PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - merged

Comments

• First post.

I won a prize on facebook and before they would release it they wanted me to email them a scan of my passport or driving licence proving my name/address and DOB.

The prize was not one that you lot here would call big, it was worth maybe £20 at RRP but it did make me wonder why they wanted the info from me.

Perhaps if there has been a problem with people using false names that this is something that will catch on? It would certainly put an end to any suspicions and also to some extent reassure the prize giver that the winner is a genuine person.
  • stormbreaker
    stormbreaker Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I can't find enough hours in the day to enter the amount of comps on here in my own name , never mind having and AE. Although I admit to having a comp only FB account , where my name is shortened, but this only to differentiate from my normal FB account and not bore my friends and family with my comping!
  • I won a prize on facebook and before they would release it they wanted me to email them a scan of my passport or driving licence proving my name/address and DOB.

I would have refused to do that, personally, as you have no idea who they are or what they will use that scan for.
    I'd also have refused to do it as I don't have either passport or driving licence :rotfl:
  • thingamaBob
    thingamaBob Posts: 21,232 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    One-Eye wrote: »
    I hope MSE'ers aren't using these to enter comps, but it is nothing to do with MSE if we use them on other sites

yes but they could close the comps board down if they feel that MSE compers are giving them a bad name or going against their principles.

Someone did recently create an AE on MSE just to post an accusation of cheating without giving away who they were. Perhaps this is what prompted MSE Andrea's post.
  • jaibaby
    jaibaby Posts: 4,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    First post.

I won a prize on facebook and before they would release it they wanted me to email them a scan of my passport or driving licence proving my name/address and DOB.

The prize was not one that you lot here would call big, it was worth maybe £20 at RRP but it did make me wonder why they wanted the info from me.

Perhaps if there has been a problem with people using false names that this is something that will catch on? It would certainly put an end to any suspicions and also to some extent reassure the prize giver that the winner is a genuine person.

The problem there is (as someone else has said) that people may not have photo ID.

Most of the competitions on Facebook are run wrong - like and share ones are against the rules, are as voting ones. As we know, the voting ones are pretty easy to cheat in. But the companies do not care - as long as they get their free advertisement, then it doesn't matter where the prize goes.

Facebook is full of "witch hunters" - those who feel they need to accuse someone of cheating with no solid proof.

This world of "comping" is not so nice any more :(
    Thanks to all posters :A
  • molly14
    molly14 Posts: 144 Forumite
    Such a shame to read how this forum can be misused. I've been comping for about 4 years now and love the surprise of an unexpected prize coming through the letterbox.

My hubby used to take the Mick at my comping, but it has provided us with some lovely treats we wouldn't normally be able to afford.

I love the little prizes, just as much as the big ones. Currently got a gorgeous bouquet of flowers sat on my dining room table that was a win delivered last week. Saves hubby having to treat me:D
  • epm-84
    epm-84 Posts: 2,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post

Was it something that they'd be breaking the law if they gave to someone under 16/18?

Technically it's illegal for a boy to go in to Boots and buy a razor for shaving with until they are 16, despite the fact that most start growing facial hair when they are 12-14.

For cash prizes it's easy to get around people using fake names - send them a cheque made payable only to the name of the person who entered.
  • epm-84 wrote: »
    Was it something that they'd be breaking the law if they gave to someone under 16/18?

I see what you mean about the age and legalities. The prize I won was some smellies.

I didn't mind sending them a copy, if I hadn't got a passport i'd have offered them a copy of a bill or something with my details on.
  • cod3
    cod3 Posts: 805 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    messia07 wrote: »
    what are AE's?

Exactly what I was wondering. Would have taken seconds to type out the whole words instead of leaving us to guess.
  • I love coming on here and spend a great time looking through the site, not just the competitions and I know there is always gonna be some that do not agree but can we not leave the !!!ching alone.
    I feel sad that the accusations fly about so much I for one love comping and am really greatful when I get a prize its exciting and I would never look at it as a 'job'. There are so many people out for what they can get and I for one would like to see more friendliness and amicability on the forums. The cheats are out there and they always have been but I for one think they should be ignored. Sorry to rant but I am so fed up with the arguing and would hate to see the comping forums closed.:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure