PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

December 2016 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    here we go again folks. Good luck!
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• peony40
    peony40 Posts: 642
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello,

I'd like to join you all in December, £200 can you put down for me please.

Next year is the year I need to get on top of my grocery budget, so I thought I would give myself a trial run in December. We may have a small buffet to arrange over christmas but I will pay for this out of another budget.

Good Luck all, and thanks to those who run this thread for us.
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 003
    August 2023 Grocery Challenge: Wk 2 £31.39/40 Wk 3 £35.18/40 (savings: £13.43)
  • Oh how exciting! Thank you so much for these threads! I will join the December Grocery Challenge running from 1st to the 31st with a budget of £200. See you on the 1st!
  • Hiya can I join the December thread please and go down for £300 for absolutely everything with no excuses.
    Aiming to spend less,want less and need less.
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    I'm in again please from the 25th November to 23rd of December. My budget will be £365 It's my normal £240 plus my Nectar points and copper jars.
    This is for four people but Christmas day for 8 people :eek:

Many thanks Zippy, Coxy and Lynne x
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • My month will run from 26th November to 30th December, as it will be a 5 week month for us, celebrating Christmas as well as having visitors to stay for a week my budget is £420. This is to cover all food and drink consumed in the house, otc medication, toiletries, cleaning materials.

I'll be reading along and back on the 26th
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • I'm in, from 30th Nov to 30th Dec, for £550. Although we are going down by 2 inhabitants and one cat from 1st December, another one will be coming back from uni for 3 weeks and the one who's been living away for the last five years is bringing his young lady down for the festivities! Plus a possible visit from my mother and one of my brothers, and more than likely OH's twin brother, wife & son too. Said son is violently allergic to a fair number of things, so there will be extra expenses incurred...
    Angie - GC March 24 24 £486.13/£500: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Having learned my lesson in Nov, my Dec budget includes advanced planning of family/friends entertaining :o
    We are going to my sister's for Christmas lunch but I am providing the starters and desserts plus I've got friends round for wine and nibbles prior to Christmas, a small family meal on Christmas Eve and a big family get together after Christmas which is usually a curry night.
    Drinks will come out of a separate budget but I'm allowing an additional £50 for food in my GC.
    Consequently (sorry for being so long-winded!) my December budget will be £200.
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • hanb
    hanb Posts: 464 Forumite
    I was going to sit December out due to hardly being here but I want to keep on the straight and narrow!

We have a 2 week holiday at the start of the month and then a week away over Xmas and NY so we're not really about although we're seeing family in Scotland for NY which will mean a boot full of Scottish goodies coming home (which will be paid for from the house account so can go in this budget)!

So, after that ramble, I think I'll set the budget for £100 which I'm planning on being £50 food in the 2 weeks we're home and £50 Scottish goodies. Ish.

Good luck all, and I can't believe it's almost December!!
  • Hello :) I'm completely new - well, not completely *new* new, I joined the forum a few years ago, around the time my husband and I were planning on going bankrupt, but never posted and then I vanished, and now I'm back....because I don't think I really got to grips with budgeting. I thought I did, but then I slipped, and now I'm panicking. So I came back here and I thought a good place to start would be groceries.

So, if it's ok, I'll join for December? If you don't mind letting me in? I'll be completely honest, it's all a bit of a wild guess. There's me, my husband, 8yo and 21mo daughters, one dog, one cat, and half a dozen hens. And I usually do a big family & friends meal the week before Christmas (big as in up to 19 people including teenies, though usually closer to 10-12).

Anyway, I'm waffling. I'm going to guess at £60 per week, plus an extra £60 for the big meal, plus another £25 for the last couple of days at the end of the month. So budget of £325

Do you think that sounds reasonable? I've no idea! (see, wild guess!). I'm not even sure we'll have that much to spare (that's the stage I've reached, hence panicking, lost track :( )

Sorry for jumping in. Forgive me?
    Newbie doing the best I can :D :A

Grocery Challenge Jan 2017 £144.17/£250
    Aiming to save £2,017 in 2017 - £156 so far :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business