Child & Co Bankers ?

Comments

• Marchitiello
    Marchitiello Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    taccy wrote: »
    Interesting. I've been banking with Coutts for 10 years. I opened the account when I took out a mortgage with them so didn't have any bank charges, and also used the Silk charge card enough to have the £350 annual fee waived. The online banking has been great plus the 'Coutts 24' telephone service. Don't really use the Concierge service but do use the travel insurance and airport lounge pass cards. However, my mortgage has ended (sold the property) so now I pay full fees, and from December they're 1) increasing banking fees to £1000 pa (!) and 2) Dropping travel insurance and airport lounge pass.
    Whilst I've had a Private Banker over the 10 years I rarely have cause to speak to them. It's always quicker and more efficient to use Coutts 24 or online.
    I'm wondering about switching to Child & Co (I share the same surname...). Particularly if the online/telephone service part is as good. Not sure what the annual charges are? Or I just pay the £1000 pa to continue with Coutts. It's not that I can't afford the £1k, it's more I don't like paying for things unless there's sufficient reason! Perhaps the kudos of the Coutts debit and chargecards are? Thoughts?

Child & co accounts use RBS standard online site and mobile app. If you qualify for Black Rewards Current account (which carry a monthly fee) then you will get I believe Lounge access but not sure about the travel insurance. If you have enough earning but not enough for private banking, then you will still get a personal banker that you can call at Child.

Consider that a standard Barclays account with the Travel Plus Pack will cost you £186 pa (£15.50pm) and come with Dragon Pass (6 free entry) and family world wide travel insurance.
  • Hi there @taccy

Interesting quandary re. Coutts -v- Child. In case helpful background, whilst I would qualify for Private banking at Childs due to income, I spoke to Coutts to satisfy my curiosity and was promptly dismissed ;) I was then advised, with a whiff of condescention, that I might be better suited to Childs. The point being, one account / bank clearly (at least in the view of Coutts' staff) is not interchangeable for the other....

I agree with all @Marchitello said - in short, you are getting an RBS account, even if you qualify for the "Black Private" account. Having spoken to someone at Childs recently, they then sent me all of their marketing material and accounts information. What's so interesting is that none of the accounts related documentation bears any Childs branding. It's all RBS. The only Childs specific stuff I received was a brochure about its history and about the refurb at Fleet Street. I am, concurrently, speaking to Drummonds and I am awaiting their printed info and will update.

However, as @AlexPF notes below, RBS is currently undergoing some fairly radical changes. This can already be seen on RBS' main website: [sorry, I'm not allowed to paste links yet] where Childs, Drummonds, Holts and Coutts are split out as distinct brands but lumped together as private banking brands. This may indeed be the beginning of a big change that would mean that each of the brands above really does reclaim an individual identity and the odd hybrid pack of info I received will be a thing of the past. However, only time will tell. The other key point to note is that whilst on the main RBS website Childs, Drummonds and Coutts are all listed together, Coutts does have its own banking licence from the UK regulators. That is very valuable and even when a private bank is acquired by a big group, they almost never want to lose the additional licence (Cater Allen is the same).

So, to cut to it, Coutts is still, in the current world, quite distinct from RBS more generally and difficult to 'get in' to. I can't imagine Coutts sending you info about its accounts that are RBS branded?! Maybe Childs will become the same with time. However what is almost guaranteed is that the Coutts brand will remain strong and distinct. As such it's really down to you as to whether the £1k per year (which does seem high) is worth it. However, to get the RBS Black Private Childs account is £28 per month. Still vastly cheaper but not free! Finally, a close friend of mine also banks with Coutts and is relatively unimpressed. But I think that's because she too, like you, is fairly on top of things and so just does her online banking without needing the more bespoke services. However I do tease her that despite that I think she'd be a bit shocked if she didn't have at least the option of speaking to someone helpful, immediately should something go wrong ;)
  • Marchitiello
    Marchitiello Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I think you guys have over expectation for the RBS changes.

The original plans to rebrand the English and Welsh branches to W& Co and float it has been shelved so now it is simply back to try to sell all England and Wales branches with the exceptions of Holts, Child&co and Drummonds. They have still to separate the business as the the fines were going to be imposed by both the EU and UK competition commission (they have unfair competitive advantage vs other U.K. Banks that were not bailed out as well as other European banks), and the management of those branches has been separate for a while and as per my exchange with Paul1977 early in this thread, they have shared the premier/private banking team amongst them for a while, as well as the top Private Bankers at the Drummonds branch are also shared with Coutts.

RBS are simply trying to keep those branches with strong identies and brand south of the boarder and have done so for as along as they have owned these brands (Coutts was part of NatWest before being acquired and have also been kept as a separate business before RBS). You may know that RBS has sold off the actual building where Drummonds and Child & Co are loacated, leasing back the lower floors only. There are plans to transform the upper building of Drummonds in luxury appartments...
  • AlexPF
    AlexPF Posts: 31 Forumite
    Seems like we are starting to see some of the changes to RBS brands already.

image2.JPG.rendition.580.326.png

I like this new design! Holt's is following a similar path to Childs.

Hopefully they will strip the RBS logo from the Drummonds debit card as well, not a fan.
    I really appreciate that the "accessible" design is by default now.
  • Interesting that on this page: http://www.rbs.com/our-brands/child-co.html, they say that Child & Co has 6,000 "personal customers", plus 1,800 "private customers".

I wonder how many of the 6,000 are MSE'ers... ;)
  • Interesting that on this page: http://www.rbs.com/our-brands/child-co.html, they say that Child & Co has 6,000 "personal customers", plus 1,800 "private customers".

I wonder how many of the 6,000 are MSE'ers... ;)

Well I'm 1 of them. :)
  • starM
    starM Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    How can I open up a Child & co personal account?

Thinking to apply for one.
  • Paul_1977
    Paul_1977 Posts: 992 Forumite
    starM wrote: »
    How can I open up a Child & co personal account?

Thinking to apply for one.

Go to the RBS site, apple for a normal current account, near the end of the application, you will be asked to select a branch. At this point select Fleet Street.

Depending on an internal RBS score, you may be given a Child branded debit card. If not, it will be a normal RBS one.
  • Paul_1977
    Paul_1977 Posts: 992 Forumite
    AlexPF wrote: »
    Seems like we are starting to see some of the changes to RBS brands already.

image2.JPG.rendition.580.326.png

I like this new design! Holt's is following a similar path to Childs.

Hopefully they will strip the RBS logo from the Drummonds debit card as well, not a fan.
    I really appreciate that the "accessible" design is by default now.

Very nice, what is that circle bit on the edge?
  • AlexPF
    AlexPF Posts: 31 Forumite
    It's to insert the card from the right side, useful if your eyesight is not the best (or, I'd say, if you are drunk on a night out :D )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure