed up with TalkTalk via the MSE link for the £90 voucher and asked for a start date of 10 August.

Should I let the cancellation run with Sky or should I cancel the cancellation. I put that I want my number to be transferred during the order process and want TalkTalk to take over the number as that is a condition of getting the voucher

"Our Voucher offers are exclusive to new customers who order online, switch from BT, Sky or Plus.net and keep their existing landline number."
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    There was a talktalk line already installed at my flat when I moved in so went with them with much misgiving - no cable available in my street.

To my surprise it has been fine. At the last place I had virgin cable, and can honestly say I haven't noticed any difference. Though I'm willing to bet that if I had a problem their customer service would be pants - but so is Sky's.

I did cashback via quidco.
  • Jb005
    Jb005 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm in the same boat, leaving Sky now they're charging £24.

I've been with talk talk twice before. The speed is about the same and reliability only slightly worse (sky has been almost faultless and if it drops out generally fixes itself within a minute). If you ever need to call them though you'll be tearing your hair out trying to get it fixed with any urgency.

I wouldn't rule talk talk out if they had a clear winner of a deal but I think plusnet could be worth it. £50 back plus 115.50 on topcashback. The catch is its for 18 months - free broadband for the entire period but I'm not sure if you can pay the whole line rental for the contract up front. It looks tempting for me though, any thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure