Keeping up appearances.......

Options

Comments

• Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've been reading PinotGrigio's diary after she posted on here a few weeks ago and the thing that comes through is the almost relentless inevitability of bad financial news when debt-busting if a diary is read in one hit like a novel.

I'm so sorry about the harmonisation of expenses hit, Happy; in the grand scheme of things the monthly sum doesn't sound like a lot to most people but when things are finely balanced - it is as I know from my experience a few years ago - it is. The news coming on top of a bad night's sleep would be enough to upset anyone's equilibrium. Thank goodness you've got the holiday well in your sights now and if you're anything like me (probably not) the suitcase is already dusted off and gaping open, ready to receive the bikinis and suncream. So, if you can keep :D:D:D smiling like a loon until then, that should see you through.

Are we going to get photos of Mr Happy in his mankini when you return, or will that have to wait until the next holiday?
    Better is good enough.
  • Honey_Bear
    edited 21 May 2015 at 9:52AM
    Options
    1. Left Kelpie on his own again for a few hours. I don't think he barked when he realised I wasn't taking him and I stayed away longer than I intended (three and a half hours again) and he was fine when I got back. I'm going to give him a k0ng with chicken pieces in to distract him when I go today, I think. I don't want to tempt fate by taking his excellent behaviour for granted.
    2. He's insured. I'm very pleased with the cover I got and although it's not cheap I think it's money well spent. I know exactly what the other dogs have cost me in vets fees so I've got a yardstick which is helpful. Thanks for naggine me; because I did what I was told by you guys I got another free month so 13 months dog insurance in the first year for the price of 11; it all helps.
    3. I think it is my thighs that are shrinking, which is no bad thing. I don't know why that hadn't occurred to me!
    4. I've found Spider Solitaire on my laptop which is a complete disaster. The light didn't go out until 11.40 because of of that but I will be more disciplined about it tonight. I've also realised that the reason I occasionally wake up with a headache is probably low blood sugar due to eating earlier and going for longer without food overnight while OH is away. Late night snack being planned.
    5. The final patches of carpet need to be washed today; I couldn't quite cram all of the furniture onto the washed 'half' which was irritating and there were a couple of spots that needed extra attention. The plumber's been and fixed the kitchen sink so I can also get cracking on the kitchen which is mercifully small but rather densly packed.
    If you don't have an aversion to very, very rude words, I was told a story yesterday that had me roaring with laughter and makes me smile whenever I think about it. I posted it on the Flylady Thread, post number 110.
    Better is good enough.
  • Dolphin1
    Dolphin1 Posts: 855 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    1. Left Kelpie on his own again for a few hours. I don't think he barked when he realised I wasn't taking him and I stayed away longer than I intended (three and a half hours again) and he was fine when I got back. I'm going to give him a k0ng with chicken pieces in to distract him when I go today, I think. I don't want to tempt fate by taking his excellent behaviour for granted.
    2. He's insured. I'm very pleased with the cover I got and although it's not cheap I think it's money well spent. I know exactly what the other dogs have cost me in vets fees so I've got a yardstick which is helpful. Thanks for naggine me; because I did what I was told by you guys I got another free month so 13 months dog insurance in the first year for the price of 11; it all helps.

Yay :T!

3. I think it is my thighs that are shrinking, which is no bad thing. I don't know why that hadn't occurred to me!
    4. I've found Spider Solitaire on my laptop which is a complete disaster. The light didn't go out until 11.40 because of of that but I will be more disciplined about it tonight. I've also realised that the reason I occasionally wake up with a headache is probably low blood sugar due to eating earlier and going for longer without food overnight while OH is away. Late night snack being planned.
    5. The final patches of carpet need to be washed today; I couldn't quite cram all of the furniture onto the washed 'half' which was irritating and there were a couple of spots that needed extra attention. The plumber's been and fixed the kitchen sink so I can also get cracking on the kitchen which is mercifully small but rather densly packed.
    If you don't have an aversion to very, very rude words, I was told a story yesterday that had me roaring with laughter and makes me smile whenever I think about it. I posted it on the Flylady Thread, post number 110.

Brilliant :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:!

I must say, you are having a very productive week :T.
  • Dolphin1
    Options
    Day 16...

1) No chocolate or sweets but I had 2 biscuits, must be careful this doesn't become a habit.
    2) No cake.
    3) Light off at almost midnight again, I was reading a book and wanted to finish it.
    4) Meal plan for the week already done.
    5) No spends on other people.
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How is it Thursday already? And yet it hasn't felt like a quick week - Real Life has been too eventful and has had me up at 6am every morning, plus there has been a great deal of to-ing and fro-ing and here we are almost at the weekend and I still haven't come up with any plans for better living. I think I will carve out some time during half-term next week so I can start with you all in June...does June have a motivational name yet?
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£345.00 (69%)    INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£070.00 (15%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• Honey_Bear
    Options
    I can't move so I'm posting an extra update. I gave Kelpie a k0ng with chicken in it when I went over to the chalet this afternoon and decided that I might just as well put some chicken and rice in both of them, one for a treat and one for tomorrow. It worries me that I might get into the habit of only giving him the k0ng when I'm going out, so I thought he must be allowed to have one for a treat sometimes when I'm at home and he's on such a restricted diet that he doesn't actually get treats at the moment, so I had an excuse.

He followed me upstairs, carrying the thing, and got into his basket to work on it not realising I was just putting washing away in the bedroom and was about to go straight back downstairs. He was so frustrated by it he was whining while he was working on it but that's all to the good as far as I'm concerned. It means he really, really wants what in there and he's concentrating on it. So, rather than go downstairs because I knew he'd follow me I gathered up some paperwork to take into my office and by the time I'd put it all in my in tray - Kelpie had climbed into the crate, settled down and was working on the k)ong. I can't leave, obviously, I want him to stay in it for as long as he feels comfortable which means I could be here for some time. Hence the post. :T Kelpie! :j

If he stays in there for 21 minutes that counts as today's Kelpie session, I think.
    Better is good enough.
  • Dolphin1
    Options
    Day 17...

1) No chocolate, sweets or biscuits. :j
    2) No cake. :j
    3) Light off at 11, I could not keep my eyes open any longer anyway. :j
    4) Meal plan for the week already done. :j
    5) No spends on other people. :j

If only I did as well every day! :)
  • HappyNow
    HappyNow Posts: 1,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dolphin - well done, you are top of the class!
    Honey - Go Kelpie! What a hero - did he stay in for a while?
    As for suitcases, I have saved £50 by going
    hand-luggage only. I have no idea what we will be
    able to squeeze in, but I'm reasonably sure there
    will be no room for either mankini or bikini! The world
    just isn't ready!
    Joey - June is still looking for a motivational name I think.
    Suggestions very welcome :)

I haven't been able to get on here for the last couple of days and I've only sneaked on now for a couple of minutes while Mr H is in the shower. Can't stop but I will be back asap x
    LBM Dec 2011. Aimed, but failed, to clear all unsecured debt by Feb 2019. Finally free of unsecured debt 21st May 21!

Debt Dec 11: Unsecured £69,579 + Mortgage £59,948 = £129,527
    Debt May 21: Unsecured ZERO! ZILCH! Mortgage £22,332
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does Mr Happy still not know about your diary?
  • Dolphin1
    Options
    Day 18...

1) No chocolate, sweets or biscuits.
    2) No cake.
    3) Light off at 11.20 which is fine for a Friday.
    4) Must start on next weeks meal plan.
    5) Failed! :o Spent £20 on a cinema voucher for my eldest niece. She is currently sitting her GCSEs and I am so proud of the time and effort she has put in to them and her determination to do as well as she can so I wanted to get her something for when she finishes her exams.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback