Mobile Phone Insurance - Halifax Ultimate Rewards

Comments

• I have lost my iphone 4 last week i have rang halifax and they sent me some paper work to fill in. I sent it back and dont now what they will do.
    :
  • I am about to make a claim for my Iphone having dropped it in my morning cuppa (don't laugh), and it has subsequently died. But reading the above comments is not filling me with confidence at getting it sorted any time soon!

Thought I would mention though, that the Halifax DO NOT underwrite this insurance. That is why people are calling the helpdesk and being put through to other teams. It is a completely different company, and if I remember rightly (it's changed since I worked on the Ultimate Reward card and I can't remember the name of the insurer) the mobile phone insurance is outsourced as per a business contract - the company operating the insurance are not a Halifax or LBG company. In addition to this the outsourced co may again use a completely different company for all their repairs - which is why you will get a faster service for loss/theft as you have less companies to go through! I know it's rubbish to be passed around but most companies work like this these days rather than diversifying. As an example, Nationwide used to have Churchill as their home insurer.

If you look in your T&Cs then it will tell you specifically that the insurance is not underwritten by Halifax - most of the ones on the UR account aren't.

Meanwhile, I hope I don't have the hassles above with my own claim :(
  • Zobo13
    Zobo13 Posts: 16 Forumite
    I lost my phone at Gatwick airport in September and when i contacted the Halifax they transferred me to the Lifestyle Group. When i explained to them what had happened i was told that i was not entitled to claim because of the following:

where it had been left unattended in a public place or a place to which people, has regular access.

Is this right? I pay £15 per month for my insurance and this is the first time i've ever had to claim.

Any advice would be great?

• Thought I'd give an update to my post above. Was very excited to receive my IPhone back within 2 weeks of sending it to the insurer. Can't fault their speed of service.

This turned to dismay as I have had no end of trouble with the signal to the phone (I know it's not the network only as the SIM works fine in another phone), more often than not the network isn't registering and I get 'Searching', if I have one bar on the signal and try and send a text it immediately fails the text sending. Switching it on and off sometimes pokes it back into life, but normally I have to wait. Then I get beeping and buzzing as if a text/notification is coming through but nothing arrives.

To add insult to injury, despite the fact I can hear callers very clearly, they can't hear me and I've had no end of complaints about crackling and bad signal. Needless to say no problem with the other phone. Guess that's another fiver to send the phone off at my expense...
  • I had my phone stolen 6 weeks ago on my way to Cyprus for a holiday. The claim form was waiting for me when I got home and I sent it off after waiting for proof of purchase from my network.

I was advised that the claim had been accepted and, about a week later received a replacement handset...which was faulty. Had to wait about week for a returns bag to be sent and was advised that the phone would be replaced and a new handset would take up to 8 working days to arrive. Having waited 9 working days I called them last night to find out where the phone was and was told that there was no record on the notes to say that the phone had been returned so I gave the lady my reference number and, surprise surprise, it turns out they had received the phone but no-one had done anything about it! The lady then tried to tell me that I should've called them with my tracking number as soon as I sent it, which contradicts the letter I was sent saying "when we have received the phone we will be in touch to discuss a replacement".

On re-opening the call I was then advised that they had no Blackberry Bold 9700's in stock so I would be given the "cash equivalent" of £180 (which is supposed to be an "average" but takes into account used and refurbished phones so is actually the very lowest end of the scale) and I should buy a replacement phone myself from Amazon. The woman on the other end of the phone was even on Amazon at the time and found a used phone for me (a black one even though I had the white model which are more expensive) from "a reputable seller as they have a 93% positive feedback rate".

I find it quite astonishing that, having paid my £30 excess, they have made me wait 4 weeks for a replacement phone, only to be told there wasn't one on its way and offered a pittance and told to go and buy one myself fromt he internet!! This is supposed to be a so-called "benefit" of paying for an account with Halifax! I have told them I need to think about it and will get back to them but I really don't know what to do! I don't want to accept £180 for the phone (and also, who is the warranty with if I buy a second hand one myself from the internet??) but I also don't want to be put on a waiting list only to wait god knows how long for another refurbished (and potentially broken) phone! In the meantime I have incurred additional costs using my work phone for personal calls/texts, all of which I have to pay for myself, and my SIM was reactivated when I put it in the faulty replacement phone so I am paying line rental for a personal phone that I cannot use and nobody can contact me on.

I've sent an email to their customer relations department but don't expect a response any time soon...

Any ideas what I should do??
  • Hi,

I recently had a bad experience, When stepping out of the car, My samsung galaxy s2 which being so light , just slipped out of my pocket and was bounced on the pavement and was close to falling into sewer on the side of the pavement.

My concern is, if some thing like this happens and the phone falls down the sewer will the phone insurers from bank of scotland cover and replace it?

Thank you
  • Hi,

I'm debating whether to purchase a new handset via Ebay and wondered if this would be covered in the halifax ultimate reward phone insurance policy? What if the handset isn't new, how can i provide proof of purchase and do they require proof of purchase!?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • adamc260
    adamc260 Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    matteh wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm debating whether to purchase a new handset via Ebay and wondered if this would be covered in the halifax ultimate reward phone insurance policy? What if the handset isn't new, how can i provide proof of purchase and do they require proof of purchase!?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You use your ebay invoice as proof of purchase. If the listing states new keep a copy of that for when you submit it.
  • Muzzy25
    Muzzy25 Posts: 7 Forumite
    I have dropped my iphone 3GS 16gb and it no longer works so i am going to phone them for a claim but i bought my phone of a mate cash to hand year and a half ago. How can i provide them with proof of purchase?

Please Help
    Thanks
  • Muzzy25 wrote: »
    I have dropped my iphone 3GS 16gb and it no longer works so i am going to phone them for a claim but i bought my phone of a mate cash to hand year and a half ago. How can i provide them with proof of purchase?

Please Help
    Thanks

I have phoned them up and been informed they don't require proof of purchase if you claiming for and accidental damage pheeeew
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure